Can an Intel Core M chip run FM15?

Hi everyone, first post on this board but have been meaning to join for some time.

As the title says, really. Not talking 3D graphics as I usually play in 2D view anyway. Hopefully this is the right sub-forum to ask this!

Hi everyone, first post on this board but have been meaning to join for some time.

As the title says, really. Not talking 3D graphics as I usually play in 2D view anyway. Hopefully this is the right sub-forum to ask this!

what are the full specs of the laptop/computer?

M processor basically means it's a mobile processor, most laptops will have this. Ultrabooks, thin laptops will have a Y or U processor.

What you need to pay attention to is the base speed, and at 1.1 or 1.2ghz that just will run FM at an absolute crawl.

Look for processors that have a 2.0ghz or more base speed.

You will see numbers relating to turbo boost or overclocking - this just means when the processor can it will run at those speeds.

But for FM it's all about the processor.

What's your budget???

M processor basically means it's a mobile processor, most laptops will have this. Ultrabooks, thin laptops will have a Y or U processor.

What you need to pay attention to is the base speed, and at 1.1 or 1.2ghz that just will run FM at an absolute crawl.

You will see numbers relating to turbo boost or overclocking - this just means when the processor can it will run at those speeds.

What's your budget???

I think you're mistaken there, Eugene. The Core M processors are a brand new type of mobile processors, not intended for regular laptops, but for really tiny and lightweight ones and tablets, and crossovers between such devices. They are generally less powerful than the low voltage Core 3/5/7 "U" processors, but more powerful (more efficient) than the old Intel Atoms, if I'm not mistaken. The more powerful lightweight "proper" laptops (but including the Surface Pro), will still run Core 3/5/7 XXXXU processors, leaving the Core M for devices where weight and heat and power drain is even more of an issue. And the even more powerful not so lightweight laptops will still predominantly use the "proper" mobile "normal voltage" Core 3/5/7 processors without the U at the end of their model name. My guess is that it was these latter ones you were referring to. But Core M is something else entirely.

What's your budget???

budget is quite large as it's an ultrabook I'm trying to buy - although having read this I think I might sacrifice some portability for a better-spec'd machine.

budget is quite large as it's an ultrabook I'm trying to buy - although having read this I think I might sacrifice some portability for a better-spec'd machine.

I would say if you have a large budget look at a MacBook Pro retina, MacBook Air, Dell XPS, Razer Blade, or something like that. If it's that new MacBook you are looking at, it does turbo boost to quicker speeds, but it is expensive for the specs you get. MacBook Air, while offering a worse display, offers better specs to price. I had a MacBook Air before, and even that ran it a little slow and got hot while playing.

So if it is that MacBook 12" you are looking at, purely from a price to performance view, I would say avoid getting it. If you are wondering I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 15" and even this struggles with 3D camera on, performance wise no, heat wise though, that's another thing.

I would say if you have a large budget look at a MacBook Pro retina, MacBook Air, Dell XPS, Razer Blade, or something like that. If it's that new MacBook you are looking at, it does turbo boost to quicker speeds, but it is expensive for the specs you get. MacBook Air, while offering a worse display, offers better specs to price. I had a MacBook Air before, and even that ran it a little slow and got hot while playing.

So if it is that MacBook 12" you are looking at, purely from a price to performance view, I would say avoid getting it. If you are wondering I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 15" and even this struggles with 3D camera on, performance wise no, heat wise though, that's another thing.

I want it for the screen/portability. The Air is great but it's not got a retina display. FM won't be it's main purpose but definitely something to consider when buying it

I want it for the screen/portability. The Air is great but it's not got a retina display. FM won't be it's main purpose but definitely something to consider when buying it

All I will say is just be careful before buying as it's not very powerful. I've heard good things about it, but not at the price point. Here's some alternatives: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/03/10/5-superior-alternatives-to-apples-new-macbook/

The Dell XPS has a high res display.

Also a review of the MacBook 12:

Also note the need for adapters as it's only got USB C and only one port.

If you do go for it however, do let us know how FM is on it. It should be noted however that FM15 on steam says minimum CPU speed is 1.8, which when turbo boosted (does that automatically btw) it should be fine. But don't expect to run too many leagues at once.

I think you're mistaken there, Eugene. The Core M processors are a brand new type of mobile processors, not intended for regular laptops, but for really tiny and lightweight ones and tablets, and crossovers between such devices.

Oh I see lol - I thought we were talking about a processor with say i7 1234m - or mq - or hq - etc.

Yes the M processor is a new line of processor - sorry for any confusion I may have added.

Archived