Setting up my first ever save - need advice.

Finally got all the faces, kits and logos downloaded and I'm ready to go. :)

Literally never played FM before so this'll be my first save. Curious to what you guys would suggest using. I don't really want to use a powerhouse team but some buddies said I'm better off not starting in League Two or anything that low. Pretty much just wondering what you guys would recommend. I'm in the US and pretty familiar with the BPL but would be cool trying a save in Spain, Italy, Holland, wherever, really.

Also, how many countries should I load up? I wasn't sure if this meant players accessible to transfers or what exactly. I'm not overly fussed about viewing stats of the Ukrainian League, but I'd like to have some of that talent in the DB and those teams in the Champions League. Do I have to click "Ukraine" then, for example?

Sorry if these are silly questions, couldn't find a beginners guide anywhere. Thanks for reading. Computer specs are good, btw, if that influences your answers.

What kind of save game are you looking for? Journey man save? Resurrecting a fallen giant?

Italy does have a few strange things going on with co-ownership rules n stuff, never quite got to grips with that myself..

At the mo, I am doing a save that started unemployed, and then got offered job in Belgium, went there for just over a season, then got offered low BPL job, tried to save them from relegation, but failed and now in the Championship with the same team... I have all England, Spain, Belgium, Italy loaded and large Db...

Be warned though, if you do start unemployed, then the reputation you give yourself has a massive effect on what jobs you may get offered

What kind of save game are you looking for? Journey man save? Resurrecting a fallen giant?

Italy does have a few strange things going on with co-ownership rules n stuff, never quite got to grips with that myself..

At the mo, I am doing a save that started unemployed, and then got offered job in Belgium, went there for just over a season, then got offered low BPL job, tried to save them from relegation, but failed and now in the Championship with the same team... I have all England, Spain, Belgium, Italy loaded and large Db...

Be warned though, if you do start unemployed, then the reputation you give yourself has a massive effect on what jobs you may get offered

Not sure what I'm after yet, probably something like that (starting unemployed). So you'll only get offers in countries you turn on?

Yeah I think so... Big part of it does depend on what reputation you set yourself at the start though. Don't go with "automatic" or you could be waiting years for an offer!

Normally I like to manage my favourite team from the start, and see what I can do, but lately I have gotten very frustrated with that, as I have a very clear idea of who I think we should be beating, and I quickly lose interest when that doesn't happen!

Have had a few decent saves by going unemployed, but with a decent reputation, and then just pottering around with clubs until I get offered that one "big" job that I cannot refuse...

I do think it is a lot more fun managing in a league you don't really know. Yu dont have as much of a clear idea as to who should be winning or losing....

Yeah I think so... Big part of it does depend on what reputation you set yourself at the start though. Don't go with "automatic" or you could be waiting years for an offer!

Normally I like to manage my favourite team from the start, and see what I can do, but lately I have gotten very frustrated with that, as I have a very clear idea of who I think we should be beating, and I quickly lose interest when that doesn't happen!

Have had a few decent saves by going unemployed, but with a decent reputation, and then just pottering around with clubs until I get offered that one "big" job that I cannot refuse...

I do think it is a lot more fun managing in a league you don't really know. Yu dont have as much of a clear idea as to who should be winning or losing....

Thanks for the responses, mate. What reputation should I go for? The Belgium League/Championship offers sound like a happy medium.

Anytime... I do tend to stick my reputation on the highest possible one, but thats because

I don't always feel like trolling about the lower leagues, like to get into the business end of things but in a different country

and

I know of the problems with lower reputations getting offered jobs...

Also, I dunno if it has any effect, but I always set a 2nd nationality as "swiss" as I am always in careers around Europe, so gives me a good balance of other languages which I think may help with getting to know the team etc...

When I first started a proper game back on CM03/04, I started with a mid-table Premier League team with potential, Tottenham Hotspur, with the big 6 leagues loaded, England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Portugal.

So go with that League set-up and go with Aston Villa... if its your first ever game and dont fancy a powerhouse and would rather a team with a bit of potential.

Archived