[FM18] Fola's Career

Fola

Unfortunately, I deleted my Anzi save so I have started a new career. The side I have decided to go with is FC Twente who currently play in the Eredivisie. 

vab5hmL.png

They are predicted to finish 9th this season which is bang on mid table in the 18 team division. Looking at the side of paper, I am certain that mid table is achievable. I don't really have any aims of this career, just going to take it season by season and see where I end up. My manager has to Continental Pro License and was a Professional Footballer at National level. 

QMneXpK.png

I'll give you a lowdown on the squad and then get the season up and running. 

The Squad

lVKSmE8.png2qFT1AS.png

The squad overall is actually quite good. We have a few very good players who I am confident will do well this season. Brought in Declan Rice on loan from West Ham and he looks like he could be a quality player in this league. Also brought in Portsmouth legend Sulley Muntari. Few of my key players below...

HfTkFNm.png

At 20 years old this guy looks like he could become a world beater. He's got a minimum release clause of £12 million but hopefully we'll be able to get rid of that soon.

jKDFHuA.png

Captain fantastic. Another solid player at this level.

2LjexKp.png

The budget version Frank Lampard. Great technical stats- excited about this guy.

D6iSGzE.png

The Moroccan Messi. Say no more.

August '17 - September '17

ylgH6qz.png

After an absolute battering from Feyenoord on the opening day we have gone on to win our last 7 matches. I have somewhat a strikerless tactic which worked very well on my old Celta Vigo career from FM17 and it seems to be working well again. I don't expect us to be up near the top come of the end of the season but it is nice to get some confidence. We haven't really played any of the big boys yet so the table is quite deceiving.  The Morrocan Messi, you may know him as Oussama Assaidi the Liverpool and Stoke legend, has had a really good start to the season. We also went 6 matches without conceding which was key to our success.

Lets see if we can keep this up...

GQlMq1s.png

It's interesting to see that the Eredivisie is now ranked 13th in Europe. Hopefully over the next few years that will improve.

gqS3PZA.png

The National Team is in complete disarray. Remember the days of Van Der Vaart, Nistelrooy, Robben... they are now ranked 41st. That would definitely be a job that I'd be interested in at some point. Jan Jansen is 70 now- surely he won't be there much longer.

wbxrZ52.png

October '17 - November '17

skuW64o.png

Somewhat back to reality with a third of the season gone but we are still doing surprisingly well. We are sitting top of the league but I can't see us staying there. Highlight of the past few months was the 4-1 win against PSV where Oussama Assaidi (The Moroccan Messi) pulled out the performance of his life. Disappointed to get knocked out of the cup so early on but gives us chance to concentrate fully on the league.

MgdVSOm.png

5 hours ago, Fola said:

The National Team is in complete disarray. Remember the days of Van Der Vaart, Nistelrooy, Robben... they are now ranked 41st. That would definitely be a job that I'd be interested in at some point. Jan Jansen is 70 now- surely he won't be there much longer.

wbxrZ52.png

In previous FM's, Jan Jansen always gets the national team coach job though I'm Dutch and I've never heard about the guy.. 

10 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

In previous FM's, Jan Jansen always gets the national team coach job though I'm Dutch and I've never heard about the guy.. 

That's because he's not real. Danny Blind has been renamed and you have to use the real names fix to correct it.

8 hours ago, Nildo said:

That's because he's not real. Danny Blind has been renamed and you have to use the real names fix to correct it.

Holy cow, I did not know that. But then again... can we be sure that Danny Blind... IS real??

December 2017

8cNM1vE.png

We are heading into the Winter Break now and I know this may be premature but I am starting to let myself dream. With 16 matches to go, we are sitting top of the table. So yeah, there is still obviously a long way to go but I just hope that we can keep this up. The one thing that I think may let us down is only lack of financial power. We are currently massively overspending on wages. Our budget is £103k a week and we are spending £116k. To put that into context, The Moroccan Messi is our highest paid player on £10k a week. Because of this we will only get 5% of any transfer fee made. Teams such as Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV will go out and spend in January I am sure of it.

