Just a little wish list.

Hilly27

Firstly I would like the game to have a different match engine for friendlies. It would improve immersion, make friendlies more realistic, and stop the Ass. Man. wanting to kick half the opposition up in the air in a testimonial game for a long serving player.

Talking of the Ass. Man. I would like the game to give me an Ass. Man. who actually thinks it's a good idea to mark or at least close down the opposition striker. Unless it's Sergio Aguero or similar, the Ass.Man. thinks it's fine to let the striker wander about unsupervised, but will tell you to close down a centre half. I cannot remember an FM version where the Ass.Man. routinely will suggest closing down and/or tight marking a striker.

Get the referees list right. For years, far to frequently you go to a game and the referee is 'Mr Unknown'. This can happen in some more obscure matches, but in my latest FM17 save, I'm playing in the Community Shield and 'Mr Unknown'  is officiating.

Whilst it's good to have improvements year on year, I just wish the game would move on a bit quicker.

Get rid of social media and bring back subscribing, or at least make social media completely optional, perhaps an option at the start of a new game.

Sort out unhappy players. It's a real pain. Rotation players should be quite happy turning out in League cup and FA cup games, with the odd league game thrown in, especially young players. 

Not too much to ask for, is it? :)

12/10/2017 - I've just thought of the other thing that's a real problem. Players in your U.23/Reserve Team, when selected to play in the first team, remain available for the reserves. As a consequence, they may not be fit enough to play in the game you want them for. Surely it would be a simple thing that if a reserve is selected in the first team squad, he should automatically be unavailable for selection for the U.23's/Reserve squad. Promoting him then demoting him again always causes issues, plus I really don't want to take over running the reserves on the odd occasion I need one of their players.

2 hours ago, Hilly27 said:

Firstly I would like the game to have a different match engine for friendlies. It would improve immersion, make friendlies more realistic, and stop the Ass. Man. wanting to kick half the opposition up in the air in a testimonial game for a long serving player.

Entire list is good, but quoted part could be expanded on low level cups. Imagine you have player with low professionalism and he's asked to play a game in early rounds of League Cup or even that EFL Trophy where youth teams of Premier League teams play. Such player should have very little interest in a game and should play way below his actual level. He should've problems with motivating himself for the match. This way you could get entire teams not motivated enough (due to poor team talk) for a lower league opposition in FA Cup and some giant killing stories would happen.

1 hour ago, nie jem frytek said:

Entire list is good, but quoted part could be expanded on low level cups. Imagine you have player with low professionalism and he's asked to play a game in early rounds of League Cup or even that EFL Trophy where youth teams of Premier League teams play. Such player should have very little interest in a game and should play way below his actual level. He should've problems with motivating himself for the match. This way you could get entire teams not motivated enough (due to poor team talk) for a lower league opposition in FA Cup and some giant killing stories would happen.

Hadn't thought of that. Is the match engine sufficiently versatile to replicate different standards of football? i.e. CL too Conference South.  Not having any idea how the ME actually works it's difficult to know. I sometimes wonder how much of the data the ME reads, e.g. player attributes, physical fitness and condition etc.  It is a computer programme after all, but I'm sure most of us, (at least the honest one's among us), have reloaded a save and then got an entirely different outcome.  So how much does the ME rely on the actual data, and how does it throw in that huge random factor?

As an example, in my current save as Tottenham I operate effectively two squads, my first team for the PL and big Euro games, and a second team to try to get through the League Cup etc. My second team is very good, with the likes of Winks, Trippier, Davies etc.

So my seconds have played away to Schalke on the Wednesday and got a good win. The following Tuesday, I'm away to Huddersfield in the LC. The team Huddersfield put out is virtually the same as for their Saturday Championship game, (which they lost), and my team is the fresh as a daisy second team that so convinced against Schalke. So my team is fitter, better, fresher with great morale, and theirs is low on morale, nowhere near as good, and pretty tired after their Saturday exertions. After 30mins, I'm 3-0 down having barely had a kick. A few kind words at half time produce a second half goal, but little else, despite the fact that looking at Huddersfield's fitness, most of them are running on one leg for most of the second half.

So what is the ME reading to produce a game like that? It was no freak result, they outmatched me in possession and shots on and off target. This same team never produced another performance like that in the rest of the season. As for Huddersfield, knocked out in the next round by MK Dons, and ended up mid-table mediocrities.

So my point is I don't think the current match engine would be up to the versatility required to implement your interesting suggestion. But what do I know ? :seagull:

The ME calculates the movement & decisions of every single thing on the pitch 16 times each game second.

As I understand it for player's decisions it includes all relevant attributes which are probably modified by hidden attributes pre game as well as their mental state which is also altered on the fly by events that happen on the field.

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

The ME calculates the movement & decisions of every single thing on the pitch 16 times each game second.

As I understand it for player's decisions it includes all relevant attributes which are probably modified by hidden attributes pre game as well as their mental state which is also altered on the fly by events that happen on the field.

Which is nice, so why couldn't it calculate that Huddersfield were on their knees against a much fitter, stronger and more talented team, and allow me to roll them over, tee hee :). More seriously, as players, I think it would be really helpful if SI produced a report on how the ME works, just broad brush strokes to give the players a better understanding.

• 1 month later...

Archived