does bringing off an injured player count as a substitution?

I haven't run into this situation before and I'm not sure of the rules here. Carabao Cup game which is 3 subs + 1 in extra time. I make 3 subs during regular time, after which a player becomes injured and can't continue. So he is removed by default from the pitch. After regular time, shouldn't I be able to bring on the 4th sub? I think that's correct, and if so then you don't have that option in game. Not a common scenario though I would imagine. 

10 Substitutes

10.1 Subject to Rule 10.2, in all matches, each team is permitted up to seven substitutes of whom not more than three may take part in the match.

10.2 Where any match goes to extra time (in accordance with the provisions of Rules 14.4, 14.5 and/or 14.6), then subject to the League having obtained the prior approval of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to the application of this Rule, each Club participating in that match will be permitted to use an additional substitute (in extra time only).

Guidance
See Rule 19.1 which provides that Clubs must submit an additional monitoring form in relation to the use of any fourth substitute.  These forms will be supplied by the EFL in electronic format.

10.3 All substitutes must be nominated and included on the official Team Sheet handed to the Referee prior to the match. Not more than three substitutes of each Club may warm up or down at the same time on the perimeter of the pitch on which the match is being played.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

Basically - if you injure a player in 90 minutes and used up all your subs the player is removed from the field of play and you play with 10 men.

If it goes to extra time you can have another substitute but not the injured player.

If the injured player was injured in extra time then you would have been allowed to substitute the injured player.

But you should still have a fourth substitute available in extra time. 

It is technically correct because you removed the injured player during normal time, You then play with 10 men and gain an extra substitution in extra time but not the ability to replace someone removed in normal time

It'd be interesting to see what would happen in real life if this occurred, I sense the rule might be changed or you may as well keep the injured player on the field standing on half way until you can sub him

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

Basically - if you injure a player in 90 minutes and used up all your subs the player is removed from the field of play and you play with 10 men.

If it goes to extra time you can have another substitute but not the injured player.

If the injured player was injured in extra time then you would have been allowed to substitute the injured player.

But you should still have a fourth substitute available in extra time. 

That's interesting that the rules aren't explicit for this scenario. As it went, I finished regular time with 10 men, I was just hoping to make it to extra time when I *should've* been able to bring back on my 11th man. That was not the case though. I was able to sub out one of my 10 remaining players, but was unable to bring on anyone for the "vacant spot". Very odd, logic would dictate that the 4th sub could be used to bring on a player without taking one off I would think.

Archived