FM16: Athletic Bilbao - No puede comprar un trofeo

Guest El Payaso

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming from some of the signings in this thread that the "Only Basque Allowed" transfer philosophy is not included in the game?

Yeah not really seen anything to suggest a reason for this comment? Can you elaborate?

The only issue I have with the implementation of the transfer policy is being able to sign a 16 year old Spaniards with no ties to the Basque country and them then gaining Basque nationality. In my opinion that's clearly not right, but I believe the reason is that the game can't simulate non-Basque's moving to the region and going through the academies (e.g. Inaki Williams) so have the current system as a 'best fit'.

Yeah not really seen anything to suggest a reason for this comment? Can you elaborate?

The only issue I have with the implementation of the transfer policy is being able to sign a 16 year old Spaniards with no ties to the Basque country and them then gaining Basque nationality. In my opinion that's clearly not right, but I believe the reason is that the game can't simulate non-Basque's moving to the region and going through the academies (e.g. Inaki Williams) so have the current system as a 'best fit'.

This is my assumption as well.

I just started an Athletic Bilbao save and I was also curious if new French basque players arise, or if anyone knows if you can sign 16 year old French regens, since there is a French part of the basque country?

This is my assumption as well.

I just started an Athletic Bilbao save and I was also curious if new French basque players arise, or if anyone knows if you can sign 16 year old French regens, since there is a French part of the basque country?

You can sign French 16 y/o's who already have Basque nationality, but that's it

Do you know off hand any French clubs in that region

Aviron Bayonnais is the only club of any real significance - it's really a rugby union region to be honest. Deschamps, Ruffier, Laporte are the more recent big names to have started out there.

Bordeaux is the nearest big club to the region, but personally I've not seen any good basque players come through their academy in many years of Athletic saves on FM. You do see the odd gem from Aviron Bayonnais though so they're worth keeping an eye on.

Guest El Payaso

Kepa is class, not just decent. Fantastic penalty saver and best keeper in La Liga for years for me. Wouldn't even consider Ruffier as Herrerin does the backup job perfectly.

Guest El Payaso

Will be starting a new one with Athletic after the January transfer window update. This time zero buys and more concentrating on those talented Bilbao Athletic young players.

Iraizoz is ok for a season, Kepa can be a decent number 1 for many years after, or you can look at Stephane Ruffier

Yep. Though, Iraizoz has given up too many long shots for me. Plan is to pick up Ruffier, have Iraizoz tutor Kepa and rotate Kepa in some games and in cups until he's ready to take over.

Yep. Though, Iraizoz has given up too many long shots for me. Plan is to pick up Ruffier, have Iraizoz tutor Kepa and rotate Kepa in some games and in cups until he's ready to take over.

That's basically what I did, and Kepa took over from Ruffier after about half a season. Both Iraizoz and Ruffier can be good tutors for Kepa which is nice.

Will be starting a new one with Athletic after the January transfer window update. This time zero buys and more concentrating on those talented Bilbao Athletic young players.

I'm tempted to start a new one as well as the save has become very slow. So might start over with the data update included and less players loaded.

Question for all - who from Athletic do you think will get a buff/nerf in the update?

Personally I think there is a few deserving buffs:

Etxeita (slight or adjustment to attributes)

Sabin (slight or adjustment to attributes, raised CA)

Benat - his physicals really harm him in game. No reason for these to change but think his mentals should go up.

Williams (change to CA but perhaps not PA)

Aduriz (having just signed a new contract and being an absolute monster physically, he doesn't look likely to rapidly decline like he does on the game). He's actually quite quick still but this isn't reflected in the game.

Nerfs:

Ibai

Muniain post injury, maybe. Could be too early to say in truth.

Guest El Payaso

Would agree on those bowieinspace. Although not sure about Sabin. He is in rotation but really not performing that well I guess. He has a decent potential on the DB if I remember it right. I would also add there De Marcos: he is better at defending than his current attributes show. Aduriz really is under rated I think: he is excellent of the ball and as you said quite quick still. The declining also is a bit off: he is at top of his game at this age and clearly motivated so he should be good until the end of his new contract if he stays as a first choice.

