hemorraging goals

At first glance

• Right side of the pitch will be horribly exposed against an opponent that will take a gung ho approach after being a few goals down. Go for more conservative roles, especially once you're a few goals ahead.
  • Two attacking fullbacks with look for overlap and on control might leave you very exposed at the flanks, especially since wingers don't really track back all that much.
  • The CM(A) will leave you exposed as well.
  • Going with run at defence in combination with a lower tempo and an aggressive opponent might get you caught losing possession. In combination with the above (full backs high up the pitch, CM(A) as well, you'll be very open at the back.

A defence and attack duty in the centre of midfield will leave you very exposed and will be hard to control the midfield, this along with control/fluid telling more of your players to get involved and take more risk in transitions will be easy for an opponent to counter attack and expose as these areas lack cover naturally with the 4-4-2. At lower league level having 2 FB's on attack is also a bad idea as they will both get caught high up the field leaving your flanks exposed.

I would suggest putting one of the FB's on defend or support and changing your CM/A to a BBM as he will still get in and around the box but will also be available to track back and defend. Looking at the shouts its not clear what your trying to achieve, If your trying to play a direct 4-4-2 and attack the flanks then I would go with a structured/control mentality as this will make your wingers/forwards more attack minded and create more space for the ball be played into when being direct along with the slightly wider and pass into space shout. I would also remove the shoot on sight shout as I think this shout is intended to be used when you are desperate for a goal during a match and want to shoot at every opportunity instead of breaking down the defence.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck Plays FM said:

442 formations seem the most reliable it seems at lower league level isnt it? Just reading some articles a lot of people seem to favour this system.

General belief is that the number of "very creative" players is limited,so getting quick crosses in and having bodies in the box should get you the desired results.

I agree with all of the observations above, regarding the roles. 

I think having control is also potentially not desirable, since it pushes your players quite high up the pitch. You've got a normal defensive line, but with 3 attacking roles in defense and midfield you'll have the dual whammy of getting exposed and playing quite high up the pitch without offside trap. I NEVER use fluid with smaller clubs, until I've got a better team. 

I also use 4-4-2 with a small club, you can see what i did from 1-0 away in Seville in the Champions league in my Palace save, AT 2MINS 35 in this vid. We then went onto score 2 more using the 4-1-4-1, cos the come onto you to try to get back in the game, then you've got the bodies to deal with it, and then you just make quick breaks and mess them up. 

Essentially go to 4-1-4-1, STRUCTURED, COUNTER, all central midfield roles are defense or support, defensive full backs. Make quick transitions to the striker and wide men using Very High tempo. 

Archived