[FM17] I'm bad at picking titles, so this might take a Kaiserslautern for the worst

TheJanitor

And we're off to a horrible start!

This is my first career update. I couldn't engage with any save this year, but after reading a few threads here I got inspired and decided to give this game a last go before moving on to FM18.

1.FC Kaiserslautern

3605319.png

One of German football's definitive "Sleeping Giants", Kaiserslautern we're quite big in the 90's, winning two Bundesliga championship, the DFB-Pokal twice and the Supercup once. They are also notable for jump-starting the careers of some of the best players in Germany, with Andreas Brehme, Michael Ballack and Miroslav Klose being some of the more notable ones. However, they are now (16/17 season) starting their fifth season the second division, and lack such illustrious names in their disposal.

"I believe I can be the catalyst to spark a revival" - Some bloke.

2016/17 Season Preview

1617prev.png

Combining the media predictions with the facts that the board expects a top-half finish and I play without the first transfer window, I wouldn't be crushed if we miss out on a promotion in the first season. I mean, Stuttgart and Hannover are pretty much Bundesliga sides playing in the second division. Still, we have one of the strongest squads in the league and could definitly mount a challenge here.

Squad

Click here

Looking through this lot, I get that if we do end up promoted and shake-up would be needed. A few names I recognize like Halfar and Mujdza but a general lack of quality and depth. Some good youngsters like Pollersbeck and Koch though, and a Professional squad personality which is good for players development.

Tactics

1617tactics.png1617tactics2.png

• 4-3-1-2: I wanted to try something new, and since my assistant thinks this is the most fitting formation, I went with this.
  • 4-1-2-2-1: A fall-back since we lack depth in midfield and upfront.

Right, this is how I'm setting up. Hopefully I could have a good long-term save here and keep you a little bit entertained. Wish me luck!

2016/17 Season - August

1617august.png

The game against 1860 Munchen was peak FM:

munchenstats.png

We controlled the game, but from the start it seemed like one of those days. We couldn't create good chances and ended up loosing to a late counter attack. At least I'm not a sure loser:

482730_20170922180122_1.png

482730_20170922180109_1.png

:lol: What a *****

Thankfully, the rest of the month went really well. We made it through the first round of the DFB-Pokal (1860 Munchen didn't :)) with an empatic win over Bremer, and drawed HSV for the next round.

Table

1617augusttable.png

Not a bad start, but still a long time to go.

Player of the Month

Marlon Frey - Not a player I expected to put the sort of performances he did this month, but he was vital in our run. Scored the winning goal against Aue with a fantastic screamer and contributed with a return of another goal and two assists.

2016/17 Season - September

1617september.png

September was a very good month, as we continued our undefeated run. The wins against Bielefeld and Hannover were important in particular, since they were top sides who are in the promotion hunt.

Table

1617septembertable.png

Our run catapulted us to the first place, 5 points ahead of 3rd, the place that leads to the promotion play-off. Notice Stuttgart who are having a horrible season so far, but I reckon they will get better as the season progress.

Player of the Month

Had to pick two this time:

Lukas Gortler - This month I used the 4-1-2-2-1 almost exclusively due to Gortler goals return playing in the W/a role. He is currently leading our scoring charts with 7 goals. Surprising as he doesn't really have amazing attributes.

Jacques Zoua - Cemented his place as our leading striker, even though much like Gortler he performs much better than his attributes suggest.  3 goals and 3 assists in his last 5 games, 1 goal and 2 assists this month.

On 23.9.2017 at 17:04, PocketMouse said:

Great start, cant ask for much more!

10 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great start will be following this am currently managing hansa Rostock! Best of luck 

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

Looks very good mate, balanced tactics too, I will certainly follow this.

Cheers!

Sorry for not updating for a while, decided to change an approach an post an update twice a year, to avoide clustering this thread too much.

