Sports Interactive Community
deltablue

[FM13] Second Star to the Right...

Sept 2045

fixsept45.thumb.jpg.6ce87bf8f3f8be878a961e5b8774960a.jpg

sept45.thumb.jpg.4575943b8c81119f7a782d77107d009f.jpg

It's been a hectic start to Kent life, with midweek league games abounding. I expected quite a few of those with a 46-match league season but not quite to this extent. I didn't really have performance expectations, only knowing that the board wanted a top half finish. The DoF (who was redundant at Milan, as I vetoed every move he tried to make) added a couple of loanees, the right-winger Gibbs (I'll resist NCIS references) from Watford and a short-term first choice keeper McShane from Crystal Palace, both only until January.

I had a feeling we had a decent bit of quality for this level so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when we won 6 of our first 7 matches, and a promotion challenge was definitely on the table. However we struggled after that, and we only had ourselves to blame. We should definitely managed far more than 2 points from the following 5 matches with the chances we had. It was a relief when Mansfield broke twice to give us the win at Harrogate, especially as we'd had them on the ropes for the entire half. That puts us back in the playoff places having only just dropped out and if we're a bit adrift of the automatic place I at least have my eye on the playoffs for nowm though there's a not of a very busy season left to play.

Gold Cup 2045

gc45a.thumb.jpg.97b211ecca6db82d5b00a2ce5117435a.jpg

gc45b.thumb.jpg.493fc160c9771a2d1cd305a993a92391.jpg

gc46c.thumb.jpg.2b112bd0c15ec55c913c219c48c25149.jpg

I think I forgot this before. The Mexican senior team won the Confederations Cup earlier in the summer (beating England in the final) and the B team claimed the Gold Cup. Canada are runners-up yet again (and have been semi-finalists a number of times as well) after beating the USA but remain empty handed.

Dec 2045

fixdec45.thumb.jpg.3428be9f21235242e79f19f36adb824a.jpg

dec45.thumb.jpg.a19c8abb01f33633342f8def83ab56c4.jpg

Very frustrating indeed. After defeat to MK Dons (as close as you can possibly get to a 3-0 loss when you really should have won) I lost patience with on-loan keeper McShane, which wouldn't help us up front but could stop is from being punished as much and our permanant keeper Ludlam has been more solid. We immediately started to fire again, even briefly touching top after beating Havant and Waterlooville.

However much like after our strong start to the season, as soon as I was considering us to be strong promotion contenders, we suddenly developed a fundamental flaw and dropped down. Last time it was our finishing, this time we just can't hold a lead, including in top of the table 6-pointers (at the time) against Forest Green and Hyde, and at the moment we are in a fight to make the playoffs having set our sights even higher earlier.

In the cups, we had Eastleigh first and turned around a poor start to win, before having a decent showing at Watford (even having a goal disallowed which would have given us the lead). In the FA Trophy we beat fellow BSP sides Bristol City and Barnet (though only after a dull replay where we suddenly came to life in extra time), setting up a last 16 tie with Hayes and Yeading, our first cup match against lower division opposition.

Seems your side is teasing you with some good runs and getting your hopes up only to start letting you down again, hopefully they get themselves in to gear for the last 19 games or so 

On 16/08/2017 at 21:19, Dexter_Morgan said:

Seems your side is teasing you with some good runs and getting your hopes up only to start letting you down again, hopefully they get themselves in to gear for the last 19 games or so 

So far they're not. Occasionally you get a feeling that a team is looking a lot better than its results are showing and this is one of those times. 

Benjoe   

Interesting change of settings! 

I think it was the right time to leave for new grounds. Watching you work your way up with Gillingham should be interesting.

But what about Skjold now? :O 

4 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Interesting change of settings! 

I think it was the right time to leave for new grounds. Watching you work your way up with Gillingham should be interesting.

But what about Skjold now? :O 

It may not be going according to plan right now but it's definitely the different challenge I was after.

