(FM'12) Crossing The Channel......No, Not That One....

neilhoskins77

July 2011

After being hit with a lengthy ban by the FAW for trying to bite a referee (he tried to bite me first, and may, or may not have been sleeping with my wife), I was left with a stark choice to make if I wished to continue my passion for football management in the Summer of 2011. That choice was to leave Wales, and cross the Bristol Channel in search of a football club willing to take a chance on a Welshman with only limited experience and success, and how ever much I tried to deny it, a reputation that I could have done without.

The reality was that I was going to have to go to the very lower rungs of the football ladder, and work my way back up. It was unlikely that anyone was going to come looking for me, so it would be down to me to go looking for the jobs myself. I accepted my fate with as much grace as I could muster, and started hitting up the football clubs in an area stretching from Bristol, Gloucester, North Devon, and right down to the South Devon coast.

When I got the knockback from clubs around the 10th and 11th levels, it was clear that either I wasn't as good as I thought I was, or the news of my misdemeanour had travelled well beyond the boundaries of the Principality. But within a fortnight, I finally had some interest in my services. I am fully prepared to admit that this way well have been due to the fact that late July was approaching, and with the football season just weeks away, a lot of these clubs had no players, let alone a manager.

My stock had dropped far enough as the 14th level of the game across the border. However, it was still high enough for me to have half a dozen offers on the table, though every single one of them were from amateur sides. Ranging from Totterdown Port of Bristol in the Bristol and Suburban Division One, and Woolacombe & Mortenhoe of the North Devon Division One, to Newnham United of the North Gloucestershire Premier Division. I decided south was the best option for me. I have always enjoyed spending time at the coast.

Paignton Saints ply their trade in the South Devon Division Two. An amateur side with an obscure reputation and not a single player signed at the club for the 2011/12 season. Just as well that I like a challenge! I was confirmed as their new manager on Sunday 24 July 2011, just in time to get right to work on getting some new players in, and try and make this club at least somewhat ready for the League opener in just under a fortnight's time.

--------------------------
Paignton Saints FC Profile

Ground :- Clennon Valley, Paignton, Devon. Capacity :- 1,000 (no seats).
Surface :- Grass. Pitch Condition :- Very Good.

Corporate Facilities :- Basic. Training Facilities :- Basic. Junior Coaching Facilities :- Average
Youth Facilities :- Basic. Youth Recruitment :- Average.

Club Status :- Amateur. Club Reputation :- Obscure. Finances :- Okay (£254)
League :- South Devon League Division Two (10 clubs, Rated 0.5 out of 5).
Transfer Budget :- £0. Wage Budget :- £0.

Contract :- Non Contract Basis. Salary :- N/A
--------------------------

With no staff on board and waiting on the results on adverts we had placed, and myself having no knowledge of the League, we would be starting the campaign with a group of teenage local players (greys given amateur deals), and would be hoping to bring in some new players once we got the key staff members in place.

I felt sure that the young squad would have a tough baptism into Senior football, and to try and make life as comfortable as possible for them, I would keep the system in a straightforward 4-4-2 to start with. With no pre-season friendlies arranged either, we would be going into the season blind, as well as short staffed, both on and off the park.

Transfers

| Date      | Player               | Age | Position | Nationality | From                 | To               | Fee      | 

| 28.7.2011 | Jonathan Clough      | 19  | D (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 28.7.2011 | Barry Birchall       | 18  | D (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 28.7.2011 | Terry Ludlam         | 16  | D (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | River Noble          | 19  |D,DM,M (C)| ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Michael Watts        | 17  | D,WB (L) | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Charlie Kennedy      | 19  | M (R)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Mark Read            | 19  | M (RC)   | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Jonathan Flitcroft   | 18  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Russell Boddy        | 19  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | David Miller         | 19  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Mark Smith           | 16  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Dale Gibbons         | 16  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Tony Walker          | 19  | AM (RC)  | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Colin Perry          | 16  | ST, AM(R)| ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Shaun Parsons        | 19  | ST       | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 
| 28.7.2011 | Kevin Naylor         | 17  | ST       | ENG         | Free Agent/Grey      | Paignton Saints  | Free     | 

**I'm really not a fan of the newer versions of FM, the quirks of the ME are so frustrating. I do love playing the game, and making something of my saves though. So I'm revisiting the older versions of the game. This time it's the 2012 version, with more Leagues than you can shake a big sh**** stick at. This is essentially a test of the add on Leagues that I have put in place, allowing me to test that they work, are stable, and how quick I can play.

Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down with the writing, no matter how much you enjoy seeing your saves come to life on the forums for everyone else to read and get involved with. But sometimes you just want to play the game. So this one will be a little different. There will be monthly reviews that will feature scores, transfers and League tables. I hope you enjoy it, feedback always welcome, who knows how long this one will last.**

5 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

FM12 is a game that I never really got on with to be truthful. However with any of your work I will be looking forward to it. I must say the bank balance is huge to say the least 

We're a pre match meal for the squad away from being penniless mate haha

21 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

Depends on where you eat the pre-match meal. If you splurge, like at McDonald's, you're in trouble. :D

Didn't you hear about us 10-3, we're an absolute class act down on the South Coast. We jog right on past McDonald's, and head straight to KFC ;)

7 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Great to see another Story and a very good start

What leagues you running this time? 

Thanks oche, always good to have you along.

As for the League's, it would be easier to tell you which League's are not running.

August 2011

Despite me taking the job at Paignton, the other five clubs that had offered me a chance at management all came back with renewed offers. There's nothing like feeling wanted, but I had made my decision, and would happily stand by it. Few would have blamed me for having a rethink after our opening game of the season. I took a very young and desperatley inexperienced squad along the coast to Dawlish to face Langdon, with no other staff in the club at all. We were beaten 3-0, and while we didn't play as badly as the score suggests, with two of the goals coming from the penalty spot, there weren't too many signs of an oncoming improvement either. A very card happy ref didn't help either, as he showed Barry Birchall a second yellow as he conceded the second penalty late on. The magnitude of the task was starting to become apparent.

Things would look up the following week as we approached our South Devon League Cup First Round tie against Riviera Spurs from one Division above us. After reviewing the interest from our adverts, we would bring in an Assistant Manager, Coach, Scout and Physio. The Physio was an extradordinary story, as current England physio, Gary Lewin registered his interest in the role. Believing it to be a prank of some kind, I called the 60 year old myself. No wind up he assured me, while he was employed by the FA and held a residence in London, he also had a house just outside the town, and spent quite a bit of his time down here. He had seen the advert and decided he may as well keep himself busy. Even the fact that there was no wage on offer failed to dampen his enthusiasm, and he became part of our staff.

Meanwhile, our newly employed Scout was also very hard at work. Jordan Beattie would come up with some excellent looking options for this level of football, and we started the process of looking at bringing in players who could offer some badly needed quality, experience, and height as well. We did at least manage to bring in a keeper before the Cup match, Grant Fisher is a Torquay lad who was released by his hometown club a year ago after going out on loan to Bideford. Taking the lead in that Cup match would prove to be a false dawn, as Spurs replied with four goals past Fisher, and dumped us out of the competition early on a Friday evening.

We would lift the mood at the club by bringing in eight new signings over that weekend, all in time for a Wednesday night home League fixture with Beesands Rovers. New Irish striker Marc Hughes put us ahead from the penalty spot, and when he netted a second with just twenty minutes left to play, it looked as though our first win was going on the board. Alas, it wasn't to be, as we then shipped a pair of goals in a five minute spell, and would have to settle for a draw in the end. Nonetheless, we were at least off the mark in the League, and moved off the foot of the table.

We would continue to strengthen our squad, with seven more arrivals, including a winger from Samoa who had recently won his first three caps for his nation. His dual citizenship with Ireland meant Chris Cahill didn't need a work permit. A cash injection from the Board also arrived, as they put £26,000 into the club to leave us to a more healthy looking balance of £24,500.