2016/17 Season - Hinrunde

Matches

1617hinrunde-1024x420.png

Table

1617hinrundetable.png

Quite a fantastic first half to our season, but there is a sour taste about how it ended, I had a lot of luck with results for the other top sides not going their way. The disappointing thing is the type of goals we concede is not due to fragile defence, but individual errors and moments of madness of our keeper. In the cup we were completely dominated by HSV, despite the flattering result, confirming my concern that if we get promoted we'll need quite a shake up. Still, despite all this I am delighted that we are topping the league, and the board shares my happiness as they offered me a two years contracted, which I took.

Hinrunde Best Players

3. Daniel Halfar - Even in our worst matches, Halfar is mr. reliable, always putting a great shift. Definite Bundesliga player, though probably in a limited role. Has a return of 2 goals and 6 assists, co-leading our assists rank with...

2. Marlon Frey - On loan from Leverkusen, Frey has been the surprise of the season. He is playing way better than I'd thought he will, adding 4 goals to his 6 assists. I'm not sure if I could keep him around after this season, but I will surely make a punt if able.

1. Lukas Görtler - Our leading goalscorer. Seems to be scoring in patches, but 10 goals in 16 starts is very well from the winger. His contract runs in 2018 and Köln are already sniffing around, so I have to sort it out soon.

As for the future, there are a few topics I need to address. Along with Frey, I have another loanee- my best defender Ewerton. Unlike him, he has an optional future fee of £3M which is a steal for a player of his abilites. Alongside with homeboy Robin Koch he forms a solid partnership that could do a job in the Bundesliga, but if he leaves at the end of the season, it leaves me with a huge hole in defence so I need to have alternatives. Other than that, since I've been fairly consisted with my first XI quite a few players have kicked up a fuss and requested a transfer. Thankfully, most have almost no significance. Zoltan Stieber and Kacper Przybylko are the most notable ones. The former draws no suitors but the latter has RB Leipzig and Bursaspor on his tail. He is valued at £1.2 mil and I hope to get something similar, it would be a massive boost. Finally, in terms of the winter's transfer window, I need to add some depth in right back, central midfield and attack, but nothing critical.

In terms of youth development, my best players is Torben Müsel, a young striker with some interesting attributes and a good personality. Currently wanted by Wolfsburg, I was able to tie him up on a contract until 2019 + 3 years optional contract extension. There are some other capable youngsters around the 2nd team and the U19, but nobody to write home about.

The next round will be tense for sure - I hope I will be able to further update this week, but I have a tight schedule and Yom Kipur on the weekend that would make things difficult.

2016/17 Season - January Transfer Window Update

1617jan-1024x157.png

December was an absolute mess. 2 Losses and a draw to three much weaker sides. Decided to take the winter break and arrange friendlies against very easy opposition to get the moral back up. For the match against Aue, I've decided to try a new tactic:

16174231.png

In the first half, we looked like a much better side and set the eventual result of the match. In the second half, Aue changed their formation to a more attacking, narrow 4-3-3 and I've decided to try and hang onto the lead by switching to a counter 4-1-4-1 and was able to contain them.

Table

1617jantable.png

Sadly, our poor run resulted in Stuttgart taking over the top of the league, but it is very tight, and we are still in a good position for promotion. I hope the win against Aue will start a new chapter for us. Thankfully, every other side in the top half seems hell bent on completely self-destructing.

Transfers

1617jantransfers-1024x129.png

Not much happened, January tends to be a quiet window for me. Couldn't pass on Amin Younes for his second spell in the club. Loan with an option to buy for £1M. Might no longer have world-class potential, but I have a good hunch about him. He will play as the IF/s on our new 4-2-3-1. The only major departures were Przy and Mwene. Glad about the profit we made on the former, as he was just aweful everytime he played. He fears big matches and inconsistent and couldn't cure that, even though he had the potential to be our best striker. As for Mwene, he was our backup right back and wanted a run on the first team. Sadly, he isn't very good and every chance he got he blew. Left for nearly nothing, but he was a free transfer, so that's fine.

Archived