All these @2x images

TomDixon77

Hey, I have a MacBook Pro with Retina display and I take offense to your comments Tom. I've been one of your biggest supporters of your skin. Please, make those @2x images too, even though I realize that it's additional work and it will delay the release of your fabulous skin. Thank you.

The new MacBook Pro with Retina displays have resolutions of 2560x1600 (13inch) or 2880x1800 (15inch). I have the latter and use 175% zoom (with the max resolution) though I can go up to 200% (I don't use it because I prefer to have more panels displayed on the screens). The @2x images are exactly twice in size to the originals. I use Pixelmator as a graphics program for editing png images and I can see that the @2x images appear a lot smoother within the Pixelmator program and within FM itself (even with 175% zoom).

Just FYI.

I only get to 125% on my screen (1920x1080), though it looks like there is a way to trick FM to display unsupported modes.

The zoom level is controlled by the ui_zoom_level.xml file located in C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2014\Preferences\version 103

value 1 = 100%, value 2 = 125%

I've entered value 3 into the file and then reloaded the skin and it's zoomed me in more (150%?) though it doesn't list a zoom in value in FM.

I'd guess a value of 5 should be 200%

I only get to 125% on my screen (1920x1080), though it looks like there is a way to trick FM to display unsupported modes.

The zoom level is controlled by the ui_zoom_level.xml file located in C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2014\Preferences\version 103

value 1 = 100%, value 2 = 125%

I've entered value 3 into the file and then reloaded the skin and it's zoomed me in more (150%?) though it doesn't list a zoom in value in FM.

I'd guess a value of 5 should be 200%

It's still using the standard images on mine.

Really? That's odd

Tested it with a couple of files and it does seem to apply at any zoom in setting, not sure why it's not working for you.

For example changed paper_middle_middle@2x graphic from \graphics\boxes\bordered for the dark skin to red and which turns the profile screen into this when zoomed in:

8r9i.th.jpg

But leaves it the normal dark colour when you set size to standard or one of the zoomed out options.

Tom, if you are interested I can test Steklo X4 on my MacBook with Retina display without those @2x images done and tell you how it is. Or perhaps you could post a screenshot from your game of your new skin with the highest resolution and zoomed in available on your machine.

I've done some further testing and it seems the @2x graphics act differently to the other graphics.

If you have a normal and @2x graphic in the same folder the @2x graphic will display at any zoomed in level. (i.e. paper_middle_middle.png and paper_middle_middle@2x.png)

If you have just a @2x graphic in the folder then the game just ignores it. (i.e. paper_middle_middle@2x.png)

If you have just a normal graphic in the folder then the game will display that graphic at each zoom level rather than grabbing the @2x graphic from one of the parent skins. (i.e. paper_middle_middle.png)

Which should make things easier from a skinning angle as you only need to create @2x graphics for bits that don't upscale well.

What we need is to be able to set minimum/maximum resolution requirements in the skin settings - much the same way that you can set a minimum version number now. Perhaps skins just wouldn't show in the dropdown if the resolution didn't match or better still they would be greyed out and state their resolution requirements if a user tries to select one.

Code would be something like:

<string id="minimum_vertical_resolution" value="768" />

<string id="minimum_horizontal_resolution" value="1024" />

<string id="maximum_vertical_resolution" value="1080" />

<string id="maximum_horizontal_resolution" value="1920" />

With those skinners could release versions of their skin for different resolution ranges and even screen ratios.

e.g. You might decide to release 3 versions

Default - Will work with all resolutions but may look small at higher resolutions

Widescreen - Will work with all widescreen resolutions like 16:9 and 16:10. You might utilise the extra horizontal space for something like a sidebar that wouldn't work on 4:3 resolutions. you don't want this used at higher resolutions as it looks rubbish.

High Resolution - Designed to work on modern high resolution (widescreen) displays. might include larger text/high res graphics for a crisper look avoiding scaling.

So default would be

<string id="minimum_horizontal_resolution" value="1024" />

Widescreen would be

<string id="minimum_horizontal_resolution" value="1366" />

<string id="maximum_vertical_resolution" value="1079" />

<string id="maximum_horizontal_resolution" value="1919" />

High Resolution would be

<string id="minimum_vertical_resolution" value="1080" />

<string id="minimum_horizontal_resolution" value="1920" />

Plus, it wouldn't mean 3 full skins. Majority of your code and graphics would be in the default skin (in effect the 'base') then the widescreen and HD versions would just contain the changes and alternate graphics.

Archived