For our final match of the month, I finally started playing smart, and realising that we should now be considerably stronger than the opposition, decided to match them up in a 4-4-2. That would work like a charm at home to Watcombe Wanderers, and we finally got our first win of the season. Marc Hughes wouldn't find the net in this 4-1 win, but he did set up a pair of goals for his strike partner, Monday Awoyomi, who showed he could really find the net too. Chris Cahill wasn't available, as he was winning another couple of caps for Samoa, taking his total to five. We still had time for another signing to round off the month as well. Things are looking up on the South Coast.

Transfers

| Date      | Player           | Age | Position | Nationality  | From              | To             | Fee        |

| 12.8.2011 | Grant Fisher     | 20  | GK       | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 12.8.2011 | Callum Hawthorne | 21  | GK       | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 12.8.2011 | Kevin Davison    | 23  |M(L),AM(L)| ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 13.8.2011 | Marc Hughes      | 21  | ST       | IRL          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 13.8.2011 | Monday Awoyomi   | 23  | ST       | NGA          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 14.8.2011 | Ger Rafter       | 20  | D (C)    | IRL          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 14.8.2011 | Sam Christensen  | 18  | D(C), ST | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 14.8.2011 | Danny Brittle    | 19  | M (C)    | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 18.8.2011 | Kevin McKiddie   | 16  | D (R)    | SCO          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 19.8.2011 | Gareth West      | 33  | D (C)    | ENG          | Ely Rangers (WAL) | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 19.8.2011 | Sam Maude        | 21  | M (C)    | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 19.8.2011 | Anthony Taylor   | 21  | M (RC)   | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 20.8.2011 | Lewis Marr       | 22  | D (C)    | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 22.8.2011 | Chris Cahill     | 26  | M (R)    | SAM          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 25.8.2011 | Tom Cole         | 19  | D (RLC)  | ENG          | Free Transfer     | Paignton Saints| Free       |
| 31.8.2011 | Neil Lloyd       | 32  |D(C), M(C)| ENG          |Kildrum Tigers(IRL)| Paignton Saints| Free       |

Scores

Sat 6/8/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Langdon (0) 3 - Paul Patterson (68 pen, 86, 90+1 pen)
Paignton Saints (0) 0 (Barry Birchall, Red Card, 90)
Attendance :- 24. Langdon Hospital Playing Fields

Fri 12/8/11 - South Devon League Cup, First Round
Paignton Saints (1) 1 - River Noble (15)
Riviera Spurs (1) 4 - Alex Marshall (38), Tosh Taylor (70,73), Jonathan Clough (90+3 og)
Attendance :- 11. Clennon Valley, Paignton

Wed 17/8/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (1) 2 - Marc Hughes (14 pen, 70)
Beesands Rovers (0) 2 - Nicky Stainford (73), Billy Johnson (78)
Attendance :- 21. Clennon Valley, Paignton

Sat 27/8/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (1) 4 - Kevin Davison (17), Monday Awoyomi (50,89), Ger Rafter (58)
Watcombe Wanderers (0) 1 - Jack Green (62)
Attendance :- 21. Clennon Valley, Paignton

South Devon League Division Two Table, Up To & Including Wed 31/8/11

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   |

| 1st   |       | Broadhempston United | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 9     |
| 2nd   |       | Langdon              | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 4     |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3rd   |       | Paignton Saints      | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 6     | 0     | 4     |
| 4th   |       | Hookhills United     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 4     |
| 5th   |       | Newton United        | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 4     |
| 6th   |       | Teign Village        | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 4     |
| 7th   |       | Beesands Rovers      | 3     | 0     | 3     | 0     | 4     | 4     | 0     | 3     |
| 8th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     |
| 9th   |       | Harbertonford        | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 3     |
| 10th  |       | Watcombe Wanderers   | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 2     |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 2011

This would be a much quieter month in comparison to August, with just two matches scheduled, thanks in part to our early exit from the South Devon League Cup, and also with the small numbers in the League meaning a fixture list containing just eighteen dates, and with us often playing two or three weeks apart.

The first of those two matches would be early on though, as we travelled to Teignmouth to play Teign Village. It would also be the first outing of our smart looking away strip of black with white sleeves. Looking to keep our new found form going, it was looking like it wouldn't quite be our day, as we hit the woodwork twice, and had two goals disallowed, all within the first hour. But midway through the second half, Monday Awoyomi chased down Alex Steer, and forced him into a poorly executed backpass, which Irish striker Marc Hughes latched onto, and gleefully dispatched into the net to make us favourites for the three points. Unfortunately, we would return to Paignton with just one point, as with ten minutes to go, the linesman failed to draw the attention of the referee to a blatant trip by James Main on sub defender, Sam Christensen. He was allowed to play on, and crossed for Chris Doyle, who volleyed home an equaliser that was met with furious protests by our players. A point away from home wasn't the end of the world, and we were still unbeaten in the League since the opening day, but we had dropped down to 5th place.

Chris Cahill had yet to be available to us since signing. He missed out again on that game as he had turned out for Samoa the previous day, his sixth cap, as the club played their final match of Group C in the 2011 Pacific Games, which were being hosted in New Caledonia. His nation had no hope of progress after being thrashed 5-0 by Kiribati, and then losing 2-0 to the hosts in midweek. They would record a victory to finish their tournament though, as they defeated Tahiti 1-0. Cahill should now be available to us for our next match in a fortnight, though he will be hoping to win another cap in October, as they are scheduled to face New Caledonia once more, this time in a Friendly in the Samoan capital city of Apia.

When Cahill does finally make it onto England's South Coast, he'll find he has a new team mate. Ok, so they might all be new team mates to him I suppose, but Northern Irish left back Graeme Steenson has just arrived at Clennon Valley, and we're very much hoping he will be the new lynchpin on our back four's left flank. That is not news that is music to the ears of teenager Michael Watt, who has made a few mistakes, and shown that he isn't quite ready for Senior football with the First Team just yet. You just try telling him that though, as Michael is furious about his status being dropped down and not exactly too thrilled with being moved out of the Senior squad either.

With two weeks before our next match, we still had time to try and get better, and I think the arrival of Kurt Hammonds into our midfield achieves that. The 20 year old former Swindon Town youngster was actually on a trial with Hendon, a semi-pro club playing in the Isthmian Premier League, before we swooped in and lured him to the South Coast. He would have been joined by Canadian left winger Sam McHugh, who had previously plyed his trade with Northern Ireland's top tier side Larne, but he couldn't secure a work permit, and we had to continue looking.

Our second and final match of the month would be a home fixture against Newton United. It would produce our best performance to date, as we cruised to a 4-0 win. It would be fair to say we were aided in the opening spell of the match, when we were awarded two penalty kicks. The first came when Tom Goodchild went right through Monday Awoyomi on the corner of the box. The second saw Ger Rafter pushed over by Lenny Rowe as he tried to connect with Neil Lloyd's corner kick. Both were placed in the same corner by Marc Hughes, and he would complete his hatrick before the break, racing onto Rafter's header over the top, and slotting the ball into the bottom corner. Lloyd would add a rare goal of his own, firing a 25 yard screamer into the top corner early in the second half. We looked particularly dangerous from the many corners we won, and managed to get a clean sheet as well. The only downside was Chris Cahill fracturing his ribs on his debut, the Samoan International will now miss up to a month.

September had been another month of progress for our small club. Four points from a possible six points, and we're back up to second place in the place in the League. The squad has improved once more as well, which is encouraging, as we can't afford to stand still. I won't be afraid to let players go if players of a higher standard become available to us.

