Commercial Director

This is a role of increasing importance in modern football. They are responsible for sponsorship deals and increasing the revenue of clubs. In FM we don't have this role and we have to rely on the board to sign a sponsorship deal if they ever sign one and we rely on selling players and winning trophies to get a higher amount of revenue to spend. 

The question is, how do we get new sponsors in game when the original ones expire? As they are not always renewed. 

Will we ever see a more business side to the game even if it's not exposed to us as managers but under the hood so that we can see the revenue growth of a club as the reputation goes up

Or will we ever see this new executive role being added 

26 minutes ago, FrazT said:

This has been discussed before but the consensus has been that these decisions are not part of the normal Manager's roles and are away from the footballing part of the game.  I personally doubt that this will ever happen in the game.

I understand but could it not be done under the hood? In FM the models of earning more money is fairly linear and aren't realistic. Managers count on their commercial directors to assist them in raising the clubs revenues as it allows them to sign the best player. 

1 hour ago, Amarante said:

I understand but could it not be done under the hood? In FM the models of earning more money is fairly linear and aren't realistic. Managers count on their commercial directors to assist them in raising the clubs revenues as it allows them to sign the best player. 

Really?? Most Clubs give the manager a playing budget and tell him to get on with it. The higher you go the less you deal with the financial side even players and contracts are out the Manager's hand. He says who he wants, who goes. Leaving all the negotiating to the board.

The sole commercial role a Manager has is meeting and greeting the Sponsors .

Training, coaching, and setting up tactics are all a Manager has to do well to stay in work.

3 hours ago, Chinook2000 said:

Really?? Most Clubs give the manager a playing budget and tell him to get on with it. The higher you go the less you deal with the financial side even players and contracts are out the Manager's hand. He says who he wants, who goes. Leaving all the negotiating to the board.

The sole commercial role a Manager has is meeting and greeting the Sponsors .

Training, coaching, and setting up tactics are all a Manager has to do well to stay in work.

Will we ever see a more business side to the game even if it's not exposed to us as managers but under the hood so that we can see the revenue growth of a club as the reputation goes up

Your all missing the key point where i say, under the hood as this isn't something a manager does. 

Or atleast they could tell you expected costs of things. After reaching the 4th round of the fa cup and making over a million in gate receipts i'd thought i would ask the board to buy the stadium we was renting at the time. The board agreed instantly and at the end of the season they slapt a £10 million loan and bought the stadium. We was paying something like £150k per year rent but are now paying around 90k per month for the loan repayment. Seems like a really stupid financial decision, one had i known the costs before hand no way would i have taken.

2 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

Or atleast they could tell you expected costs of things. After reaching the 4th round of the fa cup and making over a million in gate receipts i'd thought i would ask the board to buy the stadium we was renting at the time. The board agreed instantly and at the end of the season they slapt a £10 million loan and bought the stadium. We was paying something like £150k per year rent but are now paying around 90k per month for the loan repayment. Seems like a really stupid financial decision, one had i known the costs before hand no way would i have taken.

As Manager is it any of your business? You requested something(Part of the game that allows you to do far more than a real life Manager would) They costed it and found it viable. It's then on their shoulders not yours. 

In reality a Manager wouldn't even be in charge in the time it takes to build the stadium. 

All your job is to manage the team. Football Commercial Director isn't the game, it's Football Manager.

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

Your all missing the key point where i say, under the hood as this isn't something a manager does. 

What are you on about? You get a financial statement during the season you can see what sponsors pay and your income your progress or failure influences income.

Are you interested in increasing the price of the Pies in the editor?

2 minutes ago, Chinook2000 said:

As Manager is it any of your business? You requested something(Part of the game that allows you to do far more than a real life Manager would) They costed it and found it viable. It's then on their shoulders not yours. 

In reality a Manager wouldn't even be in charge in the time it takes to build the stadium. 

All your job is to manage the team. Football Commercial Director isn't the game, it's Football Manager.

Then take away the option completly and let the board make SENSIBLE decisions instead of letting you commit financial suicide because of pure guess work. 2 wrongs dont make a right! Either remove it or simply give us a hint on the costs if we do proceed.

Its pretty well known that Arsene Wenger had a big say in building the emirates stadium and the newish training ground, im also pretty sure he didnt do it BILND and had an idea on what stuff would cost.

2 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

Then take away the option completly and let the board make SENSIBLE decisions instead of letting you commit financial suicide because of pure guess work. 2 wrongs dont make a right! Either remove it or simply give us a hint on the costs if we do proceed.