Highlight of the month has to be the demolition of Ajax. The Moroccan Messi Oussama Assaidi stepped up again and bagged a brace. I will keep you updated on any January transfer action... if any. 

vbTi9nH.png

January 2017

oYKxa9Q.png

Arrives on a 6 month contract until the end of the season. He's a leader and a good character to have round the place. Hoping his experience will do us well for the second half of the season. No other transfer business. Let a few youngsters out on loan but that's it.

njkxSjg.png

January 2017

2IulRq9.png

Show me the moneh. Only £200k but happy to see a rival weakened! 

0ORrddr.png

Nice £1.5 million to add to the coffers. Finances are still looking crap though- starting to think that this second half of the season could be a struggle due to the fact we can't strengthen the squad! Terrible wage/transfer budget!

OzgwM6Q.png

3 hours ago, Fola said:

January 2017

oYKxa9Q.png

Arrives on a 6 month contract until the end of the season. He's a leader and a good character to have round the place. Hoping his experience will do us well for the second half of the season. No other transfer business. Let a few youngsters out on loan but that's it.

njkxSjg.png

Erm... this is what Lucho Gonzalez is doing in real life. Lets hope he has that killer instinct on the pitch for me...

qNgw4kP.png

WTF

Lucho was absolutely amazing for us, legend. Always seemed a nice bloke too, would never imagine him going to do something like that.

As for your career, in my FM17 journeyman I had a spell with Twente too, it was **** at first but eventually won the league twice. That's your goal now, no pressure. :p Looks like you're well on your way to do that on the very 1st season which is quite impressive! 

January 2018 - February 2018

afBP3F6.png

Image result for what is happening

It's all going wrong. 

I told you that I thought we'd struggle if we weren't able to strengthen the squad in January and that is what has happened. It does look like our run at the start of the season was just a blip and we have now forgotten how to play football. Our only 2 wins were against two of the worst sides in the division and we got VERY lucky with both of them. We are still second but if we are not careful, I can see us slipping away. Something needs to change and quick.

Oh yeah and to make things even better... this happened:

WIMKvzS.png

The Moroccan Messi- our top scorer and highest average rating out for the season.

3h0sSaa.png

#PrayForTwente

KQ2mYy2.png

On 12/20/2017 at 15:39, noikeee said:

WTF

Lucho was absolutely amazing for us, legend. Always seemed a nice bloke too, would never imagine him going to do something like that.

As for your career, in my FM17 journeyman I had a spell with Twente too, it was **** at first but eventually won the league twice. That's your goal now, no pressure. :p Looks like you're well on your way to do that on the very 1st season which is quite impressive! 

You've jinxed it mate hahaha!! 

2 hours ago, Fola said:

January 2018 - February 2018

afBP3F6.png

Image result for what is happening

It's all going wrong. 

I told you that I thought we'd struggle if we weren't able to strengthen the squad in January and that is what has happened. It does look like our run at the start of the season was just a blip and we have now forgotten how to play football. Our only 2 wins were against two of the worst sides in the division and we got VERY lucky with both of them. We are still second but if we are not careful, I can see us slipping away. Something needs to change and quick.

Oh yeah and to make things even better... this happened:

WIMKvzS.png

The Moroccan Messi- our top scorer and highest average rating out for the season.

3h0sSaa.png

#PrayForTwente

KQ2mYy2.png

Not bad to be a point behind Ajax :thup:  Shame about Assaidi's injury :( 

March '18, April '18, May '18

b2UB51H.png

Cannot actually believe it. We are actually an embarrassment. The season is over and we finish in 3rd place- qualifying for the Europa League. If'd you'd of told me at the start of the season that we would finish 3rd and get Europa League then I'd be buzzing but it's so gutting that we miss out on Champions League after being top for so long. The second stage of the season from January onwards was very poor. The finances aren't great so this summer could be an interesting one.