Transfers

| Date      | Person           | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To             | Fee   |

| 4.9.2011  | Graeme Steenson  | 22  | D/M (L)  | NIR         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints| Free  |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 13.9.2011 | Kurt Hammonds    | 20  | DM/M (C) | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints| Free  |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Scores

Sat 3/9/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Teign Village (0) 1 - Chris Wardle (80)
Paignton Saints (0) 1 - Marc Hughes (66)
Attendance :- 28. Teign Village Playing Fields, Teignmouth

Sat 17/9/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (3) 4 - Marc Hughes (11 pen, 34 pen, 45), Neil Lloyd (50)
Newton United (0) 0
Attendance :- 18. Clennon Valley, Paignton

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Fri 30/9/11

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   |

| 1st   |       | Broadhempston United | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 3     | +3    | 10    |
| 2nd   |       | Paignton Saints      | 5     | 2     | 2     | 1     | 11    | 7     | +4    | 8     |
| 3rd   |       | Teign Village        | 5     | 2     | 2     | 1     | 6     | 6     | 0     | 8     |
| 4th   |       | Langdon              | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 7     | 5     | +2    | 7     |
| 5th   |       | Harbertonford        | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 7     |
| 6th   |       | Hookhills United     | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 5     | 6     | -1    | 7     |
| 7th   |       | Newton United        | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | 7     | -3    | 7     |
| 8th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   | 5     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 5     | 8     | -3    | 5     |
| 9th   |       | Beesands Rovers      | 5     | 0     | 4     | 1     | 5     | 6     | -1    | 4     |
| 10th  |       | Newton Abbot 66      | 5     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 4     | 6     | -2    | 4     |

October 2011

Another month that would host only a pair of League matches, with three weeks gap between them. The Board announce they are satisfied with how things are going, particularly that home win over Newton United. They are still smarting over the manner of our South Devon League Cup exit though, a 4-1 home defeat never likely to earn you a pat on the back of course. A financial loss of just under £2,000 isn't the end of the world at this point, though we would like to see our attendances improve in the not too distant future.

I finally have a managerial rival in this League too, as the month begins with Colin Spendlove taking the job at Langdon, who very much did a job on us on the opening day of the season. It's his first job in the game as well, and he feels we have a lot in common and could become friends. I don't consider that particularly likely if I'm honest.

Our first game of the month would come a week into October, as we travelled to face fifth placed side Harbertonford, who were favourites to get the points and overtake us in the League table. We would continue our unbeaten run however, moving to five League matches without defeat after being held to a 0-0 draw by a stubborn home side. After Callum Hawthorne made a couple of good early saves, we slowly started to take over proceedings, and Monday Awoyomi came close to giving us the lead, stinging the keepers hands with a fierce drive. The second half saw us dominate, but Kevin Davison's effort was tipped onto the underside of the bar, and Marc Hughes was unusually poor when played in on goal, missing the target entirely. That draw saw us drop two places back to fourth place, with Teign Village and Hookhills United moving past us. We would host them next time out late in the month.

In the meantime, we would continue to try and improve our squad depth, and after missing out to Beckenham Town of the Kent Premier for the services of talented teenage winger Greg Jones, who opted for the semi-pro club, we did bring in sixteen year old Cambourne born attacking midfielder, Ray Hopkinson. He'll spend some time with our Youth side, who have a very busy schedule as their involved in a League that has 28 sides in it. However, should we elect to utilise a 4-2-3-1 formation, Hopkinson could well feature in the number ten role.

He would be joined by an addition to our striking options on the eve of our final match of the month. We were pretty shocked to be able to gain the signature of 21 year old former Sheffield United youngster, Scott Rhodes. The 5'10 striker from Doncaster has been out of the game for a while, and after a couple of trials that didn't go his way, he has agreed to move to the south coast, citing his admiration of Monday Awoyomi as the main reason. While I'm very happy the performance of both of my Senior strikers so far, the arrival of Rhodes brings genuine competition to our front line.

And maybe that arrival sparked an extra few percent out of our side, as we handed third placed Hookhills United a spanking at Clennon Valley. We were ahead in the 12th minute, Ger Rafter heading in a corner, and a second quickly followed, with Marc Hughes netting a shot on the turn. Monday Awoyomi added a third, collecting the rebound after his shot hit the bar, and firing in off the inside of the post with his second attempt. Anthony Taylor notched his first goal for the club before the break. Taylor would score again ten minutes after the restart, firing home a loose ball from close range, before United pulled one back with a low effort from range that skimmed off the wet surface into the bottom corner. But the best was saved for last in the 79th minute, as Hughes got his second, collecting a pass on halfway as we counter attacked from a United corner, and from 30 yards, producing an exceptional lob over the stranded keeper. A new record attendance into the thirties was helpful too. A great day all around.

The month would end with our failure to add another wide playing target, as Albanian native but Irish passport holding eighteen year old Fatmadh Dunisha spurned our advances, and signed an amateur contract with Bashley of the Southern League Premier Division instead. Still, we were back in second place with another four point haul from the two games this month, and were now enjoying a six match unbeaten run. The attendances were slowly going the right way as well.

Transfers

| Date       | Person           | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To             | Fee     |

| 20.10.2011 | Ray Hopkinson    | 16  | AM (C)   | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints| Free    |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 28.10.2011 | Scott Rhodes     | 21  | ST       | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints| Free    |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Scores

Sat 8/10/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Harbertonford (0) 0
Paignton Saints (0) 0

Attendance :- 28. The Hams, Harberton

Sat 29/10/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (4) 6 - Ger Rafter (12), Marc Hughes (16,79), Monday Awoyomi (26), Anthony Taylor (41,55)
Hookhills United (0) 1 - Graham Richardson (57)
Attendance :- 34. Clennon Valley, Paignton

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Mon 31/10/11

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   |

| 1st   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 7     | 4     | 2     | 1     | 9     | 5     | +4    | 14    |
| 2nd   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 7     | 3     | 3     | 1     | 17    | 8     | +9    | 12    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3rd   |       | Teign Village        |       | 7     | 3     | 3     | 1     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 12    |
| 4th   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 7     | 3     | 1     | 3     | 8     | 12    | -4    | 10    |
| 5th   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 7     | 2     | 3     | 2     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 9     |
| 6th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 7     | 2     | 3     | 2     | 7     | 9     | -2    | 9     |
| 7th   |       | Newton United        |       | 7     | 2     | 2     | 3     | 4     | 8     | -4    | 8     |
| 8th   |       | Langdon              |       | 7     | 2     | 1     | 4     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 7     |
| 9th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 7     | 2     | 1     | 4     | 6     | 8     | -2    | 7     |
| 10th  |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 7     | 0     | 5     | 2     | 6     | 9     | -3    | 5     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2011

November will be a quiet month for us, as it features just one game. It is a big one though, as they travel to face League leaders Broadhempston United, where we will be looking to overhaul them and become League leaders ourselves for the first time in this top of the table clash. It was noted in the monthly review that centre back Gareth West is progressing well in training. Other than that, everything was pretty much as we were, and the financial hit wasn't too bad this month, ammounting to a loss of less than £500 for October.

Another interesting scouting report from Jordan Beattie uncovers a defender who would become our latest new signing. At the age of just sixteen, Dublin born centre back Steve Grimes already stands at a mammoth 6'7. We bring the Irish teenager over to join us on an amateur contract, where he will attempt to prove his worth with our Youth side. He's a very interesting prospect, and I have to admit to being surprised that there were not other sides looking to take him on.

As we're about to enter the week leading up to our one and only fixture of the month, Gareth West and Sam Christensen clash heads during a training session, with West coming off the worse of the pair. It leaves him doubtful for the match on the following Saturday, which is ironic, as if he is ruled out, it is Christensen who would be likely to step into his spot.

Indeed, it was Christensen who would play in place of West when the centre back was ruled out on the morning of the match. However, it would be the other centre back who would steal the headlines. Irish defender Ger Rafter would score with a powerful downward header from a corner midway through the first half. He would then repeat the trick, guiding another header wide of the keeper ten minutes into the second half. Late on, Marc Hughes pressured a defender into a poor pass, and Monday Awoyomi nipped in front of his marker, and swept the ball home to complete a 3-0 win over Broadhempston United, as we swept our way to the top of the table.