Would agree on those bowieinspace. Although not sure about Sabin. He is in rotation but really not performing that well I guess. He has a decent potential on the DB if I remember it right. I would also add there De Marcos: he is better at defending than his current attributes show. Aduriz really is under rated I think: he is excellent of the ball and as you said quite quick still. The declining also is a bit off: he is at top of his game at this age and clearly motivated so he should be good until the end of his new contract if he stays as a first choice.

Can't disagree really. I suppose Sabin isn't really doing much more in real life than he offers in game. I thought personally he was perhaps a little more skillful in real life in than in game, but it's pretty minor. Agree also on De Marcos, but would worry he would become too good if his defensive attributes were improved. I would say he almost needs to be nerfed on the attacking front a touch to compensate.

Aduriz in game is a real shame right now, really hope he is buffed but think his form and obvious longevity will have been noticed. He's got a lot of headlines outside of Spain for his form.

It's so disappointing how pretty much all Athletic players have been graded in the game. If a talent like Williams was at Barca or Madrid, they would be -95 or -9 at a push, certainly no where near the fixed he was given. Lopez has shown flashes of brilliance too and should also be rated higher. Muniain another who has had his stats and PA slashed, granted an injury wouldn't have helped that, but you wouldn't have seen such a demise in a player from a "top" club. Agreed about Kepa here too, irl has all the scouts shouting about him, yet is given a measly figure in the game. Laporte, one of the most sought after defenders in the world, yet gets a fixed PA when Tielemans (for example) is a guaranteed world beater? Iturraspe has been one of the most consistent performers in the league and a star for Athletic, yet he's been graded almost the same as Tom Cleverley, are you kidding me!? There is no one in the youth team worth bothering with, which is another travesty. I don't need to tell you lot how much they rely on the academy. Stars like Aketxe, Inigo Vicente are comparable to low league players. This needs to stop, the underrating and the undervaluing. Does anyone know the researcher supplying the information?

It's better to keep to youth on the main club to tutor and make them available for 90 mins for Bilbao, yes?

I tend to do that with talented youngsters who aren't good enough for the first team yet. Usually when 17 though, 16 year olds I tend to let them play the first season in the under 18s

It's so disappointing how pretty much all Athletic players have been graded in the game. If a talent like Williams was at Barca or Madrid, they would be -95 or -9 at a push, certainly no where near the fixed he was given. Lopez has shown flashes of brilliance too and should also be rated higher. Muniain another who has had his stats and PA slashed, granted an injury wouldn't have helped that, but you wouldn't have seen such a demise in a player from a "top" club. Agreed about Kepa here too, irl has all the scouts shouting about him, yet is given a measly figure in the game. Laporte, one of the most sought after defenders in the world, yet gets a fixed PA when Tielemans (for example) is a guaranteed world beater? Iturraspe has been one of the most consistent performers in the league and a star for Athletic, yet he's been graded almost the same as Tom Cleverley, are you kidding me!? There is no one in the youth team worth bothering with, which is another travesty. I don't need to tell you lot how much they rely on the academy. Stars like Aketxe, Inigo Vicente are comparable to low league players. This needs to stop, the underrating and the undervaluing. Does anyone know the researcher supplying the information?

I find the youth players who come through future intakes are a good reflection of real life in terms of quality for Athletic - you get a decent balance of future stars and good La Liga players, but yes I agree totally (and it's been the same for numerous versions now) that existing youth players at Athletic are often woefully underrated. You only need to look at Inaki Williams in FM15 and earlier to see a good example of that. FM16 is actually a touch better in some ways, as players like Xiker and Villalibre actually can become good first team players, whereas in FM15 they were not good at all.

Laporte is wanted by every big club in the game and has excellent attributes - not sure what more they could do with him to be honest. He has a very high CA/PA.

I seem to find Lopez gets a good potential rating but often gets loaded into the game with terrible hidden attributes leaving him in need of tutoring. In this years save he's been a first team regular for many seasons. Williams has had a blinding season, but I think his PA rating was probably fair based on his emergence into the first team last year. He may well now get a buff for the January data update. Aketxe normally becomes a good back up option at best, and Inigo Vicente is absolutely awful. Plenty of other highly rated youngsters whos PAs are extremely limited as well.

