I find myself eating a little bit of TACTICAL humble pie

How did this all come about? I took the challenge of starting at Werder Bremen. Finances are tight, squad needs developed and in general a lower standard of player currently at the club. Finished the first season in a respectable 12th position and a quarter final place in the German cup. No great shakes, but relied heavily on a young inexperienced Eggenstien leading the line.

Plied a 4-2-3-1 formation with traditional wingers and a AMC behind the lone Eggenstein.

Now comes to the eating humble pie part, I have always been dead set against big target/defensive forwards, it just never looked and sounded appealing to me. End of first season finished and I received my budget for the second season, cleared the dead wood out of the squad and a big overhaul of the non playing squad was undertaken.

For the first time in FM2016 I decided to become tight, compact and robust changing to a 4-4-1-1 with a defensive forward leading the line in newly signed Davie Selke.

What a difference, I just totally underestimated the role of the defensive forward. It has been a revelation, with Selke harassing the opposing back four, enabling me to become compact, hard to break down and very solid indeed.

Has anybody else had any similar experiences? Underestimating certain roles you just thought you would never have played in your formations?

I find myself learning a very valuable lesson, that being never underestimate certain roles.

I'm using davie selke and eggenstein in a 4-4-2 with a df and a coup front. I'm playing as RBL so had davie from the start. He works exactly like you say. It's funny, his technical stats don't look like much but he has a goal a match pretty much for me.

Archived