Quick Board Question

Lam3r

I started a career game as an unemployed sunday league manager a few days ago. Ended up getting the Tamworth job in November 2013, who were at the time 3rd bottom of the Conference South. Their expected position was 4th, and the board still expected me to reach the play-offs that season, which was a reasonably tall order but they did have some decent players and the 2nd highest budget in the league (About 11k a week wage budget), as well as being professional in a mostly semi-pro league so it was just about doable from where they were when I took over.

I did actually finish 4th and then won the play-offs, so took them from 3rd bottom to promotion in 7 months. I was then given a 13k per week budget for the Conference Premier and tasked with achieving a mid table position. Given that the budget was more or less slap bang in the middle of all the teams this was fairly easy. I overachieved slightly and ended up finishing 8th, without ever really threatening the play-off places. Still, this is Tamworths highest ever finish.

Just playing through pre-season for season 3 and the board have cut my wage bill to 11k per week and the minimum expectation is promotion?! Given the budget is now less than last season and probably in the lowest third of the league, and that Tamworth have never been so high why the ridiculous expectations? I can live with the budget cut as finances aren't great (mainly down to not having any decent cup runs, keep getting drawn away to higher placed teams in the first round!) but the expectation of promotion just seems ridiculous.

Is this normal, or do I just have a moron for a Chairman?

The two things are separate.

Wage budget is based on the finances of the club and it looks like they have got worse over the last season meaning your budget has been trimmed.

Expectations are based a few things like reputation, your finish last season and the chairmans hidden attributes. I suspect he is probably quite ambitious and you finished 8th last season, add to that you are a full time club with a squad that probably has quite a high reputation in the league. What is the media predictation like? where do they expect you to finish?

90% of Conference Premier clubs are full time, and we shouldn't have a high rep in the league at all, it's full of much bigger ex Football League clubs like Bristol Rovers, Grimsby and Torquay etc.

Media Prediction is 12th.

Yep thats a clear sign then that you have an ambitious chairman who will want constant improvement.

The question now is how patient is he and how much time will you get, the media prediction looks a fair reflection of where you are and it looks like a big overachievement to get promotion.

I've had this issue before. Ambitious chairmen have ruined games for me - but I suppose they exist in real life (though normally higher up the ladder).

That's the thing, if it's because the Chairman is a bit of an idiot then I agree it should be in the game and it's a good thing as there are definitely plenty of them IRL. Just more curious as to whether this is the case or this kind of thing is normal at this level, as 90% of my FM time is spent managing my own team, Huddersfield Town.

That's the thing, if it's because the Chairman is a bit of an idiot then I agree it should be in the game and it's a good thing as there are definitely plenty of them IRL. Just more curious as to whether this is the case or this kind of thing is normal at this level, as 90% of my FM time is spent managing my own team, Huddersfield Town.

I had a long term save with Cambridge and my chairman was totally opposite. He clearly wasn't ambitious at all and i was able to have 7 seasons in the Conference finishing:

18th

10th

20th

17th

8th

14th

before finally winning the title.

Later on in the save a new chairman came in and gave me the 'so many points in five games or you are sacked' ultimatum despite winning the Europa League and successive Champions League in three years, a PL title and two FA Cups in his short spell with the club.

It does seem harsh but then again look at chairmen in RL - they are far more ruthless on the whole. You are a victim of your own success really.

Archived