As for Skjold, I must admit that has been on the back burner for a while. Here is the final table last season and how it stands now...

den45.thumb.jpg.ac4799885f895c230951f0d8e1969e7c.jpg

denjan46.thumb.jpg.498c097c4dc6f104c9c8f5fe4c76c59c.jpg

They're just about  clinging on to survival, but it's going to be hard to do anything more. They haven't quite risen as far as I was imagining before pulling the plug on the money I was able to give them. I was planning on giving them a big payment (maybe 30M or something) to tide them over before I left but I didn't have the opportunity because of how suddenly Gillingham came up, so they're really on their own from this point on.

They have considerably improved their facilities (and reputation) but that's it. They're not awash with money, have the same small stadium, and their manager took the job the last time they were getting relegated from the Second Division East. They really need to upgrade on him but their success makes him safe, no other club will be interested in him and he's still young (they were his first club) so they won't be getting rid of him through retirement any time soon.

noikeee   

On the bright side, you're only one point behind Blackburn. I bet Alan Shearer and co never saw that coming back in 94/95.

On 21/08/2017 at 01:31, noikeee said:

On the bright side, you're only one point behind Blackburn. I bet Alan Shearer and co never saw that coming back in 94/95.

No (and we're actually ahead at the time of writing) , especially looking up what was happening with Gillingham back then and they were struggling to survive in the football league both on and off the pitch. Mind you that was 50 years ago by this point. ;)

May 2046

fix46.thumb.jpg.c86ebeb82ddd65f861f665d5a979f4c3.jpg

final46.thumb.jpg.a8e47fcb0661ebaaa075b1da6294c5f9.jpg

This is probably the most frustrating season of the career so far. Expectations were set by a strong early start which seemed to suggest a promotion push but that fell apart quickly. At first we were maybe a little unlucky that we couldn't turn chances into goals and points but as we sunk deeper in a mid-season run of just a single league win in 11 we turned into a genuine mess. The FA trophy proved to be a welcome distraction for a while as we had a run to the quarter-finals, losing to eventual league winners Northampton.

Before the first cup game against Northampton, I decided to switch a few things up tactically. The winger was now a winger again rather than an advanced playmaker (radical I know) while also trying to keep things a bit more organised and simple. It didn't help in the FA trophy but there was a clear improvement in the league. After wins against Dartford and Northampton, only a stoppage time equalizer at Ebbsfleet prevented us from eliminating the gap to the playoff places altogether in just 3 matches, which in hindsight was a sign of things to come.

Even after a narrow defeat at MK Dons (where a penalty miss summed up the fact that we should feel disappointed at now having grabbed a draw), we looked to have stopped our previous nosedive down the table, getting some solid results without looking spectacular. Unfortunately after 'failing to take our chances' and 'not holding on to leads' earlier in the season, we could add 'conceding late goals' (including winners) to the list of flaws that have cost us more points this season than I'd care to count, and we ended up collapsing under the weight of incompetence, having otherwise managed to stay just a few points off 5th.

There are three players who come out of this season with any credit, Sparks, Charlton and Byrne. The rest were prone to either shocking inconsistency or serious runs of bad form. Things were especially bad in goal where McShane was eventually dropped, then his loan spell expired. Ludlam looked more solid for a while but he too proved to be so costly that I started to wonder why I even bothered with a keeper (well, laws of the game aside). The crowning glory came at Eastleigh when a pathetic dive for a ball caused him to helpfully push it at the feet of an Eastleigh player who must have thought Christmas must have come early.

I didn't expect an easy ride at Gillingham, and maybe if we had been in a similar position most of the season rather than have that deceptively good start I wouldn't be so annoyed but we should easily have been a lot higher. Only near the end did performances really dip again to match the results. Sometimes you rack up the wins without looking convincing, other times you look decent enough on the pitch but can't make it count, and this the most extreme example of that I remember seeing. It still counts as an improvement of 3 places and 9 points over last season, which is a small step in the right direction, but we could easly have taken a much bigger stride

There were a few potential factors counting against us, like a lack of depth (with fixtures coming especially thick in the first months of the season), a few mid-season loans not helping with a settled squad, taking time to develop tactical familiarity, a few younger players featuring, getting into such a mess that it would be difficult to properly recover, and with a few players being released I have room to try and reinforce this summer while hopefully keeping a more settled squad, even if it'll remain a bit on the small side. The potential is there, I just need to find the key and blow away some cobwebs in order to do a lot better next year.