For such a massively successful academy, I do feel the fact they're not Barca or Real does hamper the ratings of the young players.

Guest El Payaso

The dB discussion is a bit off topic but yes there are lots of things to be fixed.

Barcelona for example should have rating system of their own to make the game world realistic. At the moment any team in the world can't play control against them while in the game you can easily dominate them with Arsenal, ManU and even Athletic.

To add to those examples: how about those cheap South Americans? If these Lucas Romeros and Balantas are so good and cheap, then why no-one IRL has bought them and easily built a team to concuer everything...

Agree with pretty much everything you say there Bowieinspace, good analysis. Just one thing though:

Laporte is wanted by every big club in the game and has excellent attributes - not sure what more they could do with him to be honest. He has a very high CA/PA.

Very high PA? Wouldn't really call what he's been given as that, remember Balanta last year? That's surely the bracket he should fall under.

As for the above post: It's not off topic at all, a discussion about the team and players in the Player and Team guide > FM16: Athletic Bilbao thread. If anyone would be aware of how underrated the players are, it would be the "managers" who have played a game with Athletic.

Guest El Payaso

It is off topic although I don't mind it in this thread. The discussion should be made at the bugs forum and database issues. I haven't watched Athletic that much IRL this season so can't suggest anything.

Just the thing with De Marcos and really it is odd that Aduriz is only considered as "a good La liga player" and players like Morata and Ayoze are considered that much better..

Morata IRL has about ten in fifty for Juve and Ayoze about the same for Newcastle. And at the same time Aduriz scores one in every two games...

It is off topic although I don't mind it in this thread. The discussion should be made at the bugs forum and database issues. I haven't watched Athletic that much IRL this season so can't suggest anything.

Just the thing with De Marcos and really it is odd that Aduriz is only considered as "a good La liga player" and players like Morata and Ayoze are considered that much better..

Morata IRL has about ten in fifty for Juve and Ayoze about the same for Newcastle. And at the same time Aduriz scores one in every two games...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Aduriz got a boost in the data update. In fact I'd be dissapointed if he didn't

Agree with pretty much everything you say there Bowieinspace, good analysis. Just one thing though:

Very high PA? Wouldn't really call what he's been given as that, remember Balanta last year? That's surely the bracket he should fall under.

As for the above post: It's not off topic at all, a discussion about the team and players in the Player and Team guide > FM16: Athletic Bilbao thread. If anyone would be aware of how underrated the players are, it would be the "managers" who have played a game with Athletic.

Cheers :thup: I suppose it's always going to be opinion at the end of the day.

Laporte has been a world class CB his whole career in my save. It would be a big risk for the researcher to give him a much higher PA (as it's a fixed PA) given that he is one of the best ball playing CBs in the game anyway.

Guest El Payaso
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Aduriz got a boost in the data update. In fact I'd be dissapointed if he didn't
Same here. So many Spanish (to start with) strikers are rated higher than him even though he has outscored almost every single one of them for years. I think La liga is the best league in the world and scoring 15-20 per season there in a high mid table club deserves better than "good La liga player" status. And he has outpaced quite many defenders too. I wonder what have these Morata and Ayoze guys done to deserve their high ratings...

Also Williams is a thing that annoys a bit. He is only a Basque version of Theo Walcott apparently and some unproven talents like Barboza and Zivkovic are rated much higher and yet it is Williams that has caught the eye of Premier league clubs.

Same here. So many Spanish (to start with) strikers are rated higher than him even though he has outscored almost every single one of them for years. I think La liga is the best league in the world and scoring 15-20 per season there in a high mid table club deserves better than "good La liga player" status. And he has outpaced quite many defenders too. I wonder what have these Morata and Ayoze guys done to deserve their high ratings...

Also Williams is a thing that annoys a bit. He is only a Basque version of Theo Walcott apparently and some unproven talents like Barboza and Zivkovic are rated much higher and yet it is Williams that has caught the eye of Premier league clubs.

