I am half way through my second season (FM16) and, first @ndrscr with his question on another topic:

On 20/4/2017 at 11:07, ndrscr said:

Your wingbacks and wingers have the 'cross aim target man' PI... but you don't have a target man?

and then @herne79 with his explanation:

On 20/4/2017 at 11:46, herne79 said:

No, the "Target Man" role is a very specific role in FM that has under the hood settings to encourage the rest of your team to seek him out as directly as possible.

made me realise that I have made a HUGE mistake.
I've set both my complete wing backs and wingers to "Aim Crosses At--->Target Man", without even having one!

After the transition from previous FM versions where you could select a specific player to act as the target man, I've read somewhere in the internet, something along the lines of "now that this feature is removed, your players will aim for whoever you have in the striker position".
Apparently, that is a false statement.

I use a Poacher in my attacking tactic and a Complete Forward/S in my control tactic.
Both tactics have the same: 4-2-3-1 Wide, Complete Wing Backs and Wingers on both flanks and Float Crosses.

Formations:

Spoiler

Attacking 4-2-3-1 Wide                                                                           Control 4-2-3-1 Wide
-Attacking_4-2-3-1_Wide_Formation.pngControl_4-2-3-1_Wide_Formation.png

Complete Wing Backs:

Spoiler

S.Corchia_Attributes_edited.pngB.S.Emeterio_Attributes_edited.png
A.Figueiredo_Attributes_edited.pngA.Grimaldo_Attributes_edited.png

Wingers:

Spoiler

C.Espinoza_Attributes_edited.pngF.Pardo_Attributes_edited.png
A.Zivkovic_Attributes_edited.pngHernani_Attributes_edited.png

Strikers:

Spoiler

A.Belotti_Attributes_edited.pngN.Vergos_Attributes_edited.png

My questions are:
1) What should I choose now?
2) Should I leave it at default?
3) Should I select "Far Post" for my wing backs (since my two main wingers both have 'cuts inside from both wings') and "Near Post" or "Centre" for my wingers?
4) What about "Cross Aim-Centre"? Anyone had success with it and can give his insights?
5) One and half ingame year now that i had chosen the "Aim Crosses At--->Target Man", where were my players aiming at?

I've found two topics in the forum, but didn't satisfy me 100%.
https://community.sigames.com/topic/309954-cross-aim/
https://community.sigames.com/topic/360539-where-to-aim-for-crosses/

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

I forget all the options/wording available... but in principle:

If you have good wingers i.e. decision, technique and crossing attributes to name a few... the best option would be leave it on 'mixed' they will then choose the best cross for the situation.

if you had smaller strikers (Aguero, Sane, Sterling) for instance... you may want 'low crosses/whipped crosses' looking to take advantage of acceleration, off the ball movement to nick in front of a defender at the near post.

You may choose far post if you have an aerial miss-match ... i.e. Ronaldo coming in at over 6ft from Left wing vs a smaller RB.

And you may want to float crosses to the 6 yard box (more hangtime) if you have late runners or overload in the box i.e. 2 strikers and AMC... or a CM attack/BBM and SS

@westy8chimp Thank you for replying, but I am left somewhat confused now, cause of the players I have at my disposal.
Your reply leads me to Float/Mixed and default PI "Cross Aim At".

What about all this time I had set the PI "Cross Aim At--->Target Man". Where were my players aiming their crosses at?
Did the engine revert my players PI's during matches cause I don't have a Target Man, so, all this time I was watching the default in action?

if you had it set to target man... but don't have a TM ... I'd assume it would then ignore your PI (so play to default/mixed) SI would have to confirm... for all I know it then does take your Striker to be target man... or maybe it would then go down the hierarchy to a playmaker instead of TM. You are the best judge as you have been using it and presumably monitoring/observing... what do you think has been happening?

The other thing to remember ... is that like with all FM Instructions... the players still make their own decisions (for good or bad) and have their ability (or not) to follow instructions.

By that I mean... you can think "I have Aguero upfront i'll go whipped crosses" but then don't get frustrated when you see floated crosses go in the box occasionally... the players wont follow you 100% or execute the plan 100% of the time.

Well, I am playing in 2D Classic and can't confirm the cross type, although I think it was float most of the times since that's what I had chosen as TI.
Although, that "Placed Shots" in the image confuses me.

As for the "who received them", I'm heavily relying on crosses. My guess would be that, 8 times out of 10, the crosses were meant for my striker or centre?

Spoiler

Goal_Types.pngGoal_Assists.png
Goal_Locations.png

Just now, herne79 said:

I have a different question.  Why do you feel the need to tell any of your players to specifically aim at certain areas when crossing?

I just need them to aim at my striker 9 out of 10 times.
How could I achieve that?

4 minutes ago, ilkork said:

I just need them to aim at my striker 9 out of 10 times.
How could I achieve that?

You only really have one player in the box at any given time - your Poacher or CF(S).  By their very nature crosses are aimed into the box, so your striker will be on the end of most anyway.  (Actually the opposition defence will be on the end of most :brock:).

The opposite winger may be heading into the box from the other wing, and your AP will be a little deeper.  I'm sure they'll be on the end of some crosses, but the vast majority should be heading towards your striker.

What I was getting at above is consider using tactical settings such as TIs only if there is a specific need to or you are trying to create a certain style of play.  Your players on the pitch are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves what type of cross to make (to follow the example) without you needing to get involved.  Can you tell them to cross in a certain manner?  Yes of course.  Do you need to?  No.

Just now, herne79 said:

Your players on the pitch are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves what type of cross to make (to follow the example) without you needing to get involved.  Can you tell them to cross in a certain manner?  Yes of course.  Do you need to?  No.

So, your advice is:
-Mixed Crosses,
-No PI "Cross Aim At"? Leave it at default?

Just now, ilkork said:

So, your advice is:
-Mixed Crosses,
-No PI "Cross Aim At"? Leave it at default?

My advice is (and this goes for any tactical setting) is to always start with the default settings and only change things if there is either a specific need to or if you want to create a certain style of play.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

My advice is (and this goes for any tactical setting) is to always start with the default settings and only change things if there is either a specific need to or if you want to create a certain style of play.

Ok!
Thank you very much for your time sir!

Archived