Star Player: Our two new forwards had very different seasons. Mansfield started brightly and had his moments, but not very often (to the point his 18yr old backup who had pace and little else proved to be more reliable for a lot of the season). Byrne had his weak games up front (Mexes he is not) but 21 goals and 16 assists is a pretty good return.

Byrne46.thumb.jpg.42f98e6179e7c784b6d184161b0d0ce6.jpg

Squad Stats

stats46.thumb.jpg.6d537f11af732a927e0183acf00f1336.jpg

World Cup 2046 - Australia

wc46a.thumb.jpg.313b849105623e36bff018ac94ba080a.jpg

wc46b.thumb.jpg.1c8b0d9b71a284125faf0df6d95b2f79.jpg

wc46c.thumb.jpg.d6ff494a790558c4f8e50377575c16c8.jpg

I knew it! With my Milan players failing to find success at international level I had a feeling that having left Italy that would suddenly change in the upcoming World Cup, held in a land down under (where women glow and men plunder). It was also the tournament where Italy finally came out on top after so many near misses in the past (especially in the 2020's). Cardia (who some idiot decided to sell to Real Madrid for just 7M) was firmly re-established as their No.1 after losing out for a while due to the competition he had at club level first from Thomas (the victor in that struggle with the other two out of the door just after left) than Requena, while Pirozzi bagged a goal in the final, bookending one he scored in the opening game.

The USA were surprise finalists to say the least, and didn't have the toughest run to the final (aside from a semi against the French), while at the other end of the scale, reigning champions England went out in the first round, as did Portugal but they haven't made it past the quarter-finals of either major competition (often falling in the group stage or not even qualifying at all in the case of the World Cup) so that's not so much of a shock.

Jamaica (which in Mexico is the name of Hibiscus tea) were notable surprise packages. They had made a couple more World Cups early in the save but were bottom of their group both times. This time they qualified at the head of a 3-way tie with Ecuador and the Czech Rep and hammered Paraguay in the next round but were easily beaten with 10 men by a France side with Thomas, Angloma, Hajji and Mexes (along with Trabelsi and Rousvoal on the bench). Mali also made it out of the group stage in their first ever World Cup (impressive given they've only managed it once in their last 8 AFCONs), with a strong Egypt side also flying the flag with their second semi-final appearance, which really stands out along a record that otherwise consists of group stage exits and failures fo qualify.

Summer 2046

The financial situation actually improved a little last season, admittedly due to cash injections but otherwise we were holding pretty steady anyway, at least early on in the season with a high density of games, certainly not ending up quickly diving deeper into the red as I feared. However we were still very much in it so I guess I couldn't be too surprised that the board cut the wage budget again to 15kpw, compared to 20kpw when I took the job at the end of the season before last.

I had actually released the players on expiring contracts a little early since wage budget room is top priority, but had far less to work with to add to a squad of just 15 players after I had done that, and once against I was having to do more with less. I couldn't even renew the contracts of any staff members (aside from a single coach) because I couldn't offer them enough. I hadn't bother too much with the wage budget when renewing player contracts last season but now I needed to make 1kpw an loose upper limit, though not necessarily getting rid of the higher earners already in the squad since that would leave me without a majority of first teamers.

There were a few priority areas to deal with early on. We were in danger of being winger-less, with Gibbs' loan deal only having lasted until January and the permanent winger being one of those released because he was asking for too much. Winger/forward Buckfield had been a surprisingly decent stand-in but he was only 16 and of limited potential. The left-back I inherited was already getting old (currently 33) and was one of the major culprits when things went wrong last season, proper forward backup would also be nice, then there was the goalkeeper situation.

I already made my opinion of Ludlam known last season, so I jumped at the chance to replace him with a keeper who wasn't really an upgrade but at least the same standard for a lower wage (he was one of those earning over 1kpw, and therefore vulnerable if I felt he was expendable), and was surprised that Hamilton actually wanted him when trying to offload. Scottish defender McCabe (who had been good until the final run) was both our most valuable player at 110k and highest earner at 1.8kpw so I gambled with selling him as well once I saw I could actually get that much for him from Sheffield Wednesday.

