Better help file

nick1408

A thread in the tactics board gave me this idea.

I think it is generally agreed that a lot of the current in-game explanations are mediocre to poor.  The best helpfile I have seen is the Civilization series civilopedia. The Civ V version is even online.  As an example, the entry for War Elephant shows the game info, strategy and historical notes as well as a lot of other information vital to the game.  The difference is that this screen shows a lot more than can be seen while actually playing the game.  Due to real estate all this information would not be possible to see.

Now imagine if when you clicked the ? in the top, righthand side of the screen you got the FMpedia.  You could click on the entry for Ball Winning Midfielder and see not only the text we have now but graphics of where they operate and possibly a historical text on how/where they have been used in the past.  Shape and mentality could be explained in further depth.  As an example, team shape is currently explained in 257 words on the FM online help.  No graphics or anything, just 257 words for everything on team shape.  I'd argue it is simply not enough for such an important part of the game.  Civ uses 143 words for one game concept - the hanse.  It even uses some graphics to indicate yields that can be gained.

I think for a complex game like FM this should be the way forward (whether ingame or online) as it would make the game a whole lot easier to understand

• 5 months later...

Archived