Real Life Football Management

I am a teacher in Turkey and I have been asked to manage the football team of my high school. I have seen some students playing and it looks like my main problem is their 'stamina'. I mean they have always played in smaller pitches. Now they are grown up but when they sprint 90-100 metres, they are all finished up n struggling to breathe.

So I am thinking of doing some aerobic and strength training to improve their stamina n fitness. Could you please advise me some drills for that kind of training? We have 35 days until the tournament starts. Any help or links are appreciated.

I run 400m and 800m for my local athletics club. I would recommend interval training and fartlek training mainly because football requires you to alternate between running at pace and jogging lightly, so research interval training and fartlek training. An example of this would be sprinting 200m then jogging 200m alternately for 2km.

I reckon that normal aerobic training would also help, so sessions such as 5x800m with 6 minutes rest between each 800m rep. Shuttle runs should also help because you're often required to perform turns at pace in football.

Fartlek running is the way forward but 35 days isn't really long enough for a full training cycle (most personal trainers will use a six-week cycle) and you might not see huge results anyway. My advice is fitness training but also try to work on a style of football that requires less fitness. Think about it in terms of FM tactics: you'll probably want to think about closing down less, retaining possession, working the ball into the box etc; basically a style that relies less on chasing around all over the place and more on letting the ball do the work.

Thank guys. Both make sense and I will research more about these.

Do you think 4 days in a week would be enough? or should we do these everyday? And I think we should start with a lighter training and it can get heavier as we gain more strength each day. For example; 1st day 3x600m.. 2nd day 3x800m 3rd day 4x800,etc.. Am I wrong?

@First Name Last Name; My tactic will be about retaining possession. In terms of FM; our technical stats are above average, but our defending and mental stats aren't too good. However I will still need lots of stamina or I will have to ask my full backs 'stay back at all times'.

Thank guys. Both make sense and I will research more about these.

Do you think 4 days in a week would be enough? or should we do these everyday? And I think we should start with a lighter training and it can get heavier as we gain more strength each day. For example; 1st day 3x600m.. 2nd day 3x800m 3rd day 4x800,etc.. Am I wrong?

If they're low on stamina I wouldn't give them more than four days a week as you might end up just using all their energy. Rest days are equally as important as training days, if not more so.

As for getting heavier each day, it's a long time since I learned this stuff but if I remember correctly the best way is to build up week by week, rather than day by day. The way I seem to remember setting up routines was for week two to be heavier than week one, week three to be lighter than week two but heavier than week one, week four to be heavier than week three, week five to be lighter than week four but heavier than week three etc.

I'd research it though, if I were you, there should be plenty of websites that can give you some tips. As I say it's a long time since I was taught these things and I've never used them since then so I might have forgotten something important or gotten something wrong so don't just take my word for it.

I know training will have its benefits, but how high a level is this? I know you say it's a high school team, but is this a serious football team or just an extra-curricular activity? If it's more the latter, and I was one of those players, I'd probably rather be enjoying the activity, rather than just being hammered with fitness training. In playing small-sided games, getting them to enjoy playing, they'll improve their fitness slightly. Nowhere near the levels of doing interval training will, but I know which one I'd rather be doing. Plus, does this team have the technical ability? You say they can't run 100m without seeming out of breath, but if they can't control a ball, then running 100m easily won't make much difference. But if you can organise them well enough, and get them more comfortable on the ball, the fitness won't be as important. However, if they're technically gifted but not very fit, then I guess fitness is where you should improve.

I could be in the minority with that though.

Archived