Not only could I get in a replacement but putting what little of the fee I got back for transfers into the wage budget instead gave me room for a couple more signings, including a second keeper, something I had previously considered a luxury we didn't have the budget for. That took us above the wage budget (something I had been planning to avoid this time, after loans then contract renewals busted it last season) but only by under 300pw so we can hopefully get away with that.

I do feel we have a better squad than last season, with more depth, even with a few weaker backup players remaining. It's still hard to tell how we should be doing with 7 new faces and how much we failed to perform as well as I thought we should have last season. I feel we can definitely do a lot better, especially as I've tweaked the tactics again (the full back settings this time) to further adjust to not being able to get away with as much attacking and creative ambition than at Milan.  While I hesitate to set the sights too high after the experience of last year, we definitely have the potential to have a far better season if we can get our act together.

Signings

Gallagher.thumb.jpg.1ecfad6d78d1455ff17b05393d7ea1dd.jpg

Pead.thumb.jpg.473a13c3f61d86396b902f3ef64e8a88.jpg

Spence.thumb.jpg.29826c3adbb088b7466d8bac71d04901.jpg

Whitehead.thumb.jpg.45e793d6a6addca95649e4af77ba96e4.jpg

Davidson.thumb.jpg.e8dee46799af599c98899b26707a9b81.jpg

Chandler.thumb.jpg.4c45c7e221211fd2658d303de4fdd078.jpg

Webster.thumb.jpg.3a207571b5b9c54a58ec092241595cd7.jpg

trans46.thumb.jpg.abf74ab1ee3fe8c74574750ab701b421.jpg

Sept 2046

fixsept46.thumb.jpg.dd66dcf2c1ddc6b2cc852282b32a6a43.jpg

sept46.thumb.jpg.a756765aed0a35451dd746011973e0e9.jpg

I'm alive, just ;)

With a few tough games early on, we needed to hit the ground running with a win against Wigan and got it from a hat-trick by new boy Gallagher, putting the continually underachieving (and much higher paid) Mansfield to shame. The odd thing about that win was that with the score at 0-0, new keeper Pead went off injured. I don't really have a sub keeper even with 7 subs anymore and certainly not with 5 so you can imagine my surprise at racing to victory  with an outfielder in goal for the rest of the match. Given he cost us a point at Portsmouth (a reminder that even in this relatively small pond, we're far from being the biggest fish) it almost felt like we were better off without him but after the twin nightmares of McShane and Ludlam last year, it's still good to see him settle down to being a  solid (if unimpressive) No.1.

The early results were mixed. They may have been some of the tougher games but I couldn't rely on regularly winning the 'easier' ones so it still looked like we'd struggle to improve significantly on last season but despite taking on a few injuries (twice as damaging as normal circumstances in terms of games missed because the schedule, with midweek breaks being a rarity in the first few months)  we were able to get some good form going to charge up the table and into the playoff places, including a good win at Bristol Rovers (who were in League 1 just 2 years ago).

There were a couple of later stumbles but that still gave me 'manager of the month' with 6 league wins from 8 and allowing us to hold onto 2nd, with the gap to Portmouth remaining steady. After last season's false dawn I'm still wary (given we're part of a large group of teams still very close together) and there are very few games I can feel too confident about but we seem able to get the job done, at least enough to stake a claim to a playoff place. In some ways this is what I signed up for, really having to fight for success (and I can't claim we've looked that great in most matches), feeling pleasure (and frustration, of which there has been plenty so far) with individual league results again and a sense of potentially achieving progress.

Good start but as you say plenty of teams close by and when you don't 100% trust your team yet it is hard to be optimistic but hopefully you've addressed last seasons problems  

20 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Good start but as you say plenty of teams close by and when you don't 100% trust your team yet it is hard to be optimistic but hopefully you've addressed last seasons problems  

Partly. Last season saw a surprising amount of wasted domination and defensive idiocy. There have still been some facepalm-worthy moments at both ends and I still think we should be doing better but it's definitely a step in the right direction for the most part. 

It's not just the team but individual players. Spence was brought in as a promising replacement for the 33yr old Ramm at left back (who has rarely been better than mediocre throughout his career) but has had a terrible start to give the veteran more action than I planned. 

