[FM18] The Football Managing Mercenary

DerbyJack

They kiss the badge, they wave to the crowd, they cry buckets of tears and swear they do it all for the club...

...Until a better offer comes along, that is.

It’s everywhere in the sport, whether you like it or not. It’s on the jersey, in the stadium, in the heads of the players, and in the hands of the owners, money flows through the beautiful game.

The aim of this career isn't one of building a club legacy, restoring a fallen giant or grasping the most prestigious of silverware, it is simply to become the richest manager in the game. 

Cl9G9R.png

According to Football Manager these are the three men at the top of the footballing rich list, the three men that I currently have to beat.

Rather then simply taking over at one of Europe's elite clubs, I'll be starting with Sunday league experience and with no Coaching badges at all, the aim is to make it to a point when I can mix it up with the biggest earners in football management.

Emxh6L.png

With a secret yearning to fit in a long winded journeyman career, I'll be trying my best to impose a money-grabbing rule of my own.

If at any point during my hopefully long career, I happen to be offered any position offering a higher wage I have to take the job on the spot. Hopefully this will see me quickly rise into this top earners in the world as soon as possible.

I'm a football managing mercenary. Its time to see where my wallet takes me.

No loyalty. No dignity. Just a burning desire to make some money!

I've attempted and failed at this in the two previous version of this game but for the first time I don't start my career by idly lounging on a couch as the season gets underway across the country.

Just days after haplessly spraying my rather barren footballing CV to any club that might listen, I miraculously receive a quick call back with the job-offer quickly accepted before the club came to their senses.

We're off to a flying start...

rMCJTVi.png

Will this is rather ironic...

A club literally set up in response to the very Money Grabbing nature I aim to achieve in this hopefully long-career. Non the less life in the basement of English football awaits...

TgiuNIi.png

Having said that it seems the club isn't exactly eager to part with their hard-earned cash.

A comparatively tiny Two Hundred pounds makes its way into my wallet as my quest to the top starts with a 12 month contract and one of the lowest wages in the country.

With the much-hyped arrival of Salford City cruelly stealing the thunder from the once rapidly-raising Red Rebels, it's clear to see that a rather desperate board has turned to myself as a cheap option to try and claw back some attention from the class of 92's pet project. With just one pre-season game played before my arrival I have plenty of time to make an impact...

ylXErh4.png

yOeNh9u.png

A clean slate.

With the club predicted for a mid-table finish and the board more then happy to agree with their estimation, I set about into the pre-season and the transfer window looking to pull together a squad capable of lifting both the clubs and my own lowly reputations in rapid style with a rapid ascension into the football league.

...I'm probably going to be sacked by Christmas.

Lets get this sh*t-show on the road.

rMCJTVi.png

With the good people of Manchester rocked by the arrival of a third Managerial Superstar in their fine city and the fans of FC United quickly googling my name in the vein hope that I have actually achieved something in the world of football I set to work trying to get to grips with squad.

InWzE08.png

Not bad. Not bad at all.

A well balanced squad greets me at my new home of Broadhurst Park but given that talent is essentially being able to make the most off a hoofed ball whilst avoiding a brutal two footed challenge at this level, I quickly break it to them that they will be playing the most simplistic style of football imaginable for the forth-coming future. We're playing Four-Four-Two and they'll like it. 

With that said, the squad certainly contains some players who could well prove crucial this season...

5aW79Sz.png

Left winger, Tom Walker must be wondering what he did to end up playing at the fringes of English football with a Manager whose only achievement in football was to somehow actually talk his way into a job. Non the less the determined winger is ready to prove his lot to the FC faithful.

622yGEh.png

Young stopper, Lloyd Allinson is set to be one of the finest keepers in the entire division. Given that his nearest rival in the club is a Forty-Seven year old Italian with just a handful of appearances through-out his lengthy career that might not be the greatest praise he has ever received.

With my painfully simple tactics well in place and the squad ready and eager to prove their worth to their new manager we head into the pre-season full of anticipation...

...fools.

rMCJTVi.png

Arriving at the club mid-way through the pre-season, my first port of call is to plug the gaps in the first-team and make sure I am ready for the rough and tumble of the Vanarma National League.

Having evaluated the entire squad based on the opinions of an assistant manager whose judgement would suggest he couldn't differentiate between Titus Bramble and Ronaldo, this might not be the best course of action...

2hIa2eW.png

Just one departure from the entire team as I release Sefton Gonzales from the club. The fourth choice striker brought very little to the team...or the world of football. I've no room for passengers.

FkpAkGX.png

Wasting no time I plunge back into the free-agents market to bolster the squad, snapping up five, out of contract players as I look to forge a team capable of forcing their way into the race for the top of the table.

