FC Barcelona suggestions for improvements

Hello!

I thought I finally made a good FC Barcelona tactics after so many deleted saves. I had like 5 saves with Barcelona, but unsuccessful. But in this save, we are alot better, but apparently not good enough....

Problems:

The main problem I saw was sometimes we had sooo many shots on target, but we just couldn`t score, even when our striker was 1v1 with the goalkeeper. Another problem was with the away matches. Sometimes away from home we play verry poorly and we end up loosing or drawing.

Tactics:

I`m trying to play possession based football. We had the best avg. possession in the league(60%), which is good. My main goal scorer is Suarez, he scored 52 goals in 57 appearances! And now for away matches, at the beginning I didn`t change anything, but because I noticed that we are doing poorly away from home, i changed full backs from (atk) to (sup) when playing away from home. It did help a little, but not alot.

Tactics: Click

Also I have player instructions on center backs set to close down much less.

Expectations:

Spanish cup: The board doesn`t care about this competition, but I do! I want to win it. We are in the finals and we are going to play against Real Madrid.

Liga bbva: The board wants us to win the league. We are 1 point clear at the top, and we are going to play 1 last title deciding match against Villarreal away from home. Oh no, why away :/

Champions League: The board wants us to win it. I reached the finals, in the final we are going to play against Arsenal.

Edit: I actually already played spanish Cup final and Liga bbva title deciding match, and lost both of them! And then the game crashed :/ So, before im going to play them again, I need some suggestions on how to improve the tactics.

What youre not specifying is how you concede. Is it cause of balls over the top or some other reason? Also to not win that means youre not scoring as much. A way to unlock the enemy defense of teams that understandably play safer against teams such as Barças you need to tell your team to stretch the field, take advantage of space by roaming around and play direct through balls. Instruct your team to play wider and your wingers with iniesta to try direct passes. It goes against your idea of tiki taka but you gotta make sacrifices

You need to fix your image link before anyone can really help you. Or use a different host that isn't broken?

Well, the link does work for me. Anyway, I uploaded it to Imgur now. It should work.

What youre not specifying is how you concede. Is it cause of balls over the top or some other reason?

Yes, most of the time is it cause of balls over the top when they are countering. And we actually score alot, in the last 50 matches we scored 113 goals, and conceded only 29 goals. The problem is we are sometimes poor in the important matches against big teams. We lost to Juventus 3-1, to Real Madrid 3-1, to Arsenal 2-0, and even lost to Real Madrid in Super Cup Final. But against smaller teams we score like crazy.

Here is the analysis of goal assists: Click

And this is our schedule, it doesn`t look bad, but it should be better: Click

(Yes I know, my English is poor)

I don't really see any problem here tbh. Bad games can happen in all honesty.Its part of the game. The only issue i can help you with is, with balls over the top. And its easy to mitigate it. First i need you to check your schedule. Click as many matches as you can(preferrably your crucial matches ie Juventus and, Arsenal etc) and try to spot your opponents offside stat

Is it high or is it non existent. If its the latter that means that the offside trap is not working and your back four is either very slow to anticipate pacey attackers or your shape and ti's just leave you vulnerable. Turn off offside trap and keep you wb's to support. If the stat is high that means its working but you should still keep your wb's to support to provide more cover. Perhaps you should play a bit more defensive.Lower the mentality

I don't really see any problem here tbh. Bad games can happen in all honesty.Its part of the game. The only issue i can help you with is, with balls over the top. And its easy to mitigate it. First i need you to check your schedule. Click as many matches as you can(preferrably your crucial matches ie Juventus and, Arsenal etc) and try to spot your opponents offside stat

Is it high or is it non existent. If its the latter that means that the offside trap is not working and your back four is either very slow to anticipate pacey attackers or your shape and ti's just leave you vulnerable. Turn off offside trap and keep you wb's to support. If the stat is high that means its working but you should still keep your wb's to support to provide more cover. Perhaps you should play a bit more defensive.Lower the mentality

Yay, with your suggestions we won the spanish cup final 4-1 against rma, and we also won the title deciding match and won the title! Now I just need to play the Champions league final against Arsenal. Hope we win that too.

