When is to old to develop player?

I am trying to learn to play a more long term save with developing youth more so than buying established players. My question is say 2-3 months before the end of the season I look at young players that are going out of contract. I see a couple 4.5 - 5 star potential players with a current star of say 2. The players are between 19-21. Is it still a good time to get these guys in and developed to full potential or are they possibly older so they wont reach the potential? If so what age do you usually consider a youngster with good potential to old?

It depends on several factors.

First how much do plan to play these players. And on what level. If you're only in 3rd division of a nation they'll probably won't develop that effectively.

Also you must consider the professionalism and ambition of the players. The higher the better/easier their CA rises.

And last but not least you should also consider your training facilities.

Overall I would say, no they're not too old, these kind of players are not too late to develop on, but you must consider the mentioned factors. That is if you're playing in the lowest league with crap facilities no player will ever fulfil their potential.

I am trying to learn to play a more long term save with developing youth more so than buying established players. My question is say 2-3 months before the end of the season I look at young players that are going out of contract. I see a couple 4.5 - 5 star potential players with a current star of say 2. The players are between 19-21. Is it still a good time to get these guys in and developed to full potential or are they possibly older so they wont reach the potential? If so what age do you usually consider a youngster with good potential to old?

24/25 is when they tend to 'slow' or 'stop' in terms of drastic improvements.

They never stop developing though, 25+ re-distribute their attributes and can improve some points but the bulk of improvement is likely to be done from 15-25. If someone is an average player at 25 with world class potential it is very unlikely he will ever hit his final potential.

It all depends on how you use them. I found a 21yr old with a CA of 1.5 stars and PA of 4.5 stars. He’s now 24 and flitters between 3.5 and 4 stars. If they have decent key attributes then it’s always worth your while taking a punt on them.

Normally I am trying to get them as young as possible, like 14-15 years old. The reason is that I can affect his training even more. In that way I have more influence in his deveoplent due to the fact that i can controll what attributes i think he should focus on.

But there are several additions to take into account as some already explained with trainings facilities etc.

Im my view 23 is MAX, 24 is when they seem to stop, I personally avoid any player under 21 if they have a big gap between current level and potential. Seen it many times where they are rated highly then suddenly the rating just drops - despite playing and good facilities etc.

I always look for high determination too.

Like others have said I try and get them young and develop them, keep them at the club until 18, then if they wont make the first team squad (sub/backup etc) then I loan them for 2 years or so.

Archived