Never even getting nominated for Goal of the Month

Just wondering, is this a trend for everyone or is it just my team of robots? Playing with Lincoln City, won the Skrill Premier, scored 104 goals, but never even got in the top 3 for the Goal of the Month award. Next season, League 2, top half finish, again with plenty of goals - not a single nomination.

What's happening here? Are the matches generated in the background more likely to have "nice" goals because they don't actually happen in the real matches? :)

Granted, my players are not the most creative, but neither are the ones that are winning the awards.

Anyone else seeing this as well?

I think it has more to do with play style than goals scored. I've found(anecdotal evidence) that I'll get nominated for more goals if I do the following:

1. Play with midfielders competent in long shots, and allow them to shoot from range.

2. Play counter-attacking football. Runs from your own half is often considered a good goal.

It's all about the long shots. And since the chance of scoring one is so incredibly low, you probably employ tactics that don't promote shooting from distance or simply don't have the players for it. Hence you don't get nominated.

I've seen beautiful goals from my squad absolutely destroying the defense with 1 touch football and my striker blasting the ball from just inside the penalty area. Never have my players been nominated. ;)

Meh, gave up trying to win this Goal of the Month/Season. Its just not possible unless my Cristiano Ronaldo learns to how to put away a 1-on-1 chance after dribbling past 5 players from his own half. I mean come on, you can run past 5 top class defenders and make them look like training cones then smash that shot into orbit? Really, 19 finishing my foot.

One of my centre-backs got goal of the season for a "thumping header" to complete a good team move... that a) wasn't thumping (seriously, my gran runs faster than the ball moved), b) was boring and from a corner.

Meanwhile, the real goal of the season (that I saw, anyway) was probably one of my players' efforts - a 45 yard chip (in off the underside of the bar, for extra cool points) after intercepting a pass in midfield, beating two men, and the goalie insanely deciding the best thing to do against a guy that has the "likes to lob keeper" PPM is to run towards him.

Or maybe that 50-pass move against Liverpool that ended with the most gentle of lazy tap-ins. Can't decide. Probably the latter, since I like tap-ins. Tap-ins are the most glorious goals.

Archived