Lennons Underdog 5-2-3

Lennons Narrow.fmfMost tactics seem to be geared towards the big teams and that has never appealed to me. So this tactic is much the opposite, so much so that i would advise not to use it with any of the bigger clubs. This is NOT a possession based tactic so if you have a complex about wanting to dominate the other team then this tactic is not for you. 

FORMATION & MENTALITY

The idea behind the tactic is to get enough men back when defending but to be able to play an attacking style of football. There several important factors to consider when implementing this tactic successfully. 

As the formation is 5-2-3 this will immediately effect  some players in your squad and this is where you need to start. As i wouldn't use this with a top team because you will lose most of your creative players. Players like AMC, AML, AMR are not best suited to this tactic. Players best suited to the tactic need PACE throughout. The full backs play an important role as when attacking often have lots of space. So you want wing backs that can defend and attack. You want all your defenders to have decent pace, depending on your division, if starting at non League level set this to a minimum of PACE = 10 throughout the team. Each level of the League move this up, at Premier Level it should be 15. Of course this is not always easy espically with smaller teams. Stamina also needs to be similar.

For MENTALITY i nearly always start with ATTACKING both Home and Away. During the game though it is worth watching how it goes, if you are generally creating more chances then leave it. If your opponents start better and keep it up it is better to step in and make a change. You can drop down to CONTROL and it often makes the difference. However depending on if your opponents are much stronger it is often better to change to COUNTER. Because of having five at the back and pace throughout it naturally works to play a counter attacking game IF the need arises. Rarely i will go DEFENDING if i am getting out played by one of the big teams.  Use OVERLOAD at around 78 minutes if you need a goal, change to DEFENDING if you get it.

SUBSTITUTIONS

This is a crucial part of you being Manager. There are 3 important things to consider, BOOKINGS, FITNESS and MATCH RATING (In that order). You can't sub every player that is yellow carded but you need to keep an eye on this. Try to wait until the second half before making changes, ideally always make changes at around the 60 minute mark. look at players that have been yellow carded, players whose fitness is below the rest or if someone is having an off day. Always use you 3 substitutes between 60 - 75 minutes. Always try to have a FB or WB L/R on the subs bench as these players do lots of work.

STAFF ROLES

I personally set most of my staff to do all the jobs EXCEPT Opposing INSTRUCTIONS, set this to yourself - then ignore it!

If you allow your ASSIST MANAGER to do it, which is by default, you will get conflicting instructions. The tactic sets out the instructions and give players their role.

Ignore advice! In game you will often get advice like we are being overrun in midfield. It means nothing, the result is all that matters.

ALWAYS praise any player for playing well when prompted, the odd one does not react positively but it is worth it it for the rest that do. Morale plays a big role in this game.

TESTING

Tried this with Sunderland and Crewe and worked pretty much same in theory as both teams have little money to spend.

With Sunderland i don't look to buying any players but you can make good use of loans. The Chairman may make offers for players and generally they are useful. If i sell any players i use that towards helping the running costs. With Sunderland i had an injury crises amongst my strikers which meant i was playing Midfielders in attack. At Crewe i did not have enough Defenders. But the results at each club show that it appeared to be working.

At Crewe there is very limited money but again i never used it instead taking advantage of loans getting some decent players in at no cost! 

image.thumb.png.5a9becd996d035ddc493c2cb4743f6bd.pngimage.thumb.png.5a9becd996d035ddc493c2cb4743f6bd.pngimage.thumb.png.8d2fa38b6ac789602969f15c4193d48b.png

At Crewe the 5-0 Cup game away to Rotherham, 5-1 League game at Newport and the 5-0 Checkatrade win at Newcastle were very pleasing. Both the Rotherham and Newcastle games i was strong underdogs at yet won at a canter!

Uploaded the slightly wider version to use when you are strong favorites.

Lennons Narrow.fmf

Lennons Wide.fmf

image.thumb.png.c4a8ed9b8227e8508183bf9711df28e1.png

Just to prove why it is better to ignore advice, notice how it says 'The gap between attack and midfield is far to big and the supply from midfield isn't getting anywhere' and 'We are being heavily outnumbered by Grimsby players', yet we are winning 6-1 away from home!

Once you start becoming HEAVY FAVORITES in games it is better to drop MENTALITY to CONTROL, teams are expecting you to attack and prepare themselves accordingly. Once you break them down using Control, you can either leave it or push it up to Attacking to turn the screw.

image.thumb.png.aed49a4885a7c02a26d1cc71693cb8ec.pngimage.thumb.png.0a84636c381520d470cec739d79e2387.png

Don't be bothered about stats, sometimes i batter the opposition other times like above they have more possession, more shots but i win!

I originally wanted to use box to box midfielders but they don't work well in this game. These midfield settings really do the job.

Out of possession, they both help out meaning 7 players defending, whereas when attacking they also help out and with the full backs that equals 7 men attacking!

