mrMADman14

So! Maybe this have already been suggested and maybe this is already being worked on. But, I would like to see set pieces changed.  In the way that now it is a bit boring and not so easy to work with. Well, maybe it is somewhat simple but its not so easy. What I mean, is that it takes a lot of time going through the set pieces in total, for only one tactic. And here is where it becomes even more pain in the ass. You need to work on penalties, corners, freekicks from several positions etc. for every tactic you make. AND you need to fix them every time you change your formation.

I don't have a great suggestion to make working on set pieces easier and more fun but to myself, I would love to be able to delegate set piece responsibilities and even sign a dedicated set pieces coach. Which would make the game ahellofalot more fun for me at least since I only like doing set pieces maybe one time throughout a year.

I know this probably won't be reviewed and considered for fm19 but I hope you guy will untill fm20, because right now set pieces is killing much of the will to play because set pieces is alot of the goals in the game right now.

OH and another thing I hope will be considered are the way things are delegated at all in the game. Like when I try to use a sports director to handle contracts and transfers on wishlists. They SUCK! and there should be like a list where I can put players I want to resign a contract that the director will handle. Because now need to do everything manually.

Actually i think fifa (I never play fifa but here they are on to something) have with they're career mode where you can ask the assistent manager to go sign or resign a player on some predefined terms, like transfer fee, salaries, and length of contract.

Yeah so I hope you can look into this and I hope some more people will agree on this.

Thanks!

I think that's a good idea. I heard that FC MIDTJYLLAND hired a set piece specific coach a few seasons ago and as a result managed to score 20+ set piece goals and as a direct response most of the other Danish clubs hired some too or at least employed the people for a seminar or whatever and most then scored 20+ set piece goals too.

It'd be great to hire somebody in this game and actually have faith that they know what they're doing.

It's definitely something that could do with being looked at IMO.  It's a lot of work to set up, although satisfying when you see it work.  It's hard enough making one routine for each and managing it as games, team selections and formations change how and where you deploy people.  I even find myself weighing up whether I can be bothered to change stuff when I've made a substitution that clearly weakens something, especially if it's late on in the game.

It's kind of a victim of it's own success.  Even though it's a simple system it's really customisable.

There are only two things that I can think of off hand that could help, but there's no guarantee they'd be either popular or even work:

1. Change the presentation slightly so necessary information is far more visible.  For instance, the pitch is far too big for what is being presented on it.  It could do with being a much smaller visual representation off to one side with a list of the team selection in the left with a row of all the relevant SP attributes (because their aren't all that many presented for all SP roles).

2. Instead of having different routines for attacking SPs and single roles - Be able to assign one or more possibilities that a player can perform that can be kind of randomised.  You could still set players to always stay back, but in this you could tick certain players to stay back if needed.  That way when they aren't needed they might actually do something you want them to do rather than just go forward.

You could also put your entire squad in order of priority for who you'd want to stay back.  And each player have a list of different roles they can perform if they go forward for each SP type (corner, DFK etc).

Then have a "Rule" that you set that says a set number of people stay back, or 1 more than opposing attackers etc.

This way you would only change the rule to go more defensive or risky, and by your own player list it would select the most suitable available players to stay back.  Leaving the others to randomly mix things up based on the options you've given each player for each type of SP situation.

It would still be a lot of work to set up, but you'd only NEED to do it once and then just review it as often as you like, such as when you notice a flaw in an option or you have a new squad member.

Although this would be really simple for the manager to work, the one negative I can think of is that some might find it limiting because they'd want to choose a specific delivery to match a certain player action.  And they may not be guaranteed to occur simultaneously each time using this system.

Edit: Instead of selecting one type of delivery, you could have tick boxes for each set piece so the taker would know if there are any you definitely don't want them to attempt.

So the system would end up being: 

- This available player (IE is currently on the pitch) is top of the list as the SP taker of this type.

- These are the deliveries you want available to them.

- You've selected 2 to stay back at all times, these are the top 2 available players in order of who you'd want from the squad. They stay back.

- Everyone else is therefore attacking the SP and will populate attacking roles at random based on what options you have set for each player for this type of SP.

It sounds like a lot to set the options, but certainly no more than creating multiple routines that will lose effectiveness when your selection/formation changes.  

And again, this way you'd rarely need to change anything, still end up with multiple set pieces being attempted with players only doing things you'd genuinely want them to do, and not compromise defensively due to the "numbers staying back option".

• 2 weeks later...

It's so tiring to have to redo your set piece routines every single time you change even one player involved, every substitution. Wish there was a way to preset things so it automatically sorted out the way you instruct one single time.

• 2 months later...

Archived