What leagues

All - Every European Country, usually Brazil, USA, Mexico, South Africa, Australia, and either Korea or China.

I like having active leagues on every continent. Keeps long-term saves interesting. Sometimes don't bother with some of the more obscure European leagues, Belarus, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, etc. Would like to see the Maltese league brought into FM though.

Yes, that's plenty. There's no need to run the number of leagues I do to have an entertaining game. I just do it because I don't care about game speed and like to have activity going on all across the globe.

Large player database and every league playable has been my go-to for a few years now. Used to be that loading every player in the database would cause frequent crashes and I haven't tried it in recent games in the series but the large database still provides plenty people to choose from.

Some of the most enjoyable saves I've had over the years have started off in countries I'd otherwise never have played in (e.g. Iceland, Hungary) before moving on for new experiences and challenges. I try to resist the urge to manage in England or Scotland, as I've managed there in every iteration of FM, but I'd always have their leagues active so I can see how teams are doing without me interfering.

Archived