When to use a Playmaker / Target Man

I've a double barrelled question.

1. I've a player who matches the play-maker mould. I don't want to mess up a good team playing well by using a play maker unless I'm sure it'll improve us. At the moment I use a play maker at home (especially If I think I'll dominate) and I don't away. I also having selected the DLP role either. I'm worried it'll make him too specific and I think my team is pretty dynamic at the moment. I'm also worried that if I use a PM or TM that the team might become predictable to the opposition. Would they ttarget a playmaker or TM?

2. I don't know when it is/is not applicable to use a target manr. For example I've this terrific poacher but I'm not sure if I should set him to run onto the ball or pass to feet. He clearly isn't all that hot in the air so it's not that. Run onto the ball away from home but I can't do that much as we're not the sort of team to sit deep. We push up and keep the ball.

To give some context. Here is the team instructions. I know that only tells you a little but it might help. The philosophy of my team always is, win the ball, keep it and pass it around. It's took us from the 9th tier up to the BSN

http://imgur.com/a/7UtkI

I absolutely hate lone forwards with attack orders, especially when they are poachers. You are basically playing with 10 men then a goal hogger up front who contributes nothing to the play except to stand in the box and wait for a loose ball to fire in.

Your poacher also contradicts your style of play, you want him to get involved in the build up, you want him to be an outlet to get the ball forward and hold it up in the transition phase.

Personally speaking I would use a striker on support orders, either a target man who plays with his back to goal to receive possession and hold the ball up until the midfield come forward or a deep lying forward creative type who will drop off the front to get the ball and again wait for the midfield to run beyond him.

I wouldn't worry too much about the midfield if it is working well as it is, if you find the player given PM duties is getting targeted you can always switch to another of the three MCs.

I absolutely hate lone forwards with attack orders, especially when they are poachers. You are basically playing with 10 men then a goal hogger up front who contributes nothing to the play except to stand in the box and wait for a loose ball to fire in.

Your poacher also contradicts your style of play, you want him to get involved in the build up, you want him to be an outlet to get the ball forward and hold it up in the transition phase.

Personally speaking I would use a striker on support orders, either a target man who plays with his back to goal to receive possession and hold the ball up until the midfield come forward or a deep lying forward creative type who will drop off the front to get the ball and again wait for the midfield to run beyond him.

I wouldn't worry too much about the midfield if it is working well as it is, if you find the player given PM duties is getting targeted you can always switch to another of the three MCs.

RE: Poacher. I agree. I just have Thomas in there because big D-mol's is injuried. I also have him in because he's the only real goal scorer in my team aside dmola. Dmola is injured and I don't like to rely on my midfield for goals. I would use Tom Bender but he doesn't get many goals (even though he's brilliant for link up play) and that's something my team struggles with. The only other TM i have that scores is a kid and he is suffering from confidence issues (probably because of acne)

So yes, I realize that this isn't ideal but you've only partially addressed my question. To be fair :)

I use an advanced forward as a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation and that works a charm. To the left I use an inside forward support, then an advanced playmaker attack and to the right a winger on support.

I use an advanced forward as a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation and that works a charm. To the left I use an inside forward support, then an advanced playmaker attack and to the right a winger on support.

Three attacking midfielders?

I've had three back-to-back promotions. I think playing three AM's might be a little ambitious at this stage. Anyway, playing a lone striker behind 3 AM's is hardly a leap of faith whereas I'm playing 5 across the midfield.

Three attacking midfielders?

I've had three back-to-back promotions. I think playing three AM's might be a little ambitious at this stage. Anyway, playing a lone striker behind 3 AM's is hardly a leap of faith whereas I'm playing 5 across the midfield.

Two of them are playing wide

Yes, but they're still attacking midfielders.

My point is if you have even one behind the striker it links up with midfield. Three help a lot but also leave your midfield weak so you need to trust your defence. I'm not sure my team are ready to push up quite yet.

Besides, I really like dominating possession.

No, they are in a supporting role and track back. Except for the AMC who is attacking - who still track back though. Usually I play counter mentality but even with an attacking mentality I see my advanced forward track back...

No, they are in a supporting role and track back. Except for the AMC who is attacking - who still track back though. Usually I play counter mentality but even with an attacking mentality I see my advanced forward track back...

Yes. If you have 3 attacking midfielders it doesn't matter if they track back or not, they're still attacking midfielders. They can't run at 100 mph and so you're weakening your midfield by playing them up there.

Either way, I don't care. You're probably playing a bloody premiership team which is entirely different to what I play. In fact, have you even considered that this thread was started about LLM?

I wonder, because if you had I don't think you'd have suggested such a setup and certainly not after I just flipping told you I got 3 back to back promotions. Your suggestions havent been helpful.

Archived