Mansfield had 'star striker' written all over him, especially after a debut brace, but quickly regressed to the point where everytime I see him advancing on goal I know he's going to mess it up, which is rather depressing. I guess since the team in general made such a poor first impression it will take time to feel confident. 

fixnov46.thumb.jpg.9a05584506ab73f2177877ef65ca108d.jpg

nov46.thumb.jpg.3138bc00c35d72036954d556a13fcc7e.jpg

I was right to be worried that a bit of bad form could be right around the corner. We only managed 2 points from 3 games against struggling Barrow, Dover and Bury, the last being the first of 3 straight defeats. However we were in nowhere near as bad a situation as we quickly sunk to last year and with a win over Eastleigh saving us from a win-less October in the league, we soon managed to get back on the tail of the playoff places, though not being about to quite break in. The Wigan defeat (where we were actually second best, in contrast to a majority of our bad results) knocks us back a little but we can hopefully keep ourselves in playoff contention for a lot longer this time, despite a mixture of injuries and a hectic league schedule (which should soon ease off) making it hard to replace tired or poor performing players. Our 'first choice' winger has been out since early on for at least half the season and we've been without our main playmaker Charlton (consistently one of our best players) in recent weeks, though there have been a bunch of others for at least a few weeks at a time.

There was at least some success in the cups to help make up for not quite being good enough in the league. Maidenhead was nice and easy in the FA Trophy (which is great because it means being free to save the team later on) with Blackburn being our next opponents. Fleet was also a cruise in our first FA Cup match. Like last year, we drew a League 1 team away, and having had a goal disallowed against Watford last year which would have given us the lead, we actually managed to do so against Port Vale, holding on (helped by a surprising lack of threat from them in the second half) to claim a decent scalp.

League 2 Bournemouth were next at home and we also managed to pull off a 1-0 win, even if we had to fight a lot harder to hold on to the lead this time. That put us into the 3rd round but the draw wasn't exactly glamorous, as we'll be at home against the winner of a replay between Blackburn (and it would be just typical to get them in a cup again) and League 1 Leicester, though if it is Blackburn that would at least guarantee 2 non-league sides in the 4th round, with Tamworth vs MK Dons as another tie. The only other non-league representation will be the winner of Ebbsfleet (the only team below the BSP left) or Mansfield up against League 2 Barnsley.

Getting to the 3rd round and knocking out 2 higher division teams on the way already makes for a cup run I'm very happy with, especially the away win against Port Vale (2 divisions above, never a bad achievement). The potential of a good cup run or two is what attracted me to Gillingham in the first place and it sort of makes me wish that I'd done more lower league English management in the past, even if getting out of the BSP seems quite a challenge. We can definitely go further though even Blackburn wouldn't be easy opponents, but it really wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't. It definitely helps to show a bit of our potential even if we're not quite doing in in the league yet.

It would be interesting to get Ipswich in a cup sometime, even if we had no such luck the first time around, and speaking of which...

ip46.thumb.jpg.1217a844e051c6a0bab4fad2e23a9c2b.jpg

Go home FM, you're drunk! I've virtually never even seen Ipswich get into the Premier League under their own steam in my saved. More recently they seem to go down to League 1 quite a lot, as many of you will know from your own saves. They did spend a season down there 18yrs ago in this save but bounced back up. They first made the Premier League in 2038/39 (this is currently 2046), then again 2 years later after relegation, managing to stay there this time. They've mixed sneaking into the top half with just keeping clear or relegation, and were just 16th last year with their team mostly looking mid-table quality, so even within the context of the save this is quite a shock!

Jan 2047

fixjan47.thumb.jpg.0f5a4f816a03401f170d12d98f0b7763.jpg

jan47.thumb.jpg.ccd244c2a55bf4fbc1f9dfa6a422f7f4.jpg

We definitely look better this season but remain a side that rates a 'B' rather than a promotion standard 'A', or even 'A-'. On our day we can beat any team in the division and our results against the teams above us have mostly been good, or at least decent, but we still drop too many points we shouldn't right when we look capable of achieving something. The New Year defeat to Blackburn left us 6 points adrift of the playoffs, and a poor showing at Wrexham after taking the lead left us 3 points behind, having briefly lost the game in hand we've otherwise been carrying for a few months. However the current situation is hardly bad. Just a little bit more and we can still make the playoffs.