2 hours ago, vitoco77 said:

What is Crewe and Sunderland expectation to finish in the league? 

Crewe = Mid table, Sunderland = Play offs. But my short term aim is Promoton with Crewe and challenge for promotion in the division above.

With Sunderland i have previously been promoted and and finished in the Premier League Top 6.

PLEASE NOTE: First half of the season was fine, but once we started becoming massive odds on favorites we started dropping points in those games. A simple adjustment of WIDTH -- Fairly Narrow to Balanced made the difference. It is better to add it as a second tactic so you can easily switch between the two when necessary. 

image.thumb.png.930f6eef8bc8c88e5da04f6b20b2b456.pngimage.thumb.png.47dac21cd25fd365cdcb577357fd3f34.png

image.thumb.png.eef0a20f11f918078813563623e9e19c.pngimage.thumb.png.0b759683e7b1b7f540f0e9aaf978594c.png

Did no micro management, bought no players for either team (except loans). Mostly used auto pick for team selection, only picked teams in Cup games when i wanted to give other players a change. With a little more effort i should have done better.

My own expectations for next season with both teams will be mid table minimum, but hopefully pushing towards the top 6.

image.thumb.png.9cdf60c0162247302ff53e0fbe704aba.png

Second season has started better than i expected. Won both League games even though i was the underdog and beat Sheffield Wednesday from a Division above in the Cup which was a deserved result. This suggests that i could do ok in the Championship if i get promoted again...

lost my first game of the season (as Crewe) but still doing far better than i expected. As Crewe i have only used two variations of the tactic. I started off with the Narrow with Attacking Mentality, then later changed to Balanced width with Attacking Mentality. No other tweaking at all.

Surely there must be other people doing well also?

image.thumb.png.5232e1cecf0b628141ed6d2a08d2de5c.png

With Sunderland i believe 6th place is worse case scenario, but i am hopeful of finishing in any of the Top 5 positions.

image.thumb.png.5537d3013520825f8c2e824938e496ea.png

At Crewe i should win the League which is far better than i expected, had a good run in all the Cups...

image.thumb.png.780dfdfd070373bbe3d12a87f039e2ef.png

Although Top 6 was my target at the start of the season i was disappointed to finished 6th as i spent most of the season in 4th/5th position. However it is good progress and a big step up from the Championship but i will be expecting European Qualification next season.

image.thumb.png.0fb67e3e05435ef31c4f1dbe0bb8a396.png

First game of the season is against Crystal palace who are favorites to win the title, but after only 40 seconds...

image.thumb.png.827d076b2d496d82fa216c3e4dfaf7ef.png

after just 16 minutes... Premier League here we come!

image.thumb.png.6cebad6e12eb915a5d45ec5823fc3691.png

Won the game 7-1, already my expectations for the season have changed.

Your tactic works like a threat in my stockton save, in saison 2 we re now cruising in VNL at first place after 19 games, we won 17, lost 2. mostly starting offensive and swtiching quicly to control and defensive around 80' to protect the lead.

i recommend your tactic !

do you have plans to make players filters ?

6 minutes ago, dom.march said:

Your tactic works like a threat in my stockton save, in saison 2 we re now cruising in VNL at first place after 19 games, we won 17, lost 2. mostly starting offensive and swtiching quicly to control and defensive around 80' to protect the lead.

i recommend your tactic !

do you have plans to make players filters ?

pleased to hear it is working for someone else, the lack of feedback concerned me. You are changing the mentality correctly, although if you are winning comfortable you can leave it. players filters, what's that? TBH i like to play FM without to much micro management. It has become a game with to much detail and this can be a bad thing unless you are able to scrutinize everything  with a fine tooth comb. I try to play without to much fuss, changing the mentality makes sense.

Having said that with Crewe i am still starting games with Attacking mentality and i thought i would be doing that in this Division.

This is mad! I am managing better in the Championship with Crewe than i did with Sunderland.

I even played my squad players who were lacking fitness in the Carabao Cup against Bolton and still won!

Crazy to think this team was 1000/1 to win the Championship.

image.thumb.png.f53aa6f3e33a757607bbc1b1602d1ce7.png

image.thumb.png.82189db4b4b73834f68244422d9b5b6e.png

Promotion to the Premier League gained at first attempt with Crewe.

I started the season with ATTACK mentality at it worked wonders at first, but it soon started struggling. I switched to CONTROL and rarely needed to change it. 

image.thumb.png.005e909508b8e2839279672afffd5d1d.png

I found life harder with Sunderland, but i think the game is like that if you have a second season in the same Division as the teams have supposedly worked you out.

The tactic itself is fine, the difference between winning and losing is getting the MENTALITY right. I struggled early season but eventually went mostly with CONTROL at home and Counter away. Sometimes if neither of those worked i switched back to Attacking to recover from a 0-2 score to either a draw or win.

Archived