I will do a squad update shortly.

weDoLib.png

Squad Overview - Season 1

Image result for fc twente squad

Goalkeepers

XGsuwyW.png

Both keepers are pretty average. Brondeel was my starting GK for the majority but this is an area which I hope to strengthen.

Defenders

V1VV5LO.png

Jos Hooiveid is probably past it at this level- he'll be moved on. Peet Bijen is a good young CB but his performances were pretty poor in the second stage of the season. Declan Rice did well- hopefully be able to bring him back next season. Hidde ter Avest is a class player- may look to cash in on him in the summer though if the board decide to not increase the transfer budget. Henk van Schaik is a good young player but probably not ready for this level yet. Stefan Thesker is a very good captain- a leader too. Thomas Lam never played. Jeroen van der Lely was spent out this side by Hidde ter Avest. Dejan Trajkovki was terrible. Cristian Cuevas' contract at Chelsea expires this summer- I would to bring him in on a permanent.

Midfielders/Attackers

zdjimNr.png

Muntari was a good addition, especially on a free transfer. Danny Holla did well and was a key player for me. Lucho Gonzalez hardly played and will be moved on in the summer. Jelle van der Heyden was purely backup. Alexander Laukart did well when called upon- will probably get a bit more gametime next season. Michael Liendl was very good- the Eredivisie's Frank Lampard. Fredrik Jensen grabbed a few important goals for us- good young player. Oussama Assaidi was our best player and our top scorer. I think there may be a few clubs sniffing around him this summer. Luciano Slagveer was a good impact player off the bench and grabbed a few goals. Nikola Gjorgjev didn't feature really. Marko Kvasina was a big disappointment- expecting more from him next season. Tom Boere spent the season out on loan. Adnane Tighadouini didn't really live up to expectations. Haris Vuckic did well while Jari Oosterwijk never played.

May 2018

1Tp7TKk.png

REALLY disappointed with this. After such a successful season, I was hoping that I would be rewarded. However, it is the complete opposite. We are currently spending £125k a week on wages- our budget has now been dropped to £88k!

Next season will be a tough one.

May 2018

hyFpok8.png

Nice to see that Holland are rising up in the coefficients table. Still find it really strange that we aren't in Europe after finishing 3rd yet PSV are after finishing 4th...

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas everybody! 

August 2018 - Transfer Roundup

The season is about to start and I am really happy with my transfer business. Obviously, as you know finances were poor so I had some big decisions to make there. Also it doesn't show it below but we also managed to extend Declan Rice's loan deal for the next 2 seasons.

foyAzPY.png

In terms of outgoings, obviously the big name to leave was Hidde ter Avest. I'm a very big fan of him but he wanted to leave and we needed the money so unfortunately he had to go.

J65LgMA.png

I will keep an eye on his career, I am sure that he will do very well.

Now onto the exciting bit... the incomings!

UhTPUQO.png

Arrives on a free from Feyenoord. Spent last season out on loan to Willem where he did OK. More of a back up player.

IuLodCU.png

Had a very strong loan spell here last season. His contract was up at Chelsea so managed to bring him in on a free transfer- very happy with this one. Excellent attacking wing back and works well in my system.

xNzmTZh.png

Replacement for Hidde ter Avest. Not the best technical stats but he has great physicals. Spent last season on loan at Hull in the Championship. Got him on loan until the end of the season.

n87GnlU.png

This one may shock a few people. Not the best physicals but very happy with his technical stats. On smallish wages so not that much of a risk.

E1bVgWG.png

Actually played here the season before last before moving on to Leeds. Didn't really set the world alight at Leeds so was placed on the transfer list. Managed to bring him back here for the season. Class player at this level.

7erQ34j.png

Backup keeper. Not bad stats really.

sWMOZmj.png

The signing I am most excited about. Not sure how to managed to bring him in, especially on loan but delighted we have. We struggled with goals last season with only really Oussama Assaidi scoring any goals- hopefully this guy will be able to get his fair share too.

August 2018 - Meet The Squad

Ahead of the new season I thought it would be a good idea to give a lowdown on my squad for the upcoming season. Hoping that the layout is okay below- it will go in logical order. First image is related to the number they are in the list below.