Outside of the First Team squad, we're having some disciplinary problems, and the culprit is young left back Michael Watts. Since being moved out of the Senior squad into the Youth side, Watts has been erratic to say the least. At the end of last month, he was sent off in a match, and now after serving his ban, he has been sent off again. I issue the seventeen year old with a formal warning, and tell him I won't put up with his behaviour for much longer, and he is proving that I was right to bring in someone to replace him.

Transfers

| Date       | Person           | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To             | Fee   |

| 10.11.2011 | Steven Grimes    | 16  | D (C)    | IRL         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints| Free  |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scores

Sat 19/11/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Broadhempston United (0) 0
Paignton Saints (1) 3
- Ger Rafter (22,55), Monday Awoyomi (87)
Attendance :- 22. Headlands, Broadhempston

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Wed 30/11/11

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                 |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   |

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 8     | 4     | 3     | 1     | 20    | 8     | +12   | 15    |
| 2nd   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 8     | 4     | 2     | 2     | 9     | 8     | +1    | 14    |
| 3rd   |       | Teign Village        |       | 8     | 3     | 4     | 1     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 13    |
| 4th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 8     | 3     | 3     | 2     | 8     | 9     | -1    | 12    |
| 5th   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 8     | 3     | 2     | 3     | 8     | 12    | -4    | 11    |
| 6th   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 8     | 2     | 4     | 2     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 10    |
| 7th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 8     | 3     | 1     | 4     | 7     | 8     | -1    | 10    |
| 8th   |       | Newton United        |       | 8     | 2     | 3     | 3     | 4     | 8     | -4    | 9     |
| 9th   |       | Langdon              |       | 8     | 2     | 1     | 5     | 8     | 9     | -1    | 7     |
| 10th  |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 8     | 0     | 5     | 3     | 6     | 10    | -4    | 5     |

December 2011

The end of the year is approaching, and by the time we go into 2012, we'll be into the second half of the fixture list, and beginning the run in for the 2011/12 season. We're back to two matches for this month, with the second scheduled for New Year's Eve, the long awaited return fixture with Langdon, and the chance to avenge the only League defeat we have suffered so far in this campaign. A loss of £1,400 in the month of November left us on course to still be solvent by the end of the season, as long as the Board don't want their cash injection back anytime soon.

Jordan Beattie continues to be busy trying to find us a higher level of player and some youngsters for the future. I won't be sending him to the Summer's UEFA European Championship Finals however, where England have Qualified, and have been drawn into a Group with France, Greece and Holland.

We're turning our attention to action at a slightly lower level, our home match with Newton Abbot'66, who sit just around the mid table mark. This game will mark the mid point of the season when it's finished. That match would be a pretty lively one as it turned out. In front of a very small crowd that only just about reached double figures, The visitors lost two players to injury in the first half hour, but just before the break, Tom Cole tripped Brown, and the ref awarded a penalty. Paul Jones stepped up, and despite moving the wrong way, Callum Hawthorne managed to keep it our with his feet, and we breathe again. Before the hour, we finally stamped our authority on the match. Nick Hutchinson picked up a booking for a foul on halfway which would later prove decisive, and the ball was moved to Sam Maude in midfield. He passed it to Kevin Davison, who picked it up 40 yards from goal and immediately headed down the left channel. When he got into the box, Hodge moved towards him, so Davison slowed, and then accelerated right by him, before smashing a low shot inside the near post. The scorer would later send a short throw in to Maude, who was hacked down by Hutchinson. He earned a second yellow and left for an early bath, while Marc Hughes picked a spot right under the bar to move us out of the remaining ten men's reach. That's now eight unbeaten.

Kevin Davison's injured ribs wouldn't keep him out for anymore than a few days, but there was a possibility that we might be without Neil Lloyd going forward. That's because Southern League Premier Division leaders, Chippenham Town, have offered the midfielder a Christmas present, a semi-pro contract. I told Lloyd that I didn't want to lose him, and would like him to stay and be part of what we're trying to build here. On Boxing Day, the 32 year old announced his decision to stay with us, but on the penultimate day of the year, Chippenham came back with another offer.

On that same day, Langdon's boss Colin Spendlove decided he didn't want to be friends after all. He told the local media in Dawlish that his now bottom of the table side fully intended to put a dent in our promotion hopes on New Year's Eve. I responded by stating emphatically that I would be very disappointed if we're not occupying one of the two promotion spots, but that we would face much sterner tests than Langdon over the coming months.

That comment was designed purely to give Langdon something to think about, but it would backfire horribly in the first half at Clennon Valley on the final day of the year. Spendlove's side set about us, and had the lead just over two minutes in, Ger Rafter taking a heavy first touch while facing his own goal, and Paul Thackeray nipped in, before clipping the ball over Callum Hawthorne and into the net. We just couldn't get going, and as half time approached, an inswinging corner from Childs cleared the head of nearly everyone, the exception being Sam Maude at the far post, who couldn't adjust his feet, and the ball ricocheted off his shins and spun into the bottom corner.

The lads got an absolute rocket at the break, as I spent a good ten minutes telling them how s*** they had been. But I didn't make any changes, electing to give the same players a chance to rectify the situation. It took till midway through the half to make the breakthrough, but it finally came when Anthony Taylor launched a deep cross, and it found it's way to Kevin Davison on the far post, who sidefooted home. He would soon be sacrificed however, as we moved to a 4-3-3, with Scott Rhodes joining the two strikers already on the park. And within moments of coming on, Rhodes was at the far post, to apply the finishing touch with his head to another Taylor cross, though he did look suspiciously offside. Just five minutes later, the turnaround was complete, this time Graeme Steenson provided the diagonal ball from the left, and Rhodes found himself in space, bringing the ball down before guiding it into the bottom corner. Spendlove looked devastated, and I enjoyed every second of it!

I was given plenty of credit for that second half turnaround, but Scott Rhodes really grabbed his opportunity, and showed what he could do. Avenging our opening day thumping, and getting one over an increasingly beleagured looking Colin Spendlove were just added bonuses. As well as being unbeaten in nine, we now had four wins on the spin, and hold a six point lead at the top, though both Broadhempston United and Teign Village in second and third hold a game in hand. That last match was watched in person by Chippenham's manager, Adie Mings, a former player of theirs and now managing his hometown club. They are taking a really good look at Neil Lloyd, and we may struggle to keep him in the squad in the New Year.

Scores

Sat 10/12/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (0) 2 - Kevin Davison (58), Marc Hughes (81 pen)
Newton Abbot'66 (0) 0 - (Nick Hutchinson, Red Card, 80)
Attendance :- 12. Clennon Valley, Paignton

Sat 31/12/11 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (0) 3 - Kevin Davison (68), Scott Rhodes (79,83)
Langdon (2) 2 - Paul Thackeray (3), Sam Maude (45 og)
Attendance :- 29. Clennon Valley, Paignton

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Sat 31/12/11

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 10    | 6     | 3     | 1     | 25    | 10    | +15   | 21    |
| 2nd   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 9     | 4     | 3     | 2     | 9     | 8     | +1    | 15    |
| 3rd   |       | Teign Village        |       | 9     | 3     | 5     | 1     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 14    |
| 4th   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 14    |
| 5th   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 10    | 3     | 4     | 3     | 5     | 4     | +1    | 13    |
| 6th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 10    | 3     | 4     | 3     | 9     | 11    | -2    | 13    |
| 7th   |       | Newton United        |       | 9     | 3     | 3     | 3     | 6     | 8     | -2    | 12    |
| 8th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 9     | 3     | 1     | 5     | 7     | 10    | -3    | 10    |
| 9th   |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 10    | 1     | 6     | 3     | 9     | 12    | -3    | 9     |
| 10th  |       | Langdon              |       | 10    | 2     | 1     | 7     | 11    | 14    | -3    | 7     |

January 2012

Happy New Year. It's a good start for us, as Neil Lloyd spurns the continued advances of Chippenham Town and once more announces his intention to remain at Clennon Valley. On the same day, Wayne Rooney is named as FIFA Golden Ball and World Player of the Year, while Gareth Bale is Welsh Footballer of the Year, with Aaron Ramsey taking the Young Welsh Footballer of the Year honour. The club made of loss of £676 in December, but enters the New Year with a bank balance of nearly £20,000. The finance sheet shows no loans outstanding, so it seems the cash from the Board was a gift.

