Getting a shadow Striker scoring

I took a bit of a break from FM after the 16.3 patch hit as I was disappointed they didn't fix the full back positioning issue on defence. My favourite tactic has long been a rampaging full back but I just can't seem to get it to work in this version. Anyway I wasn't really expecting to play anymore FM 16 but then weirdly I had a dream about a new tactic which was different to anything I had tried before on FM 16. That tactic was about a shadow striker, I've always been fond on the shadow striker but I haven't been able to get one to work since FM14 and even that was part of a weird 4-2-3-1 narrow tactic. Anyway so inspired by my dream about roles and so forth I came up with the following 4-4-1-1 from left to right

--------------CF-S-------------

--------------SS-A------------

W-S----AP-S---CM-D---WP-A

FB-A---CD-S---CD-D---WB-S

--------------GK---------------

No rampaging full back in this one!

Now in my mind and dream the main goal scorer in this tactic would be the shadow striker who the movement of the CF-s would create space for both by pulling defenders left and right and deeper. This was facilitated by the move into channels instruction on the CF-s. The CM-d also has close down less, ease off tackles and shoot less and the right WB has cross more often and stay wide.

Mentality counter and shape fluid

Team instructions - Shorter passing, whipped crosses, play wider, push higher, close down more and use offside trap.

Now the good news is this has been my most successful tactic on FM16 in terms of results, possession and general play. All the players are getting excellent ratings particularly the play makers and forward players. However, the teams main goal scorer is by a country mile the CF-s with (this season) 10 in 11 games. The next highest is the Wide play maker with 3 in 8 games and the shadow striker only has 2 in 8. So my question is does anyone know why my plan isn't working and has anyone else managed to get a shadow striker scoring at a high rate without playing a strikerless system?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

I took a bit of a break from FM after the 16.3 patch hit as I was disappointed they didn't fix the full back positioning issue on defence. My favourite tactic has long been a rampaging full back but I just can't seem to get it to work in this version. Anyway I wasn't really expecting to play anymore FM 16 but then weirdly I had a dream about a new tactic which was different to anything I had tried before on FM 16. That tactic was about a shadow striker, I've always been fond on the shadow striker but I haven't been able to get one to work since FM14 and even that was part of a weird 4-2-3-1 narrow tactic. Anyway so inspired by my dream about roles and so forth I came up with the following 4-4-1-1 from left to right

--------------CF-S-------------

--------------SS-A------------

W-S----AP-S---CM-D---WP-A

FB-A---CD-S---CD-D---WB-S

--------------GK---------------

No rampaging full back in this one!

Now in my mind and dream the main goal scorer in this tactic would be the shadow striker who the movement of the CF-s would create space for both by pulling defenders left and right and deeper. This was facilitated by the move into channels instruction on the CF-s. The CM-d also has close down less, ease off tackles and shoot less and the right WB has cross more often and stay wide.

Mentality counter and shape fluid

Team instructions - Shorter passing, whipped crosses, play wider, push higher, close down more and use offside trap.

Now the good news is this has been my most successful tactic on FM16 in terms of results, possession and general play. All the players are getting excellent ratings particularly the play makers and forward players. However, the teams main goal scorer is by a country mile the CF-s with (this season) 10 in 11 games. The next highest is the Wide play maker with 3 in 8 games and the shadow striker only has 2 in 8. So my question is does anyone know why my plan isn't working and has anyone else managed to get a shadow striker scoring at a high rate without playing a strikerless system?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

I would try to put SS slighty to the right and CF to the left, then SS has more space to run in.

" This was facilitated by the move into channels instruction on the CF-s"

You should watch and see if the CF-s is moving into space the Shadow striker would want.

I've watched a few games in full and to be honest it is more that the CF-s isn't moving around enough to allow the SS to move forward but I'm not entirely sure why.

Sure but how?