As if this league wasn't hard enough to get consistency in (though the the schedule seems to be a bit unbalanced for far more fixture congestion in the early weeks), we've also been heavily involved in the cups. We got and beat Blackburn on the big occasion of the 3rd round, having conquered MK Dons in the FA Trophy in midweek, but then we drew the Dons again in the FA Cup (really not the 4th round tie I was hoping for), meaning we've faced them and Blackburn in both cups as well as the regular league fixtures. They were fresher with their midweek league game just before that having been postponed and we lost our key playmaker Charlton for a couple of months to injury in the Wrexham defeat and they just had the edge, winning 1-0. After that we threw away a lead at Welling in the FA Trophy, denying ourselves a semi with Hyde which I felt gave us a good chance at making the final. Ipswich have dropped off the pace in the Premier League as well (and are stuggling to hold on to the CL places), adding to a poor end to January after a few mostly good months.

Our cup run has helped our financial situation. The club were 500k in the red when I arrived, slightly improved on that thanks to cash injections in the first season but a 160k profit in January alone takes us up to just 165k in the red, with no cash injections this season. That's probably as good as it's going to get for the time with no more cup games and less frequent home league matches (the downside of the league schedule easing off) but it's still progress.

Contrast Blackburn (a clear example of this being a tough division) who are 'insecure' with a 3.2M loan debt (against a 1.5M value, still higher than our 1.1M with a 925k debt, though that's spread out thinly enough that it doesn't impact us too much). They're actually running Ewood Park at under half capacity due to it's very poor condition. This is their 5th year in the division (though had briefly dropped down a few years before) and while we may not be making the progress I was hoping for, they help remind me that things could be worse.

1 hour ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Still a bit to go so hopefully you pick up enough to make the playoffs. 

Hopefully. I had hoped to be making quicker progress (expecting the main challenge to come with moving up the leagues after getting promoted to League 2) but it wouldn't be the end of the world to narrowly miss out this time since we're definitely showing promise and moving in the right direction. 

Unfortunately FM progress is going to be slow for a while. I have chronic tiredness issues and I appear to be slipping into a bad patch in recent weeks. I find it hard to play FM when I'm too muddy headed, especially when things aren't going smoothly. I'm also heading to London this weekend to see my niece (who is actually 5 days late and counting so fingers crossed). 

noikeee   

Playoffs more than possible here, just need to hit a patch of good form.

Hope you get better and that everything's fine with your niece. :)

On 9/17/2017 at 08:25, Dexter_Morgan said:

Looking forward to see how it goes when you get back in to it, pointless playing for the sake of it if you aren't feeling it mate, :) 

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Playoffs more than possible here, just need to hit a patch of good form.

Hope you get better and that everything's fine with your niece. :)

Cheers guys. I'm definitely feeling a bit better. Still haven't touched FM but am gearing myself up to do so soon. As for my niece, she's currently 10 days late ;). Otherwise everything is looking good and she will be here by the weekend. She's going to be half-Greek, as if we didn't have enough nationalities in the family already... English (with a bit of Scottish), Mexican, French, Catalan (completing my own 4 identities), Basque (?), American, Canadian, Italian, Argentine (well Italio-Argentine), Swiss and even Australian (I have Swiss-Australian second-cousins, my first cousins alone count for most of the rest). My sisters could even count as being Chilean by birthplace. 

Played through the February matches today. Won't do a full update yet (not even for the Asian Cup and AFCON) but the league table looks very interesting...

feb47.thumb.jpg.c2c8fa2c84ff8ea20e4033b30ed9bf90.jpg

9 matches left, and there is a very tight race between ourselves and 4 other teams for 3 playoff places. It's been a tough race for sure. We've been on good form since November (with the occasional blip) and haven't managed to get back into the playoff places, though we have come very close a few times. We have 3 home games in a row coming up, against Barrow, Hyde and Bury, providing an opportunity to rack up more wins to hopefully give us an edge. I've also just passed 100 matches in charge of Gillingham already, having not even been here for 2 years yet!