With interest intensifying in Neil Lloyd, and Alfreton Town of the Blue Square Premier League joining the race for his signature, it was decided it would be prudent to bring in another midfielder as the opportunity had presented itself. That opportunity arrived in the form of Jordan's Under-21 International Captain, utility player Jassim Alali. The Bishop Auckland born player, who turned 19 just before the turn of the year, failed to make the grade in the Blue Square Premier League with York City. He favours the centre midfield position, but can perform anywhere from left back to right wing and most spots in between. He is already the holder of five age group caps for his nation of heritage. His twin brother is a left back, who has three caps of his own, and was also released by York in the summer.

Second and third placed sides Broadhempston United and Teign Village played their games in hand early in the month, and they went very well......for us. United were held to a goalless draw by Newton United, while Teign Village were beaten at home by Newton Abbot'66. That left us with a five point lead at the top, and seven points over the third placed side, with just eight matches now remaining in the League calendar. With a trip to lowly Beesands Rovers later in the month, things were certainly looking rosy at Clennon Valley right now.

As we approached mid month, we received an injury scare, with Irish striker Marc Hughes damaging his heel jumping for the ball in training. Fortunately, the damage wasn't too bad, and Hughes would miss no more than a week, meaning he would be fine for the match against Beesands Rovers. However, Kurt Hammonds would miss out, the midfielder was sent home from training after catching the flu.

While Lloyd continued to reject offers from elsewhere, our young players who had been in the First Team at the start of the season were now being targeted. Mark Smith was lured away from us, rejecting our offer to stay, and moving instead to Budleigh Salterton of the South West Peninsula League Division One East. There were also offers made for Jonathan Flitcroft, Dale Gibbons, Russell Boddy and Terry Ludlam as we approached our only match of January. Another of our players also left for the same Division, as unhappy left back Michael Watts decided to leave to join Stoke Gabriel's battle against relegation. His performances had improved since he'd been given that warning following two quick red cards.

When we finally got to play our first match of 2012, the venue in Beesands had a dusting of snow on the playing surface, and the white stuff was still coming down, as South Devon saw freezing temperatures. It was to be a match of penalties, with the first awarded inside the opening minute. Marc Hughes danced inside and out past his marker Billy Davis, who resorted to tripping the Irishman. He slotted his 10th goal of the season into the bottom corner. We should have been turning the screw, but we didn't and in the second half Sam Maude gave away a penalty at the other end. Robbie Hickey's effort was saved by Callum Hawthorne, but he couldn't do anything about Craig Clayton tucking in the rebound. Then within seven minutes, the ref was pointing to the spot again, Ger Rafter penalised this time. Hickey stepped up again, and missed again, this time hitting the post. But we weren't out of the woods yet, and I had to shoulder part of the blame. Kevin Davison had been commiting fouls left, right and centre. He was already on a yellow when he drew the refs attention one too many times, and this time it was red. I should have seen it coming, but thought he would know better. I didn't make any personnel changes, instead moving Anthony Taylor into a midfield three. And it would pay a reward, Milsom couldn't contain Monday Awoyomi, and he managed to get a cross in, Hughes firing home from ten yards out. We nearly had another late on, Jassim Alali made his debut off the bench, and smashed a shot against the cross bar.

We'd bagged another win, but we had to work hard for that one, and I took the chance to have a word with Kevin Davison while handing him his warning about his on the park conduct. As one of our more Senior players, I expect more from Kevin, and I made sure he is very much aware of that. Meanwhile, Marc Hughes now has 11 goals from ten matches, and the vultures are starting to circle around the Irishman, with Bath City of the Blue Square Premier League the highest profile suitors.

Meanwhile, yet more of our youngsters were being targeted by clubs elsewhere, and we would lose a second player to Budleigh Salterton, as midfielder Dale Gibbons joined their promotion drive. I suppose it's not right for me to complain, as I immediately searched for new talent as soon as we had a Scout. I can't but feel a little betrayed though, these young lads were given a chance to play football and train regularly at a club that was looking to move onwards and upwards. Now I'm really hoping we meet some of these players when they're coming back the other way. I won't feel too sorry for them.

The exodus continued, David Miller was next to pack his bags, the 20 year old midfielder has accepted a deal to join St. Austell of the South West Peninsula Premier Division. He walks into their relegation fight in the tenth tier. But worse was to follow, as Irishman and leading scorer, Marc Hughes, packed his bags, and left us too. He has signed a contract through to the summer with Blue Square Premier League side Hayes & Yeading, who will pay him £200 a week. It's a big kick in the b******s at this stage of the season, Hughes has scored 11 of our 27 League goals to date.

The month ended with yet another departure, this time of one of our better young prospects, as 17 year old centre back Terry Ludlam has moved on, signing for Galmpton United of the same South West Peninsula League Division One East that a few of our players are now competing in. It hadn't been a great month off the park, but on it, we now had a seven point lead with seven matches remaining. Hopefully we could push our troubles to the side, and put another few wins on the board to secure that promotion.

Transfers

| Date      | Person           | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To                 | Fee   |

| 3.1.2012  | Jassim Alali     | 19  | M (C)    | JOR         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 20.1.2012 | Mark Smith       | 17  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 21.1.2012 | Michael Watts    | 18  | D/WB (L) | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Stoke Gabriel      | Free  |
| 25.1.2012 | Dale Gibbons     | 17  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| 26.1.2012 | David Miller     | 20  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| St. Austell        | Free  |
| 28.1.2012 | Marc Hughes      | 22  | ST       | IRL         | Paignton Saints| Hayes & Yeading    | Free  |
| 31.1.2012 | Terry Ludlam     | 17  | D (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Galmpton United    | Free  |

Scores

Sat 21/1/12 - South Devon League, Division Two
Beesands Rovers (0) 1 - Craig Clayton (54)
Paignton Saints (1) 2 - Marc Hughes (2 pen, 77) (Kevin Davison, Red Card, 69)
Attendance :- 16. Beesands Cellars, Beesands

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Tues 31/1/12

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 11    | 7     | 3     | 1     | 27    | 11    | +16   | 24    |
| 2nd   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 11    | 5     | 2     | 4     | 10    | 14    | -4    | 17    |
| 3rd   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 11    | 4     | 4     | 3     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 16    |
| 4th   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 11    | 4     | 4     | 3     | 9     | 9     | 0     | 16    |
| 5th   |       | Teign Village        |       | 11    | 3     | 6     | 2     | 7     | 7     | 0     | 15    |
| 6th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 11    | 4     | 2     | 5     | 9     | 11    | -2    | 14    |
| 7th   |       | Newton United        |       | 11    | 3     | 5     | 3     | 7     | 9     | -2    | 14    |
| 8th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 11    | 3     | 4     | 4     | 9     | 12    | -3    | 13    |
| 9th   |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 11    | 1     | 6     | 4     | 10    | 14    | -4    | 9     |
| 10th  |       | Langdon              |       | 11    | 2     | 2     | 7     | 11    | 14    | -3    | 8     |

February 2012

February started in much the same way that January had ended, as we lose another of our top players. It's another Irishman too, as centre back Ger Rafter has decided to make the move back across the Irish Sea, and he signs for Wexford Youths of the Irish First Division as they start their preparations for the new season. They are a semi-pro club, but Rafter has only been given an amateur contract. I'm gutted to lose him, he has been a rock at the heart of our defence, and also chipped in with four League goals. It could have been even worse, but Sam Maude rejected an offer from elsewhere, and is staying, for the time being at least.

