Steam cloud sync issues

Howdy,

Not sure yet if this is a potential bug or working as well as it could. I usually play with a cloud save since I have a work laptop I use when I travel (every week) and thus I've started to get slightly frustrated with the Steam syncing process.

It takes at least 10 minutes for the save to sync once I've turned the game of and it takes at least another 10 minutes to sync it on the other computer.

Is this something everyone experience? First the sync is 0% 0 bytes/s for about 5-6 minutes. Then it starts to actually sync, usually around 3-5mb/sec. Despite that speed it stays on 65% for another 5-6 minutes. And then it's suddenly done. 0 to 65 to complete in about 10-15min.

Normal or bug? Steam issue or FM issue?

7 minutes ago, Neotropolis said:

If this is an issue with Steam Cloud saves then it's a Steam issue and not anything that SI can look into.

Yeah, I would assume that as well. The funny thing is that I only have this issue with FM (i've had it for several versions of FM). Every other game is lightning fast when I sync it. Even with large files.

8 minutes ago, Karnack said:

Yeah, I would assume that as well. The funny thing is that I only have this issue with FM (i've had it for several versions of FM). Every other game is lightning fast when I sync it. Even with large files.

If you think it's a FM issue, then report it in the bugs forum, but I would've thought it'd be a Steam issue. Or maybe even a network issue your end but that's unlikely if it's only for one game.

1 minute ago, Neotropolis said:

If you think it's a FM issue, then report it in the bugs forum, but I would've thought it'd be a Steam issue. Or maybe even a network issue your end but that's unlikely if it's only for one game.

Thats kinda what I'm asking, if other who use the feature experience similar "issues" or if it's just me and thus a bug.

On 15/08/2018 at 15:02, Karnack said:

Thats kinda what I'm asking, if other who use the feature experience similar "issues" or if it's just me and thus a bug. 

I wouldn't say it takes a full 10 minutes for a sync to occur for me, but it does take a long time. I've just assumed it was slow Steam servers and a large FM save file. My guess is that Steam has a bandwidth cap (I get ~300K/sec on my 250Meg line transferring the save file) and since most game's save files are small it isn't as noticeable.

At any rate it's probably a Steam issue and not an FM issue. I reckon Steam can look into what the real cause is.

• Administrators

Steam Cloud isn't really built for extremely large save files from a usability point of view. It'll be a Steam issue anyway. Most likely some stale timeouts or something like that going on.

It's worth setting your Steam Download Region to the nearest server, and double checking your router settings / firewall aren't slowing things down. 

On most internet connections the upload speed will be magnitudes slower than how quick you can download stuff, so that will take time in any case.

Archived