[FM18] Vietnam national team Challenge

DarylGouilard

As a Vietnamese, I am always proud of my country's national team, especially after we have made a huge surprise at the AFC U23 Championship 2017. So that's why I want to take on the challenge of managing Vietnam national team and take them as far as I can, hopefully I can reach the World Cup soon. In FM latest update (18.3.4), our national team doesn't have a manager, so it could be a bit easy to take over them.

Capture.PNG

For now, the AFC Asian Cup Qualifying is the only competitions that we are in, so to make myself busier, I will take control of the Vietnam U23 (just like what Park Hang-seo did) in order to review some of the prospect that I currently have an eye on. 

Competitions.PNG

Schedule (1-2017).PNG

I've build a team which consists of Vietnam's core players and some of Under-23 star players, but things will change in the future. It's still a long time until the nearest national call-up so I would approach slowly to this.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Having watched what Park Hang-seo did with Vietnam Under-23 in China, I will now try to replicate what he have done, and could slightly end up better than the Korean manager. A very decent draw, compared to the fact that I could have face Australia Under-23, Japan Under-23 and South Korea Under-23, but a lot of work to do because we ended up in a 5-team group. The team's base will still be the team that reached final in China, with just some small changes to improve the quality.

Capture2.PNG

Due to the fact that some of the players have wrong positions compared to real life positions (mostly from CB to ST), I have to make some changes from the original squad. This is the squad I am planning to call-up for both the qualifiers and the tournament, there will be some changes if any players got injured or got removed by their clubs.

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Overall, a decent performance in my first 3 matches (2 with the national team and 1 with the Under-23). It could have been better but for now, I'm happy with it and hopefully it could be a sign for something big.

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

A better performance by our national team this time, with some changes in the roster due to some players doesn't performed well at their respective clubs. Really looking forward to our next games with India to seal a place at the AFC Asian Cup. But on the other hand, there weren't any changes to the Under-23 as our next friendly games ended with the same result (2-2). I'm really worried about our chance at the AFC U23 Championship Qualifiers if we continue to perform like this.

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

A huge hit to our chance at the AFC Under-23 Qualifiers as I have lost one of my key players, Do Duy Manh for the rest of the season. The club reported that he will be absent for 5 months, so that's mean he won't be available for the qualifiers but could make the final squad for the tournament if he could recover in time. Until now, I've lost 5 players in the original squad by Park Hang-seo due to different reasons, but hopefully I could replace them with some other players and regens to improve our squad.

Capture9.PNG

Our second major tournament with the Under-23s is the SEA Games (or South East Asian Games), and honestly, we've been drawn into a "death group" and it would require a lot of work to come out the best of this group. But I'm very excited, it will be a chance to test our squad before the AFC Under-23 Championship (if we qualified, will update the result later) and to find some players and regens to play at the highest level.

SEA Games 2017.PNG

This is my final squad for the AFC Under-23 Qualifiers, this will also be the squad that will compete at the SEA Games later in August. I will based on what I will see after 4 games of the Qualifiers to decide which 3 players will be eliminated from the original squad (SEA Games only allowed a 20-man squad, so I have to eliminate 3 players from my Under-23 Qualifiers squad). My goal is to get minimum of 2 wins and a draw in order to gain a big advantage in the group, I will also set a goal of 3 wins if everything go exactly as planned to ensure we will qualify through the 2nd place.

Under-23 Qualifiers Schedule.PNG

Under-23 Qualifiers Squad.PNG

16 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Original choice of country! Are you also managing a team next to the National Team to improve the quality of your players or are you only managing Vietnam?

For now, I am only managing Vietnam and have no plan to managing a team because I want to have a big view at V-League (Vietnam First Division) and try my best to encourage players to develop to their full potential.

5 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I don't think I've ever seen Vietnam managed before in the forum.

Well, there is a thread that has done before me, that's from playerup01. They've done it in December, 2017 and they stopped when the game reached January, so I think I may continue that journey and go a bit further.

Get in there! We have qualified for the AFC Under-23 Championship! Although our performance at the qualifiers was quite decent, but I'm proud of the boys. Somehow, we've only conceded one goal when we faced North Korea, and 3 average performances against Guam, Laos and Indonesia concreted our place as the 2nd best of our group. We have qualified as the 3rd best runner-up behind Iraq and Jordan, and we will be the only South East Asian team to compete in the tournament. Now, we will concentrate on the SEA Games and try to get that gold medal.

Under-23 Qualifiers Results.PNG

Under-23 Qualifiers Group Results.PNG

Sorry for the mistake I've made earlier, but we are not the only South East Asian team to compete at the AFC Under-23 Championship as Philippines have also qualified for the tournament after came out on top of a group that consists 3 South East Asian teams.

After 2 days trying to figure out why our Under-23 team were so underperformed, I have understand why and I use SEA Games as a test. But what happen after our match with Thailand was unbelievable. (I'm sorry Thailand fans if you are reading this)

VN%20-%20TL.png

We have won the SEA Games! My first major trophy with the Under-23, but I'm not surprise as we are the only team that has a full squad and doesn't consists any regen. But it will be a platform for something big in the future, and I'm ready for it!

We%20win%20the%20SEA%20Games.png

SEA%20Games%20Result.png

Next stop, AFC Asian Cup!

Archived