The Board are now declaring themselves very pleased with the way things are going, though they are disappointed with the departure of Marc Hughes, not that I was in position to do anything about that. Kevin Davison is now the player most coveted by the Board, and despite a loss of just over £1,000 for the month, we still have a balance of well over £18,000. There won't be much in the way of income this month though, as we only have one match, and that's away from home against 8th placed Watcombe Wanderers. It would be fair to say that Budleigh Salterton were fast becoming a club I despised. And I had another reason to take that hatred to a new level, as they took a third young player from us, this time 19 year old striker, Shaun Parsons. We missed out on a young Scottish full back who I was hoping would fill the gap left by Michael Watts' departure. Shortwood United of the Hellenic Premier beat us to the signing of Lee Cochrane.

We did at least manage to get a striker in through the door. With Marc Hughes' departure, there was a spot to fill in the Senior squad, but the pickings were slim, with only two players I was particularly interested in. The main target was signed quickly, pacey 20 year old Callum Day signing on the dotted line. He's a different type of striker to Hughes, and was released by Gillingham after failing to make the grade. The second also signed, though this one was really a long shot. 16 year old Darren O'Connor is from Cork in Ireland, and stands at 6'8. He also has great strength, work rate and team work attributes. He can also play just behind the striker, which would be a major benefit I believe. His finishing needs to be improved, but he is worth a shot I think, though my coaching staff suspect he doesn't have what it takes.

We're still losing players though, and River Noble is the latest to join a side from the South West Peninsula League. The player who put us ahead in our only Cup match of the season before we were swept away by Riviera Spurs, has signed for Appledore. We're not thinking about the Cup right now though, we're focussed only on the League, and the chance we have created for ourselves to get promoted.

With gaps to fill, Sam Christensen and Scott Rhodes found themselves brought into the lineup, and Christensen headed us into an 11th minute lead at Watcombe Wanderers. But our hosts were quickly level though, and by half time, we were behind after giving away yet another penalty, Anthony Taylor the culprit this time. He came off at the break as he looked close to going the same way as Kevin Davison last time out, and when we struggled to find an equaliser, I switched us to a very attacking 3-3-1-3. It brought it's reward too, as Gareth West became the second centre back to find the net for the first time in Saints colours, and we looked on course for a point. Within moments though, Christensen was penalised for a push in the box, and once more, we had a penalty awarded against us. To make matters worse, already booked Neil Lloyd protested enough to earn another card, and he was sent off. Adam Jones blasted the spot kick right down the middle as Hawthorne picked a corner, and we had been beaten in the League for the first time since the opening day.

We had been awarded our fair share of penalties, but we had also had so many awarded against us as well, and I cracked in the press conference. I stated that the penalties awarded against us, particularly the second one, were very harsh decisions, and that one of the motivations for getting promoted was that we could hopefully look forward to a better standard of officiating. Not a smart move, as it earned me a warning from the FA. Asked if that would lead to a change in the way I went about things, I said not necessarily, I like my team showing some commitment to the cause. However, behind closed doors, I told my players I needed them to show more restraint with their tackling, especially around our own penalty box, and be more disciplined overall on the park. With six matches to go, our lead has been cut to four points, so we need to get another run going quickly.

But players are still departing from Clennon Valley, with midfielder Sam Maude the latest to move on, as he signs a £40 per week semi-pro deal with Godalming Town of the Isthmian League, Division One South. The squad that I built early in the season, is slowly being decimated by departures. Budleigh Salterton have taken yet another player from us as well, with young centre back Barry Birchall, who was sent off on the opening day, signing for them to join the trio of players who had already headed to Greenway Lane. And Dartmouth of the South West Peninsula Premier Division have also taken one of our players, this time it's Jonathan Flitcroft, the young midfielder, who has decided to move on for First Team football away from Clennon Valley. There is also a move for Russell Boddy, who has signed for Exmouth Town of Division One East in that same pyramid.

The stampede for the exit continued, with another First Team centre back, Gareth West, also leaving the club, electing to accept an offer to play for Mickleover Sports of the Northern Premier League, Premier Division. The Derby based club get the veteran to sign an amateur contract even though they are a semi-pro outfit. Teenage right back Kevin McKiddie got his debut in our last match, but even he isn't sticking around, as he leaves for Eastbourne Town of the Isthmian League, Division One South. Right winger Charlie Kennedy is the latest to join the Paignton Saints exodus to Budleigh Salterton. Not content with that, they then come back and take Jonathan Clough from us as well. It's never ending.

It was time to fight back, and I brought three players in to try and stem the flow and get us back on an even keel. 22 year old midfielder Michael Bearder was released by Chesterfield, and appreciates the chance to get back into the game. Dale Aldridge is a 20 year old centre back who failed to make the grade with Stevenage before they found their way into the Football League. However, the pick of the bunch, and the one that excites the fans is the arrival of midfielder Akim Abiola-Daramola. The 19 year old is also a former Stevenage youngster, but after failing with them, earned a second shot with Southend United. They gave him a year, and he didn't make the grade there either. The fans believe he can one day be a quality player. At the rate we're losing players, he'll need to perform to a good level right now to help us out.

But it's one step forward, and two right back. Actually thats the number of right backs we have lost, we now have no right back. With McKiddie already gone, Tom Cole has also bid us farewell, as he makes the move to Cullompton Rangers. Never mind promotion, we're going to need help just to stop us coming completely apart at the seams!

Transfers

| Date      | Person               | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To                 | Fee   |

| 2.2.2012  | Ger Rafter           | 21  | D (C)    | IRL         | Paignton Saints| Wexford (IRL)      | Free  |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 4.2.2012  | Shaun Parsons        | 19  | ST       | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 6.2.2012  | Callum Day           | 20  | ST       | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 7.2.2012  | River Noble          | 19  | D/DM/M(C)| ENG         | Paignton Saints| Appledore          | Free  |
| 7.2.2012  | Darren O'Connor      | 17  | ST/AM (C)| IRL         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 11.2.2012 | Sam Maude            | 21  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Godalming          | Free  |
| 12.2.2012 | Barry Birchall       | 19  | D (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| 12.2.2012 | Jonathan Flitcroft   | 19  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Dartmouth          | Free  |
| 13.2.2012 | Russell Boddy        | 19  | M (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Exmouth Town       | Free  |
| 14.2.2012 | Gareth West          | 34  | D (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Mickleover         | Free  |
| 17.2.2012 | Michael Bearder      | 22  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 17.2.2012 | Dale Aldridge        | 20  | D (C)    | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 19.2.2012 | Kevin McKiddie       | 16  | D (R)    | SCO         | Paignton Saints| Eastbourne Town    | Free  |
| 20.2.2012 | Charlie Kennedy      | 20  | M (R)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| 22.2.2012 | Jonathan Clough      | 19  | D (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Budleigh Salterton | Free  |
| 23.2.2012 | Akim Abiola-Daramola | 19  | M (C)    | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 27.2.2012 | Tom Cole             | 20  | D (RLC)  | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Cullompton Rangers | Free  |

Scores

Sat 11/2/12 - South Devon League, Division Two
Watcombe Wanderers (2) 3 - Jason Cook (17), Drew Mullen (26 pen), Adam Jones (81 pen)
Paignton Saints (1) 2 - Sam Christensen (13), Gareth West (77) (Neil Lloyd, Red Card, 80)
Attendance :- 13. King George V Playing Fields, Torquay

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Wed 29/2/12

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 12    | 7     | 3     | 2     | 29    | 14    | +15   | 24    |
| 2nd   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 12    | 6     | 2     | 4     | 11    | 14    | -3    | 20    |
| 3rd   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 12    | 5     | 4     | 3     | 7     | 4     | +3    | 19    |
| 4th   |       | Newton United        |       | 12    | 4     | 5     | 3     | 9     | 10    | -1    | 17    |
| 5th   |       | Teign Village        |       | 12    | 3     | 7     | 2     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 16    |
| 6th   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 12    | 4     | 4     | 4     | 9     | 10    | -1    | 16    |
| 7th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 12    | 4     | 4     | 4     | 12    | 14    | -2    | 16    |
| 8th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 12    | 4     | 2     | 6     | 9     | 12    | -3    | 14    |
| 9th   |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 12    | 1     | 7     | 4     | 11    | 15    | -4    | 10    |
| 10th  |       | Langdon              |       | 12    | 2     | 2     | 8     | 12    | 16    | -4    | 8     |

March 2012

The Board are oblivious to the chaos that we're experiencing right now by the look of it. They are still very pleased with how things are going, and a loss of £750 is not considered to be a problem at this point. Things haven't changed though, as Kurt Hammonds leaves just a day into the new month, and a day before our first of two fixtures this month. He has signed for Hemel Hempstead of the Southern Premier League, and they will pay him £35 a week.