Its pretty well known that Arsene Wenger had a big say in building the emirates stadium and the newish training ground, im also pretty sure he didnt do it BILND and had an idea on what stuff would cost.

Arsene Wenger may have had input possibly the dressing room and pitch. He would not have dealt with Emirates to sponsor it, the loans required to finance it, the Builders who built it, or negotiating with the authorities on planning permission. 

Arsenals board dealt with that and Arsene Wenger couldn't say no as it was going to affect his playing budget for the next 10 years(He also got a flat at Highbury)

The game should allow good and bad decisions why shouldn't it? Do you want a perfect world in the game?

The board are not you, you are the Manager. Anyway why did you request it then ? Surely you could of looked at your finances and judged from them whether you could buy a new stadium.

The price of Pies, Shirts and Sponsorships have nothing to do with a Football Manager. Stadium Building doesn't. You cannot adjust the facilities budget. It will not be added so if you want a Building & Finance Sim then FM isn't the place to look. 

Yes the game should allow good and bad decisions i agree 100% but this wasnt a decision it was pure guess work and a very costly one at that ! How hard is it if the button already exists as it currently does to add a figure to the button to see what you will be getting yourself into.

" The price of Pies, Shirts and Sponsorships have nothing to do with a Football Manager. Stadium Building doesn't. You cannot adjust the facilities budget. It will not be added so if you want a Building & Finance Sim then FM isn't the place to look.  "

Keep your pants on there kid, where do you see me asking for that stuff. I just want to know that if im allowed to request something then i should know the costs of this said request otherwise remove it because its a half assed feature.

2 hours ago, stoned_assasin said:

Yes the game should allow good and bad decisions i agree 100% but this wasnt a decision it was pure guess work and a very costly one at that ! How hard is it if the button already exists as it currently does to add a figure to the button to see what you will be getting yourself into.

" The price of Pies, Shirts and Sponsorships have nothing to do with a Football Manager. Stadium Building doesn't. You cannot adjust the facilities budget. It will not be added so if you want a Building & Finance Sim then FM isn't the place to look.  "

Keep your pants on there kid, where do you see me asking for that stuff. I just want to know that if im allowed to request something then i should know the costs of this said request otherwise remove it because its a half assed feature.

The commercial director thread title dumbo. Thats the financial side. You butted in talking about Stadium Building also nothing to do with the thread.

And when does the Chairman say '' We have the costs of the Stadium'' its £100,000,000. ''Is that OK with you Manager''? Even though he'll likely be part of it for very little of it's existence or even the cutting of the tape. And ''next question Manager''  ''Do you think our deal with Coca Cola and Pukka Pies is suitable for this club'' ''shall we charge £3.50 or £5.00 ina mega deal offer''?

This game is Football MANAGER. Nobody wants to be Football Stadium Architect, Football Pie seller, Football Business Manager.

1 hour ago, Chinook2000 said:

The commercial director thread title dumbo. Thats the financial side. You butted in talking about Stadium Building also nothing to do with the thread.

And when does the Chairman say '' We have the costs of the Stadium'' its £100,000,000. ''Is that OK with you Manager''? Even though he'll likely be part of it for very little of it's existence or even the cutting of the tape. And ''next question Manager''  ''Do you think our deal with Coca Cola and Pukka Pies is suitable for this club'' ''shall we charge £3.50 or £5.00 ina mega deal offer''?

This game is Football MANAGER. Nobody wants to be Football Stadium Architect, Football Pie seller, Football Business Manager.

Haha so instead you think its better to go to the chairman and say "look i have no clue what anything costs but i think we should buy our stadium regardless" and then for the chairman to agree even though we have no where near the funds in which im oblivious too. Seriously this is more feasable for you? Also sorry if you feel this derails the thread but i kinda think its the same subject or atleast it could be incorporated with this idea. Just anything so we are not making the biggest choices for our clubs future with literally ZERO information to go by. Stop talking wet and make some sense .

24 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

Haha so instead you think its better to go to the chairman and say "look i have no clue what anything costs but i think we should buy our stadium regardless" and then for the chairman to agree even though we have no where near the funds in which im oblivious too. Seriously this is more feasable for you? Also sorry if you feel this derails the thread but i kinda think its the same subject or atleast it could be incorporated with this idea. Just anything so we are not making the biggest choices for our clubs future with literally ZERO information to go by. Stop talking wet and make some sense .