To save a pkm, in a match you'll notice when a match finishes in-game, on the match options there will be an option to 'Save'

Once you have 'saved' a pkm, it will appear at My Documents -> Sports Interactive -> Football Manager 2016 -> Matches

You can then upload it to Mediafire and then link the download to here

Here you are TMS three games one terrible performance and two decent ones for your perusal. Let me know if you can't access them for whatever reason.

West Ham Vs Southampton, probably our most dismal performance of the season http://www.mediafire.com/download/chezay9z7j242et/Southampton_v_West_Ham.pkm

Newcastle Vs Southampton, one of our better performances and the SS actually scored in this one! http://www.mediafire.com/download/6az1r50k5vlcawx/Newcastle_v_Southampton.pkm

QPR vs Southampton which was one of our better performances - https://www.mediafire.com/?75u8gzs9iptxewi

In the QPR game I think the left side CM was playing as a RPM rather than the AP I listed in my first post. I felt he ended up moving around too much for defensive stability and have since changed it to AP-s which in tough away games or when things aren't going well changes to DLP-s. However, that is basically the only change I have made.

Here you are TMS three games one terrible performance and two decent ones for your perusal. Let me know if you can't access them for whatever reason.

West Ham Vs Southampton, probably our most dismal performance of the season http://www.mediafire.com/download/chezay9z7j242et/Southampton_v_West_Ham.pkm

Newcastle Vs Southampton, one of our better performances and the SS actually scored in this one! http://www.mediafire.com/download/6az1r50k5vlcawx/Newcastle_v_Southampton.pkm

QPR vs Southampton which was one of our better performances - https://www.mediafire.com/?75u8gzs9iptxewi

In the QPR game I think the left side CM was playing as a RPM rather than the AP I listed in my first post. I felt he ended up moving around too much for defensive stability and have since changed it to AP-s which in tough away games or when things aren't going well changes to DLP-s. However, that is basically the only change I have made.

Cheers, will have a look this evening and get back to you.

Sorry for the delayed response TMS, life gets in the way of FM sometimes ;) Regarding the moves into channels instruction I originally had the tactic without it but added it because I wasn't getting the movement I was after. Alex T is a very good CF-S though perhaps a better false 9. He has excellent play making skills, dribbling and finishing but his strength and long shots are a bit weak. His only major downside is his 6 jumping but I can't have everything.

Since I first posted my SS has gone on a good scoring run and has actually caught up with the CF on goals (tho the CF missed a lot of games due to injury. The SS now has 13 goals in 18 games and the CF 11 goals in 15 games. So regarding my original problem it appears that it may have been simply because the SS was a new player in the team and he hadn't gelled yet and also was playing in a slightly unfamiliar position which he is now accomplished in.

Having said that life is still not all rosy as it seems that whenever I come up against another team also playing 4-4-1-1 I seem to struggle. Can you tell me what the weak points in a 4-4-1-1 are and how I might exploit them? Thank you for looking at the match and if you need me to link games against a 4-4-1-1 I can.

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Ripason said:

For some reason the Shadow Striker seems much less effective in this version. I hear that an Enganche is more attack minded and thus more likely to score instead.

Thoughts?

Sorry to burst your bubble but I use a SS with a f9 and he's my top scorer :p It's all about creating the space the SS needs, do that effectively and he will score.

To be honest it's all about attributes and not necessarily the ones the game recommends for the role. 

Obviously you need movement. Everyone knows about the F9 dropping deep but you also need good wide players to drag out any AI DMC's. 

I like dribbling in a SS. Not sure if that is in the official requirements but if you start from deep, you need to be able to bring the ball into a goal scoring position. Of course a creative main striker will help too, especially if he has good movement, passing and vision. 

yes, I agree on dribbling - SS has "dribble more" PI enabled by default and if you watch the game in full , you'll see him dribbling a lot. Also, having a striker who drops deep and drags opposition's defenders to open space for the SS also helps. I like DLF(s) here bcs of his "hold up ball" to give the SS time to get forward and "more risky passes" which means he'll make through passes to onrushing SS. F9 would also be a good choice, I suppose, but I always liked big men up the field

Archived