Language barrier

What issues does language actually pose in FM?

I am fairly certain it must affect settling in, however does it affect performance of players and coaches?

For example, if there is a player who speaks not a word of English will he struggle to communicate with and therefore play well with his English speaking teammates?

Similarly, if I sign a coach who doesn't speak English will that make his training sessions less effective?

If I move to manage abroad, will my team talks be less effective if I do not speak the same language as my players?

Are there any other issues language causes?

I can only really comment on what I've seen personally, but team talks seem to get less of a response if you don't speak the same language. This is also the same for players who don't speak the language when they've just signed for your club. I can get positive reactions from new players if I've signed them from a club in the same country that I'm already in, but it can take a few months before it happens with foreigners.

I've been thinking about this recently too. When you sign a player who doesn't speak the language but there's another player at the club who speaks both his and the native language - Do you have to do anything to get them to interact or does it just happen automatically? I haven't yet seen an option to get the two players to link up, aside from tutoring - but that is not always viable given you could have a goalkeeper who speaks both languages and your new signing may be a striker.

I've been thinking about this recently too. When you sign a player who doesn't speak the language but there's another player at the club who speaks both his and the native language - Do you have to do anything to get them to interact or does it just happen automatically? I haven't yet seen an option to get the two players to link up, aside from tutoring - but that is not always viable given you could have a goalkeeper who speaks both languages and your new signing may be a striker.

It's found under ambassadorial duties in the both language player's talk but players have to be from the same country (for example, A Dutch player can be told to talk to a fellow dutch player who has been just signed but a Spanish player can't be told to help an Argentinian player)

Archived