General and individual training details

Hello guys, please I'm really confused about training, I'd like to know how to use it effectively and have young players training and improving as I wish and not randomly, but I still didn't understand how to use the settings especially the workloads 

Can you give a bit more information please?

When you say 'Young Players are you talking about 16-18 year olds? 

If so, they will develop their physicals quite quickly, I usually then look at their attributes more closely when they approach 18.  Don;t forget they can still grow as well, a 16 year old could look great as a Poacher, but grows quite tall and becomes suited to being a Target man.

I tend to train them in more 'generalist' positions, as I feel it develops them more overall- ie: Complete Wing Back training over Full Back. Complete Forward over Target Man. This may limit their potential a bit, but it does develop more rounded players as it works more attributes.

Keep an eye on their condition - use the medical center and listen to coaches advice when it comes to intensity. Average or Light usually for me, you can burn out youngsters quite easily.

Use Tutoring heavily as well, this brings them on in terms of mentals and Player Traits - they inherit Player traits from the mentor, also some of the personality attributes.

For older players 18-23, playing time becomes more important. If you are loaning them out, make sure they are getting at least First Team status, and playing in the position you want them. Each time they get a match rating, they get a slight boost in the attributes required for that position/role. 

If they are staying at your club, then target certain attributes individually, while training them in the position you want them to play. Give them as much First Team playing time as you can afford - minimum 15 mins per game otherwise they don't get a match rating and there's no development.

Above all - be patient, very patient. You are usually looking at 8 seasons from Intake Day before you see the finished product.

@Snorks thanks for replying. It was really helpful, but I didn't express myself right. I'm struggling to use right the general and workload training. I noticed using fitness general more than 4 weeks it break players, and if I use balanced the players never improve specifically (that is obvious!!) so, my question is, because the training can be tweaked weekly, so does any change in attributes will happen weekly? Otherwise I can't understand why was meant to be like this. And how can I make the individual training more effective? As I never seen any mould by the individual training especially the focus on single attributes. Probably is my fault, that why I am asking for help and more details. I'll appreciate any help and maybe threads on the subject that I missed. Thanks in advance

OK zerniano, no problem, if I misunderstood. 

I'm not sure get what you meant by 'Workload Training' though. I assumed you were looking at individuals.

As far as Team training goes, fitness is OK for a couple of weeks pre-season, but i have found the best way to get players fit is to play friendlies pre-season (i usually arrange between 6-9), yes you risk injury, but friendlies improves both fitness and match sharpness quickly, with the added advantage of tactical familiarity as well.

AS far as the attributes go, you will need more than a week on any given category to see an increase, and even then it can be quite small, but it is the WHOLE team getting a slight boost. Individual training will increase the players attributes much quicker. Your coaches will advise changing focus more often, I ignore that.

Now I ma half way through a season where I am testing someone's 'theory' although it makes sens to me but, when setting team training these are the attributes that are trained in each category:

BALANCED: Trains all attributes equally

FITNESS: All the Physical attributes plus Workrate

TACTICAL: Anticipation, Composure, Concentration, Decisions, Teamwork

BALL CONTROL: Dribbling, First Touch, Heading, Technique, Flair

DEFENDING: Marking, Tackling, Positioning

ATTACKING: Crossing, Finishing, Long Shots, Passing, Vision, Off the Ball

Like I said, I haven't used this for long enough to say whether it works or not, but i have started this season by looking at the Team Comparison, working out which attributes my squad is weak on relevant to the league, and training the relevant category for a few months.

But it will take a few months for the benefits to become apparent in the attributes to be honest. Behind the scenes, the attributes are measured to two decimal places, so a player with, say, 14 for shooting, could actually be  between 13.50 - 14.49 - so there can be significant improvement without it showing in the attribute straight away.

Choose the individual training t compliment the team focus and improvement will be a bit quicker. 

I always use intensity on Average unless there are two games in a week, when i drop t to low in the team training, and by individual for individual training.

The speed at which a player's attributes improve is dependant on a lot of things, age, potential ability, professionaliism, ambition, personality, determination all play a part.

Patience is required with training, but stick with a structured approach, with an eye on workload (use the medical center) and you should find your way.

Attributes can take a long time to develop, so it's highly unlikely you'll notice any change in just a few weeks.

Each category in General Training aims to focus on developing certain groups of attributes.  Fitness Training (for example) will focus the development of your player's Physical attributes (plus Work Rate).  If you'd like to know which attributes are focused on under each category, check the FAQs pinned at the top of the forum in the "Please Read" thread.  The exception here is Team Cohesion which helps to blend your players together into a team - particularly useful at the start of a new season after all of your transfer dealings.

Individual player training can be useful to help sharpen up and develop particular attributes that you may want specific players to have.  Don't think of the choices as developing an "Advanced Playmaker" or "Wingback" or "Poacher" or whatever, rather think of them as nothing more than labels which group together certain attributes.  So there's no harm at all in setting your Ball Winning Midfielder to train as a Deep Lying Playmaker (for example) if you want your BWM to develop those "DLP" attributes for a period of time.

As far as workloads go, it's a balancing act.  More professional players train better and are less likely to complain about training workloads.  Players that do complain about the workload can become unhappy and unhappy players might not train very well, potentially harming their development.  Too heavy a workload can also increase injury risk, so it's up to us as managers to manage player workloads.

1 hour ago, zemaniano85 said:

@Snorks @herne79

So, if I want improve the technique attribute for example, I set ball control and individually all the attributes within that general training, will boost it faster? 

That's the basic principle, yes.

There is no "will" however, that's too much of an absolute for FM.  It can certainly help to provide a boost but there are too many other variables to give a guarantee.  All we can do is to provide the conditions so that it becomes more likely and setting Ball Control helps with that.

Although I'm currently operating at such a low level that my training facilities are virtually non-existent, usually I pay a lot of attention to developing young players.

My general habit is to keep General training of whatever category low, so that more emphasis is placed on individual training.

For General, it's Fitness in pre-season then onto Cohesion until the team dynamic is deemed good. Then it might go to Tactical.

For Individual I tend to go for generic categories such as CB, FB, DM, CM, Winger, AF.

I try to put them all on extra focus but most complain so I don't bother except with the most professional ones.

Archived