[MLS] Can't sign players for squad rules

I'm managing NYCFC.

On midseason, I'm trying to sign some young foreign player, but I can't offer them any kind of salary, even though I'm well under the salary cap (around 500K € under the cap).

If I let the director of football manage the signing, the fail for not conforming the squad rules. But I can't understand WHICH rules, since everything seems in order and I think I should have space for some new player.

Here some pictures to better show the situation.

s0OHRE.png

g77XlY.png

uliyJN.png

Discovery players are any players you sign that do not have MLS rights. Basically any player outside the draft and MLS youth academies are discovery players. That's my experience in game. When you are on the player's transfer screen, you can see the number of discovery players you have signed so far on the right side of the screen along with the date when the player will join your team if the transfer goes through.

If its not the discovery player that is causing the issue, then I'm not sure what the problem is. I had similar issues when trying to sign a player for 388k (max senior contract amount annually). The game would only let me sign some for 313k annually.

It's not the discovery rule. I have 10 discovery spots for the season (I guess being an expansion team grants me more spots) but I used none.

Now I'm trying to sign another player and it seems I can offer him a salary... I really can't understand...

I'm managing NYCFC.

On midseason, I'm trying to sign some young foreign player, but I can't offer them any kind of salary, even though I'm well under the salary cap (around 500K € under the cap).

If I let the director of football manage the signing, the fail for not conforming the squad rules. But I can't understand WHICH rules, since everything seems in order and I think I should have space for some new player.

Here some pictures to better show the situation.

Did you offer a transfer fee? If so, how much? If the fee + salary exceeds the permitted salary cap impact for a Senior contract, you cannot sign him. If not, can you post here; http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/399739-U.S.A.-(Official)-League-Specific-Issues please and upload a save to the FTP. Thanks

Did you offer a transfer fee? If so, how much? If the fee + salary exceeds the permitted salary cap impact for a Senior contract, you cannot sign him. If not, can you post here; http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/399739-U.S.A.-(Official)-League-Specific-Issues please and upload a save to the FTP. Thanks

Thats a rule I did not know. Thanks Max :)

It's not the discovery rule. I have 10 discovery spots for the season (I guess being an expansion team grants me more spots) but I used none.

Now I'm trying to sign another player and it seems I can offer him a salary... I really can't understand...

MLS rules are complex, to say the least. In any case, I'm guessing it is the transfer fee as Max noted. The "salary cap" is kind of a misnomer, it is really a budget cap on all player spending including transfer fees. A real life example I always mention is Alex Lopez of the Houston Dynamo. His salary is only $110k, however transfer fee was $1 million which pushed the cap hit above the DP threshold, consequently he occupies a DP spot on the roster as a young DP.

In real life you could use allocation money to buy down the cap hit below the DP level (New York Red Bulls have done this with Sacha Klejstan; he won't be a DP in 2015 because they bought down his cap hit). That ability is not implemented in FM yet, though.

If not a transfer fee issue, look at your actual salary budget versus your spending on your finances page. Because of the high cost of a couple of my DPs, my board won't let me sign anybody. I'm under the MLS cap but over my team's budget.

If not a transfer fee issue, look at your actual salary budget versus your spending on your finances page. Because of the high cost of a couple of my DPs, my board won't let me sign anybody. I'm under the MLS cap but over my team's budget.

Yeah, I think this is exactly the problem.

• 2 years later...

having the same issue, except even with a 0$ sing on fee and 0$ agent fee, and 8K under the salary cap, still can't offer him a senior  contract. Any MLS save i have ever done i have always run into this problem, can only ever seem to buy designated players. and i only play in the MLS so you could imagine the frustration.58c75093741aa_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.9059e07a909e6dae1e58fb6f2c97833b.png

8 hours ago, haviick said:

having the same issue, except even with a 0$ sing on fee and 0$ agent fee, and 8K under the salary cap, still can't offer him a senior  contract. Any MLS save i have ever done i have always run into this problem, can only ever seem to buy designated players. and i only play in the MLS so you could imagine the frustration.58c75093741aa_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.9059e07a909e6dae1e58fb6f2c97833b.png

The transfer fee is 2m euros which will be added to the cap hit. See my post of Feb 2nd above ^. The second guy you're buying for 95k so the cap impact is considerably smaller. 

Archived