You posted your schedule as the assist analysis.

Nothing major is standing out to me from the tactic. The only thing standing out is having two FB-A, i'd look to mix it up a little with different duties and maybe one a WB instead of FB. I see you've already adjusted the fb's and removed offside trap? so looks like something you can maybe develop further.

Your record is pretty good, Barca in real life lose occasionally to!

You posted your schedule as the assist analysis.

Nothing major is standing out to me from the tactic. The only thing standing out is having two FB-A, i'd look to mix it up a little with different duties and maybe one a WB instead of FB. I see you've already adjusted the fb's and removed offside trap? so looks like something you can maybe develop further.

Your record is pretty good, Barca in real life lose occasionally to!

Oh yeah, I fixed the picture. Yeah they do lose, but I was extremely disappointed that before the game crashed we lost Spanish Cup Final and then title deciding match, I thought it will be another trophy less season, because this is the second season, in the first season we didn`t win anything. Luckily, the game crashed and I had a second change and now we won my first treble let alone my first trophy in Football Manager :D

The only other thing i've thought of is the amount of players looking to play risky passes, but limited number of runners. CF-S, 2xIF-S, AP-A all looking to play risky passes (through balls) often but your team is quite selective about making forward runs. I'm wondering if this is a good time to use Retain Possession so they are more selective about the through balls they try, but with Lower Tempo, Shorter Passing, Less Dribbling, Play Out Of Defence and Work Ball Into Box it might be too much.

The only other thing i've thought of is the amount of players looking to play risky passes, but limited number of runners. CF-S, 2xIF-S, AP-A all looking to play risky passes (through balls) often but your team is quite selective about making forward runs. I'm wondering if this is a good time to use Retain Possession so they are more selective about the through balls they try, but with Lower Tempo, Shorter Passing, Less Dribbling, Play Out Of Defence and Work Ball Into Box it might be too much.

Retain Possession is primarily a defensive ti. Unless he wants to see sideways passes and his number of goals and opportunities plummet id recommend against it.

EDIT: Also direct passes are not hardcoded in any of those roles.He can choose to remove the pi if its over the top or if it needs toning up he can choose to select it.

Retain Possession is primarily a defensive ti. Unless he wants to see sideways passes and his number of goals and opportunities plummet id recommend against it.

I wouldn't call it "primarily" a defensive TI, although agree build up play will be more cautious and it can be used for defensive purposes. Here's what Rashidi's been saying about retain possession:

The Retain Possession shout is neither an attacking nor a defensive shout, it just tells the team not to bend over backwards to attack. However you could create a right royal mess with improper duty allocations. I treat this shout as a defensive shout when I want my team to 'waste time'. An ideal way of using this shout would be to use it with the right duty allocation. Lets take a 442 for example...lets say you have the majority of your team on Support and only one CF on A, then your team will do a great job of moving the ball around to keep possession.

I wouldn't call it "primarily" a defensive TI, although agree build up play will be more cautious and it can be used for defensive purposes. Here's what Rashidi's been saying about retain possession:

Semantics. I treat it defensively, he treats it defensively. The truth is its effects are more defensive rather than offensive.

Its' effects are to reduce passing length, reduce risky passes and reduce space between players, which can be used to good effect both defensively or offensively, depending on your chosen style of play and how it balances with the rest of your system. So to say the shout is "primarily defensive" isn't strictly correct - it can be used as such of course, but it is essentially a shout which simply reduces risk.

Summat postulated that perhaps this shout may help in this instance, and indeed it may, albeit as he (correctly) points out it may be too much with the other shouts currently being used.

If you view those effects as defensive or offensive that's up to your interpretation. I don't view any instruction as defensive or offensive, they're variations in style that can improve your defense and/or attack. I might describe some as "aggressive" (closing down, tackle hard etc) or "passive" (drop deeper, tackle easier etc), but you can be attacking without having lots of penetration hehe.

Here with a lot of support roles with players looking to get the ball to feet I think it fits the style, otherwise i'd suggest maybe making Neymar an IF-A so he looks to get inbehind more rather than collecting the ball deeper and looking to play others in.

Archived