Our home matches are so important now, and we don't have many of them left. Fifth place Teign Village are our visitors, and we need to find a way to get a result from this one. We'll have to do so without a recognised right back, so new signing Dale Aldridge plays out of position. There is also a debut for Akim Abiola-Daramola in the midfield, where he teams up with Jassim Alali. There are another three potential debutants on the bench in the form of Steven Grimes, Michael Bearder and Darren O'Connor.

The first half was tight and hard fought, and despite asking my players to be more cautious with their tackling, Monday Awoyomi still managed to get booked within 30 seconds. Goalless at the break, and Scott Rhodes had a goal disallowed right after the restart, the striker flagged offside. You start wondering if it's going to be your day, but ten minutes later, Sam Christensen crossed the ball after collecting it back from his own short throw in, and his cross picked out debutant Akim Abiola-Daramola, who found the net with a sweet half volley. Unfortunately it wouldn't be enough today though, a poor clearance, a defensive mix up, and Rob Hoyle slotted the ball into the corner. A couple of weeks ago, we'd have been disappointed with that result. After all that's happened, I'm just glad we kept eleven players on the park and didn't concede a penalty. The other results went in our favour too, all our rivals also only managing draws, so it's as you were, now with five to play.

Finally, we have some good news. After discovering that a lot of players were unhappy with the level of training, and in particular the lack of a fitness coach at the club, I approach the Board and plead to be allowed to bring in more coaches. For once, they are in a reasonable mood, and agree to my request. I immediately gather around my current staff, and ask for some reccomendations. I'm allowed two more coaches, so have targeted one specialising in fitness, and one held in high regard for his defensive coaching.

Sixteen youngsters from the Paignton area have arrived at the club as our Class of 2012 Youth Candidates. Mark Fairmond, who is the assistant manager at the club, has picked out 15 year old keeper Dominic Paddock as the best of the bunch. It's hard to narrow it down to just one, so I wont. Diminutive right back Cole Haines, right winger Daniel Constable and forwards Thomas Clark and Jon Taylor all have a shot I think. Clark and Constable both scored as the Candidates beat the Under-18's by 2-0. All sixteen are signed up to amateur deals, and will get a chance to show what they can do.

I thought we had got past the problems with players leaving, but as we approached the final third of the month, it reared it's head once more, and we lost the player that it had all started with, as Neil Lloyd decided to accept an offer from semi-pro side Leamington Spa of the Southern Premier League. There were also half a dozen offers on the table for right winger Anthony Taylor, and it appeared that his appetite for remaining on the south coast has waned somewhat. We may well be losing yet another player sooner rather than later.

With only one week to go till the Transfer Deadline, we once again find ourselves in a position where offers are coming in thick and fast for our players, and we are of course, powerless to do anything about it if they want to leave. There are no more departures before our next League match though, a trip to face Newton United. Despite our fairly average recent form, we are the favourites to win this one. I believe our weakest part of the team right now is the defence, and I don't think throwing more defenders back there is going to make things any better. So I do the opposite, and revert us to a 3-4-1-2, going with defensive wingers, and an attacking 'we'll score one more than you' attitude.

In the grand scheme of things, this was probably one of our best performances of the campaign. After both sides exchanged early shots from range, Callum Hawthorne managed a superb save on a deflected shot to keep us on level terms. We would survive a scare on the half hour mark too, Goodchild's corner met with a header by Skinner, which hit the underside of the cross bar, before being hacked off the line by Anthony Taylor. And we would be rewarded just five minutes later, Taylor clearing from the edge of his own box, Monday Awoyomi carrying the ball forward over halfway, and then sliding a through ball into the feet of Scott Rhodes, who drew the keeper, and then picked out the bottom corner. That was a huge goal for us, and we almost had a second early in the second half, a free kick from Akim Abiola-Daramola was curled into the box, and Awoyomi had a free header, but it went over the top. We survived with another piece of good fortune, when Edwards long range effort came back off the bar. Fresh legs were introduced, but we were under increasing pressure. That was relieved when Abiola-Daramola lofted another free kick towards the far post, and centre back Dale Aldridge got free, planting his header past the keeper and increasing our advantage. We switched to a defensive tactic to close out the match, looking only to counter attack.

I made sure the players knew I was delighted with them, particularly the defence, and a mention for Billy Thomas who had a superb debut for us. With Harbertonford held to a draw, and Hookhills United beaten at home, things were looking positive for us now, as we held a seven point lead over second and third with just four matches remaining to play.

But the smile would be wiped off my face, as quickly as the very next day. Anthony Taylor began what would become an unwanted cull, as he left on Sunday, deciding to sign a £20 a week deal through to next summer with Badshot Lea of the Combined Counties Premier. On Monday, he was joined by two more, left back Graeme Steenson signed an amateur deal with Royal Oak Kempston of the Bedfordshire Third Division, and young forward Colin Perry went to Galmpton United of the South West Peninsula Division One East. And on Tuesday, we lost a fourth player within days, as centre back Lewis Marr signed an amateur contract with Leamington Spa of the Southern Premier League, where he joins Neil Lloyd

Wednesday was Transfer Deadline Day, and just like we did in the weekend's match, we would have to go on the attack. My first two signings were coming from overseas, and wouldn't arrive until September and January respectivley, so we will talk about those on another day. Emanuel Otira is a 19 year old centre back who arrives right away, and is a signing that has caught the imagination of the fans. Also able to play in the full back positions,and a dual national of Sudan, he had a season as a Youth player with Boreham Wood. Also brought in is 20 year old South African dual national, Preston Jollands. He brings us back some of the versatility we lost when Taylor moved, as the Durban native can actually play anywhere but goalkeeper. He excels most as a midfielder, or behind the striker, and has been turning out for Westville Accademy. He was activley seeking a move to the UK.

By lunchtime, two more were signed up. Dave Wildig is a Cypriot born dual national who will compete for Taylor's spot on the right wing. A very ambitious and volatile 20 year old, on his day, he is capable of supplying superb service from the wing. Also brought in on that right side is 23 year old full back, Ryan Duffy-McGirr. Capable of playing at left back as well, Duffy-McGirr is a former product from Alfreton Town, and is immediatley named as the new Vice-Captain of the club, with Scott Rhodes named as skipper. Those captaincy changes were required as with six hours left of the window, Kevin Davison walked out of the club. The 24 year old Geordie has returned north, signing an amateur deal with Clitheroe of the Northern Premier League First Division North.

With little time left to waste, I'm forced back into the market again, and have to put my faith in a pair of teenagers to help us out. Alex Daniel is just 16, but the scouting team tell me that the Dewsbury born lad could become one of the best players at the club. He can play up front, behind the striker, on the right, or in midfield. Quick, skilfull, and with plenty of flair, he is an interesting prospect. Joining him as a new arrival is fellow 16 year old, Wayne Smith. Hailing from the small town of Burton Latimer in Northamptonshire, he is a left winger who can also play behind the striker or in midfield. The scouts are less sure on him that they are on Daniel, but with little time left, I had to get the best player for the position I could at the time, and he just happened to be a free agent anyway. So we now go into April's one and only fixture with an almost new squad again. In the time I've been at the club, I've brought in 36 players, and 25 have left, many players featuring on both lists. There have been more people coming and going at this football club than there has been at the towns many seafront guest houses!

