Huddersfield, Wagner/Klopp and CM

I'm trying to recreate the 4231 employed by David Wagner at my club Huddersfield. It's more or less the same as Klopp during his Dortmund days, characterised by the gegenpressing tag. A very good article on our tactics has been written here - http://outsideoftheboot.com/2016/09/23/analysis-how-huddersfield-town-are-top-of-the-championship/

The only thing I'm struggling with (and disagree with the article on) is the double pivot. Arron Mooy is very much a DLP as the article would suggest, however the article describes Hogg as a box to box midfielder, which I take issue with, in FM terms at least.

I don't know if anyone has seen our recent TV games but Hogg seems to be a sort of mixture of two FM roles, a half back and a ball winning midfielder. When we are in possession in our own half Hogg will drop into a sweeper area, the CB's split and push wide while the fullbacks push right up the pitch. He'll sit there as the deepest player offering a passing outlet to the CB's/keeper and play low risk passes. Once we move through the 3rds he'll push up and sit in front of the CB's offering protection. So far, so half back.

However, once we're out of possession he'll charge round the midfield trying to win the ball back as quickly as possible, which a half back doesn't do on FM. Any idea how I could try and nail this role in FM?

In my huddersfield save, I've tried the 4321. I put Hogg in a ball winning role and Payne and Mooy just ahead of him in playmaking roles. Through doing this I started conceding fewer goals but scoring has become a bit of a problem. No lethal forward up front. No win situation!

On 27.2.2017 at 13:22, Lam3r said:

I'm trying to recreate the 4231 employed by David Wagner at my club Huddersfield. It's more or less the same as Klopp during his Dortmund days, characterised by the gegenpressing tag. A very good article on our tactics has been written here - http://outsideoftheboot.com/2016/09/23/analysis-how-huddersfield-town-are-top-of-the-championship/

The only thing I'm struggling with (and disagree with the article on) is the double pivot. Arron Mooy is very much a DLP as the article would suggest, however the article describes Hogg as a box to box midfielder, which I take issue with, in FM terms at least.

I don't know if anyone has seen our recent TV games but Hogg seems to be a sort of mixture of two FM roles, a half back and a ball winning midfielder. When we are in possession in our own half Hogg will drop into a sweeper area, the CB's split and push wide while the fullbacks push right up the pitch. He'll sit there as the deepest player offering a passing outlet to the CB's/keeper and play low risk passes. Once we move through the 3rds he'll push up and sit in front of the CB's offering protection. So far, so half back.

However, once we're out of possession he'll charge round the midfield trying to win the ball back as quickly as possible, which a half back doesn't do on FM. Any idea how I could try and nail this role in FM?

You could try to teach him the PPM: comes deep to get ball

• 2 weeks later...

Archived