EjWQmSA.pngFrom: Out of Contract
Cost: Free

Not exactly a signing that will show my intent to the FC United faithful but young Callum Walsh at least arrives to add some much needed depth to the flanks of my flat back four. With the defensive ability more suited to Sunday League it remains to be seen if he will be able to forge a career with the Reds.

MqtTST1.pngFrom: Out of Contract

Second signing of my entire career see's promising Aussie Right-back, Perry Cotton make his way straight into my starting eleven. The former Birmingham youth player has been out of football for a year but looks ever ready to make a difference at this level.

ZYaYanS.pngFrom: Out of Contract

Continuing to strengthen the back-line, I sneak in ahead of a number of curious Non-League sides to snatch up Irish Central Defender, Ryan O'Reilly. With more defensive ability then anyone else in the squad, O'Reilly instantly makes his way into the heart of the defence.

xuPXPhm.pngFrom: Out of Contract

Robbie Leitch makes his way into the squad on a non-contract basis to bring some much needed Technical ability to our midfield. Having made his way down Britain via Motherwell and Burnley, Leitch will be keen to prove himself at this level before slipping further into obscurity. 

6vQhHQB.pngFrom: Out of Contract

Final arriving of the window see's me bringing in an International...of sorts. Mike Conneh will be looking to force his way into the right flank based solely on the fact that he is one of the fastest players in the team. With a neat cross and a hint of flair Conneh is hot on the hunt to start on the wing.

That'll do the trick.

With five signings and a team of my own creation rapidly taking shape, it's quickly dawned on myself that I've left myself with pretty much no where to hide and no-one to blame if this all goes wrong.

This should be awkward...

Preseason 2017

mnqDOJu.png

22nd July 2017
Friendly

Kb7Ly3V.png

My time at the helm of the Red Rebels doesn't exactly get off to the most encouraging of starts as we are instantly put to the sword by Non-League Leek, with only an own-goal saving my blushes. I've arrived.

26th July 2017
Friendly

D7brYRx.png

Thankfully the boys do actually show some fight in the next game as a five minute spell early into the game see's us cruise into a commanding lead to see off Welsh side, Cefn Druids.

31st July 2017
Friendly

Z6I32U1.png

Final game of a quick-fire pre-season has the club end on a much needed high, with the budding strike partnership of McCarthy and Gilchrist showing some encouraging signs with the start of the season approaching.

_______

A short but solid pre-season has the boys give me a strong sign of intent for the season ahead.

With the club scoring freely in the final two games, I'll be expecting a strong showing as the season gets underway.

I'm off to a good start then? Cheers Taylor!

August 2017

IiUNsO5.png

Before kicking a ball in competitive play, I'm keen to ensure I at least leave the club with something before this season is through as I set about picking up so much needed qualifications. With one eye on self improvement and another actually proving my worth from the dug-out its time to get this career started...

_______

HkACSem.png

5th August 2017
National League North

iS005Or.png

Well that was impressive. My tenure with FC United gets started in fine fashion as we convincingly take all three points following a trip to Brackley. A dominant midfield display ensures the Red Rebels top the table after just one game.

8th August 2017
National League North

5WH70SU.png

The boys continue their perfect start to the season as the strike partnership of McCarthy and Gilchrist combine well to see off a spirited Spennymoor. A late red card did little to change the result but certainly capped a poor afternoon for the Northumbrians.

12th August 2017
National League North

EYBKhWs.png

The winning streak comes to a quick end as we are held by Kidderminster. A dominant first-half saw us fail to capitalise on our chances scoring just the one goal with a determined Harriers firing back in the second half to deservedly tie things up. 

15th August 2017
National League North

aZIhLsy.png

The boys return to winning ways as they see off Non-League heavyweights, Southport. A two goal lead proved to be enough to keep the Sandgrounders at bay with their frustrations eventually boiling over into another late red card.

19th August 2017
National League North

tTt16GV.png

Another Three points in the bank as we sneak our way past Bradford Park Avenue. Having seemingly been headed for a stalemate, United's main threat took matters into his own hands with as Jason Gilchrist smashes home a stunning effort to break the deadlock.

26th August 2017
National League North

95KeqJX.png

Once again our winning streak is snubbed out before it even began as we are held by former Football League side, Boston. The Pilgrims clearly came to Manchester with the sole intent of snatching a point with midfielder, Steve Irwin keeping up the tradition with yet another late dismissal. 

28th August 2017
National League North

Xu5WoNF.png

The shoe is on the other foot in the very next game as York City take the game to a lackluster United, with the Red Rebels eventually fortunate to reach the final whistle with a point still firmly in their grips. Has my honeymoon period ended already?

August 2017
National League North

SF0pogS.png

With my debut month with the club going worrying smoothly the club glides its way into the top three after just seven games. With an entire season still to go its far too early too declare myself a success...but I will anyway. 

Non League Football...it's a breeze.

Archived