Another rookie manager looking for help

Hi guys,

I am on my first save with Bristol City, so far pretty successful ! However, this is mainly due to my team being pretty strong on the defensive side while we manage to knick a lucky goal or two in the attack. Overal, most of my players manage to win games without having very good rates at the end of the game. Also, I would like much more "counter" goals. Quick passes up to the penalty area or even playthrough the opponent defensive line. So far it's rather coming from free-kicks, corners or lucky crosses...
I am feeling like I am missing a little something here to turn this into gold but I not sure what. Oh, and my striker rates are very chaotic. He often gets 6.4 to 6.7 rates for two games before making a huge performance the next game. My assistant however tells me he is "very consistent" (!?)

Here is my main tactic, a 4-1-4-1 (which I guess changes as a 4-1-2-2-1 when attacking) :

image.thumb.png.28ec39002bf66547ea8746fafffb9957.png

TIs :

image.thumb.png.8a418082d25a140364fcca86973ce086.png

How I want to play the game :

1) Defense : rock solid at the back.
Very solid at the back (I love a cleansheet!). What I'm going for is a defensive line not pressing much (to avoid creating spaces behind the defensive line) WHILE all the other players try to get the ball back once the opposition is in our 30 meters (eg : see below PI for the LW). This way my defense can stick in place and avoid creating holes while the midfielders harass the opponent to get the ball back and avoid easy long-range shoots.

image.png.ee35d2f68689af74fef33ddccca81937.png

2) Attack : Quick and dirty
My main objective is to score goals "wrong-footing" the opposition. Once we get the ball back, two options :
- quick distribution to the DLP which should launch even quicker the WM, IW or striker.
- or even simply bypass the DLP and go straight for the pass to my four bombing players (WM, IW, Mezz, F9).

All these players are not epic goal scorers but they are pretty quick ! Ideally, I would like max 5 passes before one of them as an opportunity to shoot. A typical play would be for instance :
- DLP taking the ball back, passing the F9.
- F9 controls in the center of the oppisition field, pass into the channel to the Mezz.
- Mezzala runs to the side with the ball then pass it to the IW which made a run inside behind the Mezz
- IW dribble past defense and try to shoot or pass it to an unmarked F9 or WM (or B2B).

I guess I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what...:(

Any help or suggestion is welcomed !

4 hours ago, Cassius said:

Oh, and my striker rates are very chaotic. He often gets 6.4 to 6.7 rates for two games before making a huge performance the next game. My assistant however tells me he is "very consistent" (!?)

I think the system asks an awful lot of him.  No partner and no one playing in the attacking midfield band.  Admittedly a couple of players are breaking from deep, which is good, but its still from deep as you are low block.  To top it off he's chasing around like a blue arse fly as a defensive forward asked to close down the keeper.  Overall its a defence first setup with a lot of demand on a lone striker.  Probably got to help him more.

15 hours ago, Cassius said:

Oh, and my striker rates are very chaotic. He often gets 6.4 to 6.7 rates for two games before making a huge performance the next game. My assistant however tells me he is "very consistent" (!?)

If a player is consistent (report) but gets inconsistent rating its likely a tactical issue.

I'm struggling to see a consistent path to goal when you don't have a counter attack.  When the IW-S runs inside with it, is the MEZ-A available?  Is anyone creating space for him or is he marked or needs an exception pass to get past defenders?  Is the MEZ in the way of the IW runs?  Where is the DF positioned?  He probably isn't making a threatening run.  Maybe the WM-A is available on far side if the IW see's him.  If the MEZ-A has it, what are his risky through ball options?  I think the MEZ is trying to rush play which really he doesn't need to do if there's not a counter attack opportunity.

Who is in position to Prevent Short GK Distribution in a 4141?  Why try to stop them progressing the ball if you want to counter attack?  If you do somehow force them to kick it long you'll have to build better attacks since you get as many counter attacks.

Archived