I feel like Morata is all reputation having come from Madrid and because of the clubs he's played for. Ayoze I really don't get that one, but then I don't watch them and so I haven't seen how good he is or the potential you might see in his game. Either way, in terms of CA, Aduriz is surely deserving of an excellent rating right now.

Williams is a tough one, he's done so well this season, but the difficult question for the researchers is looking at the potential I suppose. They may look at his form this season and think he has perhaps shown what he can do in good form, and might not get much further. I would imagine his in game CA is probably higher at the start than Barbosa and Zivkovic, but perhaps lower PA? Either way, his form this season surely means at least his CA will get buffed, if not his PA as well.

Guest El Payaso
I feel like Morata is all reputation having come from Madrid and because of the clubs he's played for. Ayoze I really don't get that one, but then I don't watch them and so I haven't seen how good he is or the potential you might see in his game. Either way, in terms of CA, Aduriz is surely deserving of an excellent rating right now.
Yep and not to begin with Soldado, Negredo etc. All of them are rated better in the game yet still it is Aduriz that always scores the most.

Not expecting him to be anything like a complete forward in the game and actually for example his passing might be over-rated in the game a bit (13 I think) but still a leading La liga player or even a star wouldn't go overboard.

Williams is a tough one, he's done so well this season, but the difficult question for the researchers is looking at the potential I suppose. They may look at his form this season and think he has perhaps shown what he can do in good form, and might not get much further. I would imagine his in game CA is probably higher at the start than Barbosa and Zivkovic, but perhaps lower PA? Either way, his form this season surely means at least his CA will get buffed, if not his PA as well.
Williams only seems like the next Theo Walcott in the game. His direct approach might confuse but he still has a good technique and decent vision to back that with.

I don't know how good these Zivkovic and Barbosa really are at the beginning as I never pay attention to them but for example Barbosa has been bought by Juve in couple of my saves to replace the overrated and sold Morata and he has just walked to the starting line-up...

The thing with all these South American "talents" is that they have been rated really highly in the game for years and are really cheaply signed yet IRL no-one has signed them so there is something wrong with this.

Finished the first season a few days ago and finished 3rd, equal on points with Atletico.

Made a few changes in the summer, tried to get Griezmann but he wasn't interested in discussing a contract with me, hopefully next season if we get CL again.

Herrera has come in though, £2.5m upfront and £11m after 50 games, quite a good signing I feel. I've managed to keep all of my good players, loads of bids have come in but I've rejected them, players were disappointed but now they're ok and have signed new contracts.

Now just need to push on, get CL again this season and then hopefully push for the title next season.

How does Muniain do for everyone? I got a £15m offer in the summer and was tempted to sell as I don't really see him fitting in to my team. Resisted though as he is still young and there isn't too much Basque talent out there.

Guest El Payaso
How does Muniain do for everyone? I got a £15m offer in the summer and was tempted to sell as I don't really see him fitting in to my team. Resisted though as he is still young and there isn't too much Basque talent out there.
Good provider (inside forward(s)) down the right side. Really versatile player and really not worth getting rid of. I personally don't like getting rid of anyone or buying anyone as that is the best way to keep it interesting and challenging.

Awesome you got Herrera for such a good price and so quickly, I've not seen him available like that yet so quickly. I would keep Muniain, to be honest he underperforms a little (didn't start really excelling for me until he was in his late 20s), and Ibai is immense on the left as an IF. However he's a very good player and as you say, there's not many options out there. Especially for only 15mil I would keep keep keep.

Good provider (inside forward(s)) down the right side. Really versatile player and really not worth getting rid of. I personally don't like getting rid of anyone or buying anyone as that is the best way to keep it interesting and challenging.
Awesome you got Herrera for such a good price and so quickly, I've not seen him available like that yet so quickly. I would keep Muniain, to be honest he underperforms a little (didn't start really excelling for me until he was in his late 20s), and Ibai is immense on the left as an IF. However he's a very good player and as you say, there's not many options out there. Especially for only 15mil I would keep keep keep.

Ok, I'll keep Muniain and see how he does, cheers.

Herrera was transfer listed pretty much all season, United wanted £30m for him in January but it had dropped a lot by the summer. He played 4(5) league games for them.

