Club finances - am I being stooo[id?

Apologies if this is a known issue or what have you but a search on here with keywords like budget or finance get a shed loads of hits...

So, simple issue really - I am managing Arsenal and just finished my seventh season. For the last two years we have been the 'Richest' club in the world. The board always say the highlight of my time is the amazing increase in the club's stature:

20170616202934_1.thumb.jpg.2287c51807cfdf25e783960abf6b9dd6.jpg

I have a net spend of circa £300million on transfers but have always been within my wage and transfer budget. 

So - given all that is there any particular reason why my overall balance went into the red towards the end of last season (it's recovered now thanks to TV revenue etc) my transfer budget remains at £28mil and I can only keep 30% of my transfer fees received - as per the below. 

20170616202819_1.thumb.jpg.df554d8b7239507be4d67945941cdedd.jpg

Anyone else found similar and is it something stupid I am doing or missing? Feel free to say yes to that one!!

Thanks!

So what your seeing there is VALUE. 

Value takes into account how much your club is worth in terms of Players,staff, facilities, sponsors and so on.

Your board may give you 300m to spend but you may not be bringing that much into the club during the season.

So just because you have 300mil to spend doesn't mean you should. You got the money back by doing well in the league. If you finish below champs league you may not be able to recover the money spent

1 hour ago, Buckley0002 said:

So what your seeing there is VALUE. 

Value takes into account how much your club is worth in terms of Players,staff, facilities, sponsors and so on.

Your board may give you 300m to spend but you may not be bringing that much into the club during the season.

So just because you have 300mil to spend doesn't mean you should. You got the money back by doing well in the league. If you finish below champs league you may not be able to recover the money spent

Thank you, completely understand what you mean.

I meant my net spend is 300mil over 7 seasons, in case that wasn't obvious. 

I just think it's odd to have a more valuable club than the likes of Madrid and Man Utd while they have higher wage bills and also can spend £100m on individual players...

I still think it's not quite right though. If you have the most valuable club, you should also have bigger budgets too. Not limitless by any means but all aspects of the finances should grow in tandem. As they do IRL...

Also, the VALUE you get (i.e. the budget of £28m) depends on how generous your chairman/president is (I think a couple of hidden attributes decide this). Perhaps you have a chairman who doesn't really want to open the wallet even there is a mountain of gold coins in the safe

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

The prediction to not comply with the League salary cap may also be playing a part, why would the board give you funds that will only serve to increase the wage bill?

This looks like the board are forcing you into a position of having to sell before buying to ensure that the wage bill remains within the limits for the coming season, have a look at the board confidence ratings as I suspect that will confirm their concern with wages.

It would be interesting to know how much of your £300m transfer spend still needs to be paid off. If you've bought the players on deals whereby you are paying predominantly in monthly instalments, rather than cash upfront, then this can impact your transfer budget in later seasons as you are in effect still paying off your previous transfers. 

I would recommend going through the Expenditure tab and seeing what stands out as your biggest cost for the current and previous season so you can pinpoint where your clubs money is going to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Apologies, I just realised I never came back to this thread to thank you for your thoughts and explanations.

Suffice to say, the issue was 1) highest wage budget I've had in all of my 8 seasons (still well within the budget I should add) and 2) I owed a potential circa £30mil on my deal for Renato Sanches. 

Those have now both been addressed and all of a sudden I am back to keeping 100% of my transfer revenue and the balance is growing. 

I think a boost to the transfer budget is likely to follow. 

Thanks all. 

Archived