Man Management attribute for coaches.

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding training as it's something I really want to work on in my current network game. Does the man management attribute affect the quality of a coaches training in anyway or is it only really active when asking staff members for their opinions on squad management advice?

I've read before that it may affect the ability of a coach to interact with senior players, similarly to how working with youngsters works for coaching players who are 18 or younger. 

Another theory is it may slightly influence players morale in a positive way, which would obviously be a big advantage.

It's so hard to really test these theories as so many other factors can affect a players training/morale so I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge on how the attribute works and what it influences.

Thanks in advance!

Good question.

Normally on training screen we can see the stats to check for which part the coaches will train the player.

For example; Ball control : Mental - Technique (determination - level of discipline - motivation)

When the coach has "working with youngsters"  stat like let's say "18" it shows that the coach will train younger players with higher effect.

I normally use the man management part for squad management ideas from the coaches but i also have no idea if "man management" has an effect just like "working with youngsters" to senior players like 26-27 year olds.

• 1 month later...

I've done some searching to try and find a bit more information on the man management attribute and a few places say it can help keep players morale higher.

I'll give this a test with a Liverpool save signing coaches with high man management to see if there is a noticeable difference and report back.

If it does help morale it could be really important as we all know what a difference morale makes.

From my real life personal experience, a coach/manager with good man management will train and interact with their players more efficiently, that also means that the qaulity of the training will be high qaulity without unnecessary stops (i'm not sure im using the correct words because my english ain't the best, sorry for that).

I will try to give you an example: IRL, some players in various teams sometimes complain to the media anonymously, such as "We have no idea what the manager wants from us in trainings" or "We have no idea what the manager wants to achieve from those trainings" and there are a lot of compains we hear from players anounymosly when they leak it to the media, if they won't understand what to do in training, they probably will also fail to improve as a player and as a team play.

for a senior coach/manager it's very important to have good man management for better interaction with players and high quality training, there might be even better examples but im quite limited with my english so i struggle to explain.

IRL, the quality of the training can be something that effect the players morale as i mentioned before with the media leaks from players, but in FM IMO, it doesn't effect the player morale.

The 'working with youngsters' attribute is important for under 23/18 coaches. 

In games aswell, when i sign coaches for my senior team, i tend to search for coaches with good man management attribute, and if i can find a coach for the senior team with good man management and good working with youngsters, i will go with him.

Im not sure i gave quite good examples, but i hope you got the point at the end.

On 3/18/2017 at 15:25, MHovel said:

From my real life personal experience, a coach/manager with good man management will train and interact with their players more efficiently, that also means that the qaulity of the training will be high qaulity without unnecessary stops (i'm not sure im using the correct words because my english ain't the best, sorry for that).

I will try to give you an example: IRL, some players in various teams sometimes complain to the media anonymously, such as "We have no idea what the manager wants from us in trainings" or "We have no idea what the manager wants to achieve from those trainings" and there are a lot of compains we hear from players anounymosly when they leak it to the media, if they won't understand what to do in training, they probably will also fail to improve as a player and as a team play.

for a senior coach/manager it's very important to have good man management for better interaction with players and high quality training, there might be even better examples but im quite limited with my english so i struggle to explain.

IRL, the quality of the training can be something that effect the players morale as i mentioned before with the media leaks from players, but in FM IMO, it doesn't effect the player morale.

The 'working with youngsters' attribute is important for under 23/18 coaches. 

In games aswell, when i sign coaches for my senior team, i tend to search for coaches with good man management attribute, and if i can find a coach for the senior team with good man management and good working with youngsters, i will go with him.

Im not sure i gave quite good examples, but i hope you got the point at the end.

Theres' no indication in FM that the man management attribute improves the quality of training. You can see from the required highlighted attributes for coaching that man management isnt one of them. What you're saying is right, and it should have a bearing on training quality but it seems that its only useful for getting advice on squad management.

On 3/18/2017 at 13:53, kewel72003 said:

I've done some searching to try and find a bit more information on the man management attribute and a few places say it can help keep players morale higher.