I've been using Munian and Ibai as a WP-A and they're consistently some of the top performers. I'm in late Jan and in the league Munian has the 2nd most key passes. I also use Ibai at RM a lot as a winger. But, I'm also not a real big fan of wide players in the AM strata. Don't track back how I like. :)

I've been using Munian and Ibai as a WP-A and they're consistently some of the top performers. I'm in late Jan and in the league Munian has the 2nd most key passes. I also use Ibai at RM a lot as a winger. But, I'm also not a real big fan of wide players in the AM strata. Don't track back how I like. :)

Interesting, I always lent towards the 4-2-3-1 with Athletic, but dropping Muniain especially into a slightly deeper role to link more with the build up would make a lot of sense. Ibai is just awesome on FM wherever he plays! You can play him right or left, personally I think he's best being put in a position where he will score goals. He's also got great set piece delivery and scores free kicks.

Interesting, I always lent towards the 4-2-3-1 with Athletic, but dropping Muniain especially into a slightly deeper role to link more with the build up would make a lot of sense. Ibai is just awesome on FM wherever he plays! You can play him right or left, personally I think he's best being put in a position where he will score goals. He's also got great set piece delivery and scores free kicks.

I play a "442" with a flat midfield and a DLF/SS up top. Ibai has been a great utility man for me playing both ML/MR and a super sub. But, as a WP-A with a BBM next to him, Munian is able to kind of get free reign and start wide, work more centrally and have my WB, BBM, DLF to link with as well as hitting the W-A on the right or the SS on a through ball. He doesn't get many actual "assists" but his rating is nearly 8.0 on average and his key passing is huge.

Also, Inaki has been a hell of a DLF-S for me. He netted about 16 goals before the winter break but picked up a bad knee injury that kept him out for 2 months.

Guest El Payaso
Barcelona just finished 9th in my save :O
Which season is that? I started a new one.

Beat Barca 4-0 at home in the Super Cup and allowed 46 shots in the away game and lost 3-1. Got both Neymar and Suarez injured for weeks as well meaning that Messi now has 9 in first five league games which is so nice. Hope he can keep going.

Zidane with Real and Neville with Valencia are doing poorly.

Decided to retire this save, I've enjoyed it but time to move on. Decided to genie scout my squad once I made the call to finish it to see how a few of my youth prospects were rated.

My star midfielder, Joseba Diez, was rated 192 CA. Absolute legend he is. My attackers are decent, but one of the reasons I decided to move on was vindicated on genie scout because I was getting frustrated with the lack of defenders, and particularly getting defenders into my youth team with high potential star ratings who never became any good whatsoever.

The best basque regen defender since 2015/16 in the entire game was 152 PA. I have a 4 gold star (with extra black star) rated CB in my youth team who is 15, thought he was looking decent... 144 PA. I've got excellent staff making the ratings too so it really shows much harder youth development games are now in FM16. Really disappointed to have had such a raw deal with defenders in this save because it's made it virtually impossible to do well with this team. Finished on a league/cup double and a champions league runners up medal, so happy to sign it off there!

Need to decide what to do next now, think I'll wait for the data update and then decide. I may do another Athletic save but I've done so many in FM and usually only do one per year so may leave it there now.

Guest El Payaso
What leagues/database is recommended for a Bilbao save? Thanks
I always pick all three levels of Spain and also load the big leagues as playable and use large database. I think that by doing that you maximise your player development and also get the needed challenge in Europe.

I always pick all three levels of Spain and also load the big leagues as playable and use large database. I think that by doing that you maximise your player development and also get the needed challenge in Europe.

Yup would go larger on the DB size, or at least medium. I went on a small DB and the amount of youth grads going into other basque youth academies was really limited. You need Sociedad and Osasuna bringing in big intakes each year!

So, as I'm coming out of the winter transfer window I was thinking... How should I assign my scouts? With this being my first stab at an Athletic save, I was wondering what you do for your scouts? I plan to have one look for just 16< guys in Spain and one in France, but otherwise... what should I be doing with them considering Basque players are few and far between.

Archived