You are talking BS!! It's better that a Football Manager game doesn't veer to far away from its role. The Chairmans Job not yours is to deal with the financial details on the Club

You ask Chairman to build new stadium he does the costings then agrees(thats your bit done). It is not a part of a Football Managers job to decide if the Financial deal is ok. 

What planet do you live on? Managers are in charge on average 18 Months, stadiums will take longer to build, that's before locating a site, planning designing it if it's all done within Five years you'll be lucky. Where in all that should FM play a part in?

PS: Read the title of the thread and the original post. Start your own thread on the topic you want to discuss.

I'm talking BS ? Can you not read or should i try to explain in a different language? Not once did i talk about BUILDING a stadium im speaking about purchasing our current stadium which dosn't take anywhere near 5 years to complete. Again ill point out to you why i think its relevant atleast to some extent to this thread as you seem a bit simple so im happy to help .... " Will we ever see a more business side to the game" before we pointlesly go back and forth on this aswell... purchasing the stadium kinda seems like a business decision to me and a large one at that. And again i'll state that im not bothered weather we can build/purchase stadiums, hotdogs, bananas whatever..... just that if the option to do it is in the game that it should be elaberated a bit more on so its not a blind choice. We go your route and pretend FM is real life and i have the ability to ask the chairman to buy the stadium im pretty sure i would have a slight idea what the costs would be before i ask or atleast there will be ways of me finding out !

My whole point here is that after keeping a tight budget for a non league club and earning a large som of extra cash through a decent fa cup run i wanted to use the cash to progress the club. I checked the amount of rent we was paying out for the stadium as to me i thought it would be the only way to gauge any costs to buying the stadium because there wasnt anything else to go by.  Now like i said we went from 150k per YEAR rent to a 10 year 90k per MONTH loan thats close to one million a year difference for a tiny club!

We can go on about realism all we like but at the end of the day we play for our enjoyment no one pays us to play FM and this pretty much killed my save which i spent alot of time on, so im with the OP on something needs to be done on the financial side of the game because its way too much of a grey area atm. Either that or remove the option for us entirely and make the chairman do his job a bit better so we dont have our saves ruined by stupidness like this.

6 hours ago, stoned_assasin said:

I'm talking BS ? Can you not read or should i try to explain in a different language? Not once did i talk about BUILDING a stadium im speaking about purchasing our current stadium which dosn't take anywhere near 5 years to complete. Again ill point out to you why i think its relevant atleast to some extent to this thread as you seem a bit simple so im happy to help .... " Will we ever see a more business side to the game" before we pointlesly go back and forth on this aswell... purchasing the stadium kinda seems like a business decision to me and a large one at that. And again i'll state that im not bothered weather we can build/purchase stadiums, hotdogs, bananas whatever..... just that if the option to do it is in the game that it should be elaberated a bit more on so its not a blind choice. We go your route and pretend FM is real life and i have the ability to ask the chairman to buy the stadium im pretty sure i would have a slight idea what the costs would be before i ask or atleast there will be ways of me finding out !

My whole point here is that after keeping a tight budget for a non league club and earning a large som of extra cash through a decent fa cup run i wanted to use the cash to progress the club. I checked the amount of rent we was paying out for the stadium as to me i thought it would be the only way to gauge any costs to buying the stadium because there wasnt anything else to go by.  Now like i said we went from 150k per YEAR rent to a 10 year 90k per MONTH loan thats close to one million a year difference for a tiny club!

We can go on about realism all we like but at the end of the day we play for our enjoyment no one pays us to play FM and this pretty much killed my save which i spent alot of time on, so im with the OP on something needs to be done on the financial side of the game because its way too much of a grey area atm. Either that or remove the option for us entirely and make the chairman do his job a bit better so we dont have our saves ruined by stupidness like this.

The child in you is reaching out. Failing to use the quote icon so you can argue without me seeing. If it's not past your Bed Time yet I'll explain

I'll put it in simple terms:-

This thread is about a Commercial Director who would have nothing to do with building a stadium, buying a stadium.

This thread and what you want to do is a part of a Football Club's business that has nothing to do with a Football Manager.

You are going on about Facility management and the financial aspects of your stadium, again nothing to do with a Football Manager but as part of FM being  game you are given an option to inquire on issues. You asked the board to Buy. The board have costed and agreed. The end. You dont like the finances of it. Tough!!! You are the Manager it's none of your business anymore.

Now read slowly THIS IS FOOTBALL MANAGER a FOOTBALL MANAGING GAME. IT IS NOT DIRECTOR OF COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY

If you want your bit added create a thread and put your point out in the open. 

• FrazT locked this topic

Archived