How can I avoid relegation...

I always put my DL/DR back in set-pieces as they are usually too small to be a threat in the box and are fast enough to run back if they need too, it looks like you had 2 attack players back there with a structured mentality currently sat at that time, if so you are asking your attacking players to only attack and not worry about defending hence why they literally didn't do anything about the counter attack. When setting set-pieces be mindful of where your players play in your formation when setting them e.g if you do short throw ins leave your CB's back so your team keep there shape and players won't get caught out of position.

There are two possible replies here;

1. That's what happens when you leave your strikers back in defence for an  attacking set-piece, the coded player behaviour of recovering to their formation position at the breakdown is an issue within the ME logic but I'd expect a seasoned FM'er to have identified this behaviour & to not leave their strikers back like this.

2. That's the drawback of using specific man marking, the player's first move will be to pick up their assigned opponent & then defend.  Just like answer 1 this is an issue within the ME logic that I'd expect a seasoned FM'er to have identified & to avoid using specific man marking or if they do to not put the man marker in a position where this weakness becomes a problem.

9 hours ago, eriktous said:

Look again. There are two defenders back there, but they both start a sprinting race in forward direction as soon as the free kick is blocked.

Barside has covered the main issues above.

They either aren't defenders that you left back or they have man mark instructions. 

No-one is saying its right but its the limitations of the coding we currently have and its possible to work around it.

Archived