Image result for twente team photo

Goalkeepers

Image result for jorn brondeelImage result for joel drommelImage result for jake kean

26. Jorn Brondeel
1. Joel Drommel
32. Jake Kean

Right Backs

Image result for ola ainahttp://s10.postimg.org/xssgnr3ad/37050853.pngHenk van Schaik

2. Ola Aina
28. Joroen Van Der Lely
31. Henk Van Schaik

Left Backs

Image result for christian cuevas chelseaImage result for david sambissa

3. Cristian Cuevas
27. David Sambissa

Centre Backs

Image result for stefan theskerImage result for richard jensen twenteImage result for peet bijen twenteImage result for declan rice

5. Stefan Thesker
14. Richard Jensen
25. Peet Bijen
13. Declan Rice

CDM

Image result for muntariDanny HollaJelle van der Heyden

12. Sulley Muntari
21. Danny Holla
23. Jelle Van Der Heyden

CAM

Mateusz KlichAlexander LaukartMichael LiendlJose BaxterFredrik JensenOussama AssaidiMo el Hankouri

43. Mateusz Klich
11. Alexander Laukart
18. Michael Liendl
7. Jose Baxter
19. Fredrik Jensen
8. Oussama Assaidi
29. Mo El Hankouri

Strikers

Marko KvasinaIshak BelfodilHaris Vuckic

17. Marko Kvasina
9. Ishak Belfodil
10. Haris Vuckic

I WILL ADD THE INDIVIDUAL SCREENSHOTS LATER ON. I AM OFF TO FILL MY FACE WITH CHRISTMAS DINNER.

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Not quite sure how you didn't qualify for Europa League but PSV did? :herman:

Decent signings for this season :thup: 

14 hours ago, Kubson said:

I don't think it's a bug, I think you might have been denied a place in Europe due to the finances, which sucks :( 

I think you may be right @Kubson - the finances were terrible last season but I just don't know how I could of missed it, How strange.

August 2018 - September 2018

SlaDqNn.png

Hmmmmmm well this season is not going as well as last season. I always knew that last season was probably just a bit of a blip and we well and truly blew our chance to win the league. This season a lot of sides have strengthened massively and the league it much tougher. We are sitting mid table which is probably right for a team of our standard. We started off great and Oussama Assaidi and Ishak Belfodil have been banging in the goals for us but we've just lost 3 league games on the bounce which is VERY worrying.

Just managed to get a new player in through the door. 

uvXjZJy.png

Managed to increase the wage budget slightly and bring him in. Didn't play much for Man Utd last season but I am hoping his experience of winning titles will be a valuable asset for us. Still got very good stats too.

LmEB1ta.png

October 2018

We have been shipping in a crazy amount of goals at the minute and this is the guy to sort us out. He's been capped for England, scored for England, played for Liverpool, cost collectively £17.5  MILLION already in his career and he's only 26.

Image result for steven caulker england

Say Hello to the new Mr Twente... STEVEN CAULKER.

AmkwApX.png

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Not bad start despite a blip :thup: 

Oh mate, wait until my update later. It's all going downhill.

I am playing about with a few tactics and going to start from scratch. The strikerless tactic worked alright for me last season but I need a change. Watch this space. 

October 2018 - November 2018

iIpLQyS.png

So many bloody draws.

In our last eight matches we have only lost once but frustratingly we have only won once. I have decided to keep with the strikerless tactic but changed a few roles here and there and I will see how that goes. We're on pretty poor form at the moment but unfortunately, with January approaching we just don't have the finances to improve the squad. What a difference a year makes hey? This time last season we were sitting top of the table now we are sitting only 5 points off the relegation play off spots.

dY3uWTz.png

Well maybe we can read this thread in reverse from the bottom to the top, from a midtable position to dominance in the league in the 2nd season, what a story. :D

Hope you can start turning it around back to form soon. Very unlucky with the whole Europe situation, wow.

Archived