I'll give this a test with a Liverpool save signing coaches with high man management to see if there is a noticeable difference and report back.

If it does help morale it could be really important as we all know what a difference morale makes.

I dont know how you can accurately measure the effect of this on players' morale as theres' so many variables that can have an effect such as form, lack of first team football etc

Yeah it is difficult to be accurate when noticing if there is a connection between the Man management attribute and morale. I just think it must have effect something and if it doesn't effect general morale of players I can't think what else it would do. I also find it strange that it is considered a coaching attribute and not a mental attribute. 

38 minutes ago, kewel72003 said:

Yeah it is difficult to be accurate when noticing if there is a connection between the Man management attribute and morale. I just think it must have effect something and if it doesn't effect general morale of players I can't think what else it would do. I also find it strange that it is considered a coaching attribute and not a mental attribute. 

It's just the "Working with Youngsters" attribute for senior players (age 24+) so it helps their coaching be more effective with senior players, that's all.

Nothing to do with morale as far as I'm aware.

22 hours ago, herne79 said:

It's just the "Working with Youngsters" attribute for senior players (age 24+) so it helps their coaching be more effective with senior players, that's all.

Nothing to do with morale as far as I'm aware.

If this is the case then i find it odd that man management isnt included in the highlighted attributes for a coach. Those highlighted are just Attacking, Defending, Technical, Mental, fitness, tactical, motivating, level of discipline and determination.

16 hours ago, cns180784 said:

If this is the case then i find it odd that man management isnt included in the highlighted attributes for a coach. Those highlighted are just Attacking, Defending, Technical, Mental, fitness, tactical, motivating, level of discipline and determination.

Intuitively I agree with what you say, but it can still be that it has an effect. 

Think about it like this: a coach's star rating could be an indication of how good his training drills are, but that does not say anything about how effective he is at  getting the message (the importance of each facet of the drill, the match implications, and which parts of the drill are transferable to other situations) across. 

Training progress (as translated into attribute/CA growth) has ever been a composite of a number of factors, including (star) level of training facilities, (star) level of coaches, coach training load, etc and that is before considering the effects of morale, professionalism, squad harmony and so on. I don't think it's a stretch to think that man management can be a separate but additional such factor.

@herne79

I know this shouldn't be read as gospel, but this is what SFraser said about man management in one of his threads. Could be that there has been more research into it since that I am not aware of but I find it interesting speculation at least, and also raises questions around the effect of morale on training (logically I would think it important). Despite my previous post I believe more in the below as far as the FM goes. 

On 19/02/2010 at 20:08, SFraser said:

Man Management determines how this Staff Member gets on with players and people around him, but also how well is able to Manage their happiness/Morale or offer advice on how to manage their happiness/Morale. He is nigh on perfect when it comes to dealing with players, when it comes to forging strong relationships, when it comes to keeping them happy and being friendly as they interact with him, when it comes to spotting issues that might make players unhappy, and when it comes to taking actions or offering advice on how to deal with player situations that reduce their happiness. It also means he is able take a firm line with players over certain issues and produce the best results, such as Contracts, Media Interaction. This is a massive attribute in terms of Managing Individual players.

@Akkarin Fair do's, I stand corrected :thup:.

Assuming this is still relevant 7 years later I can see how "better" coaches can keep players happier.  However, some of the above is straying into other attribute categories now, such as you or coaches' Determination, Discipline, Motivation, especially when we get into the above mentioned contracts, media interaction and taking a firm line with players.

I'd also suggest that you could have the best coaches in the world, but if you aren't winning games your players' morale will drop like a stone regardless of how good the Man Management attribute is.  There's no substitute for winning matches.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

I'd also suggest that you could have the best coaches in the world, but if you aren't winning games your players' morale will drop like a stone regardless of how good the Man Management attribute is.  There's no substitute for winning matches.

Couldn't agree more

Though - I guess we could still talk about morale maintenance (positive reinforcement) if you lose and the effect of man management on keeping morale high in the face of adversity

Archived