Transfers

| Date      | Person               | Age | Position | Nationality | From           | To                 | Fee   |

| 2.3.2012  | Kurt Hammonds        | 21  | M/DM (C) | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Hemel Hempstead    | Free  |
| 4.3.2012  | Stephen Baker        | 16  | D (L,R)  | NIR         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 7.3.2012  | Billy Thomas         | 17  | D (CRL)  | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 8.3.2012  | Nigel Butler         | 17  | D (R)    | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 20.3.2012 | Neil Lloyd           | 32  | D(C),M(C)| ENG         | Paignton Saints| Leamington Spa     | Free  |
| 25.3.2012 | Anthony Taylor       | 22  | M,AM (RC)| ENG         | Paignton Saints| Badshot Lea        | Free  |
| 26.3.2012 | Graeme Steenson      | 23  | D,M (L)  | NIR         | Paignton Saints| Royal Oak Kempston | Free  |
| 26.3.2012 | Colin Perry          | 17  | ST, AM(R)| ENG         | Paignton Saints| Galmpton United    | Free  |
| 27.3.2012 | Lewis Marr           | 23  | D (C)    | ENG         | Paignton Saints| Leamington Spa     | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Emanuel Otira        | 19  | D (CR)   | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Preston Jollands     | 20  | M/AM (C) | RSA         | WUFA (RSA)     | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Dave Wildig          | 20  | M (R)    | CYP         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Ryan Duffy-McGirr    | 23  | D (R)    | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Kevin Davison        | 24  | M/AM (LR)| ENG         | Paignton Saints| Clitheroe          | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Alex Daniel          | 16  | AM (C)   | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |
| 29.3.2012 | Wayne Smith          | 16  | AM (L,C) | ENG         | Free Transfer  | Paignton Saints    | Free  |

Scores

Sat 3/3/12 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (0) 1 - Akim Abiola-Daramola (56)
Teign Village (0) 1 - Rob Barratt (73)
Attendance :- 18. Clennon Valley, Paignton

Sat 24/3/12 - South Devon League, Division Two
Newton United (0) 0
Paignton Saints (1) 2
- Scott Rhodes (35), Dale Aldridge (82)
Attendance :- 14. Bakers Park, Newton Abbot

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Sat 31/3/12

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 14    | 8     | 4     | 2     | 32    | 15    | +17   | 28    |
| 2nd   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 14    | 5     | 6     | 3     | 9     | 6     | +3    | 21    |
| 3rd   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 14    | 6     | 3     | 5     | 12    | 18    | -6    | 21    |
| 4th   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 14    | 5     | 5     | 4     | 16    | 15    | +1    | 20    |
| 5th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 14    | 5     | 3     | 6     | 14    | 13    | +1    | 18    |
| 6th   |       | Teign Village        |       | 14    | 3     | 8     | 3     | 10    | 13    | -3    | 17    |
| 7th   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 14    | 4     | 5     | 5     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 17    |
| 8th   |       | Newton United        |       | 14    | 4     | 5     | 5     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 17    |
| 9th   |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 14    | 2     | 8     | 4     | 15    | 17    | -2    | 14    |
| 10th  |       | Langdon              |       | 14    | 3     | 3     | 8     | 15    | 16    | -1    | 12    |

April 2012

Our next two games are against the sides sitting in second and third positions. If we can get results against those two sides, then promotion should be wrapped up. The Board are very pleased with our campaign to date, and Scott Rhodes is now the man who is being touted at Boardroom level as the darling of Clennon Valley. A financial loss of a little under £1,500 for the month is almost insignificant now.

With the Transfer Window now closed, it was a pretty quiet start to April, and we moved quickly into mid month, and our only fixture of the month, the penultimate home match of the season against second placed Harbertonford. The bookies have us as favourites for what they predict to be a very close match. They weren't wrong either!

In front of a new record attendance at Clennon Valley, the referee set his stall our early, showing two very early yellow cards in the first three minutes to Harbertonford players. We took a 12th minute lead, a cross into the box was met by Scott Rhodes, who's shot was pushed against the bar, but Rhodes collected the loose ball, rounded the floored keeper, and slotted us into a lead we would hold at half time. We would be pegged back just moments after the restart, Akim Abiola-Daramola neglecting to shepherd his man and make sure he couldn't get a cross in, and instead clattered him to the floor in the penalty box, Billy Gorton sidefooted the ball low into the net to level the match. We were fortunate that our defence held their line when a 55th minute free kick was swung into the box, the ball was headed into the corner, but the 'scorer' was one of at least four players who were offside. Then we ran into trouble. With many new players, who had not yet reached optimum match fitness, I needed to make changes, and shortly after I did, Jassim Alali had to go off with an injury. It started to unravel, and with just over five minutes to go, we failed to clear the ball twice within a matter of seconds, and Stephen Koo-Boothe stuffed the ball into the top corner. It was looking bad, I didn't have any changes left to make, and I couldn't really throw any more players forward. Fortunately, we found a way. Sub Callum Day shoulder barged Gorton off the ball and sped down the right. He curled the ball across the goalmouth, and Rhodes netted at the second attempt to salvage a point, and keep our promotion hopes very much on track!

With the other clubs in the Division quick to utilise their Youth Intake players as well, it was a very interesting day in the League, with Watcombe Wanderers leaping up into second place after their away win against Newton Abbot'66. They took advantage of us holding Harbertonford, and Hookhills United being defeated 4-3 away to Beesands Rovers. The end result means we are six points clear of Watcombe, and seven clear of third placed Harbertonford, with just three matches remaining. With a big goal difference advantage as well, three points from those matches will almost certainly be enough to earn promotion, with four enough to guarantee it, and take the League Title with it.

Scores

Sat 14/4/12 - South Devon League, Division Two
Paignton Saints (1) 2 - Scott Rhodes (12,90+2)
Harbertonford (0) 2 - Billy Gorton (47 pen), Stephen Koo-Boothe (84)
Attendance :- 36. Clennon Valley, Paignton

South Devon League Division Two, Up To & Including Mon 30/4/12

| 1st   |       | Paignton Saints      |       | 15    | 8     | 5     | 2     | 34    | 17    | +17   | 29    |
| 2nd   |       | Watcombe Wanderers   |       | 15    | 6     | 5     | 4     | 18    | 16    | +2    | 23    |
| 3rd   |       | Harbertonford        |       | 15    | 5     | 7     | 3     | 11    | 8     | +3    | 22    |
| 4th   |       | Hookhills United     |       | 15    | 6     | 3     | 6     | 15    | 22    | -7    | 21    |
| 5th   |       | Newton United        |       | 15    | 5     | 5     | 5     | 15    | 17    | -2    | 20    |
| 6th   |       | Broadhempston United |       | 15    | 5     | 5     | 5     | 13    | 16    | -3    | 20    |
| 7th   |       | Newton Abbot 66      |       | 15    | 5     | 3     | 7     | 15    | 15    | 0     | 18    |
| 8th   |       | Beesands Rovers      |       | 15    | 3     | 8     | 4     | 19    | 20    | -1    | 17    |
| 9th   |       | Teign Village        |       | 15    | 3     | 8     | 4     | 13    | 19    | -6    | 17    |
| 10th  |       | Langdon              |       | 15    | 3     | 3     | 9     | 17    | 20    | -3    | 12    |

Sad to see another story end abruptly, Neil.

This might not be the first time I've told you this, but it's probably a good idea to test custom leagues in advance of starting saves, just to be on the safe side. Some custom files tend to break the game after the first season.

20 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Sad to see another story end abruptly, Neil.

This might not be the first time I've told you this, but it's probably a good idea to test custom leagues in advance of starting saves, just to be on the safe side. Some custom files tend to break the game after the first season.

You have indeed. As I'm going back to the old games, I'm having to reinstall the custom leagues. This was essentially the test, but I decided to see if I could get enough out of it to make it a worthwhile save. I can't remember which were the decent ones, and which were not.

Archived