Football Manager on Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina

Hey everyone! Currently I'm planning on getting the 2015 Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina ( Base Model ). I wanted to know if there will be any issues with the laptop heating up or bad performance on the settings I plan on playing the FM16 and FM17 when it does come out.

I plan on playing with 3d matches, about 7-8 leagues and large player database, and if possible on 1080p, (Oh and I also want to run it on OSX) otherwise the rest of the graphic settings can be low, I don't care much for the rest. Will the laptop suffer from performance at those settings? And also very important, will the laptop suffer from any excessive heating? I wouldn't want such an expensive laptop to heat up as soon as I start the game as it happens with the Macbook Air, people say.

I wanted to get the Macbook for school since I don't have any laptop at the moment and I have never owned a Mac, and the MBP is very appealing, but I wouldn't want a 1500€ laptop to overheat or have a very very poor performance with Football Manager. So maybe anyone who owns the the MBP 13" could tell me about his experience? Thanks in advance and any tip or information you guys drop is greatly aprecciated!

(PS: I am considering waiting for the 2016 New Macbook Pro but apparently there won't be any major changes in the CPU department so the question applies for both the 2015 and the one that is yet to come out. Once again, thanks in advance guys :))

Well... I'm playing since two years with my MacBook pro retina (2,6 i5; 8GB Ram; Mid 2014).

FM 16 I've played excessively ( > 1000hrs) but except of the goal action only on 2D classic.

The speed on FM16 was okay. I'm usually playing with England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium + Holland; roundabout 80000 player in the db.

The fans sometimes kick in but in my opinion not as disturbing as others have written. Or I'm getting deaf :D

FM 17 on the other hand is much, much quicker. It's smooth as butter.

And this is not an exaggeration.

My MacBook is by far the best laptop I've ever owned... and I've used a lot of them.

A quick addition: definitely wait for the redesigned MacBook OR buy the actual model for a very reduced price secondhand.

31 minutes ago, Hansaplast said:

Well... I'm playing since two years with my MacBook pro retina (2,6 i5; 8GB Ram; Mid 2014).

FM 16 I've played excessively ( > 1000hrs) but except of the goal action only on 2D classic.

The speed on FM16 was okay. I'm usually playing with England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium + Holland; roundabout 80000 player in the db.

The fans sometimes kick in but in my opinion not as disturbing as others have written. Or I'm getting deaf :D

FM 17 on the other hand is much, much quicker. It's smooth as butter.

And this is not an exaggeration.

My MacBook is by far the best laptop I've ever owned... and I've used a lot of them.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I greatly aprecciate it Although one more thing, you mentioned the fans kick in, but does it successfuly prevent the laptop from getting excessively hot? And I'm glad to hear you like your Macbook! If I do end up getting one, I hope I'll enjoy it as much, since I've always owned Windows laptops. Thing is, I can't find a Windows laptop with the build quality, trackpad, battery life and display of the Macbook Pro... Especially the battery life part.

I play FM 16 on my 2013 MBP 13" Retina.

With about 10 leagues loaded with all divisions the speed is absolutely fine, no qualms here.

In terms of heat, mine does get hot when playing for a while, but i noticed this was mainly due to the MBP not booting up the fans until it was too late, i.e. the laptop was already really hot when the fans finally sped up. So i installed a program to manually up the speed of the fans, so i just get them going as i start playing and it keeps the heat down. 

1 hour ago, PleasedToMichu said:

I play FM 16 on my 2013 MBP 13" Retina.

With about 10 leagues loaded with all divisions the speed is absolutely fine, no qualms here.

In terms of heat, mine does get hot when playing for a while, but i noticed this was mainly due to the MBP not booting up the fans until it was too late, i.e. the laptop was already really hot when the fans finally sped up. So i installed a program to manually up the speed of the fans, so i just get them going as i start playing and it keeps the heat down. 

Thanks for the reply, that's quite helpful! May I ask what the name of the program is? In case I do end up getting the MBP. ( And also, if I may ask, I presume you're running it on Mac OS? Or did you install bootcamp? )

13 hours ago, Mokambo said:

Thanks for the reply, that's quite helpful! May I ask what the name of the program is? In case I do end up getting the MBP. ( And also, if I may ask, I presume you're running it on Mac OS? Or did you install bootcamp? )

The program is called smcFanControl for Mac, a quick google search brings it up and it's an easy download.

And yeah i run Mac OS. 

I play on a MacBook and have had trouble with overheating and fans so will give the program you have mentioned ago, thanks for mentioning it.

The speed of the Beta FM 17 on the Mac is fantastic for me, considerably better than any previous Fm versions. 

Hey, so I have the Macbook Pro 13 Inch Retina, Late 2013 Model and was wondering what settings you guys play the game with? 
1) Do you have the Retina option turned on?
2) What resolution do you usually play FM on? (As far as I am aware, with Retina on, it only allows you to choose the resolution you have running on the system?)

3) Do you with GPU or software rendering?

4) What level of graphics do you use?

5) Do you use any level of zoom on the texts?

6) With the default settings, do you find that the text is very small on a MBPR 13 inch? 

7) Do you guys ever have anything else, like youtube or spotify on while playing? How does that affect your game?

I'm sorry for the whole mug of questions and on second thought, I should probably go open a new thread but I would be glad if anyone who has a similar laptop could answer. Personally, I like to have chrome or Word open in the background for music and to write down notes and was wondering how to maximise performance of the game if I multitask.

Archived