Lack of good full backs in my FMC game or am I used to lower standards?

I've just taken over Manchester City in my FMC game after steering Norwich to a League and FA Cup double. Mancini, in his last acts as manager before leaving for Real Madrid, sold both Maicon and Gael Clichy leaving me with Micah Richards and David Alaba as my only recognised right and left backs respectively.

Going out into the market, I'm struggling to find decent full backs. There seem to be a lot of players who my scout rates 2.5 stars (no better than what I've got), but finding someone rated 3 stars+, even potentially is seemingly impossible.

Is this normal? Am I simply used to lower levels at Norwich and finding it easier to improve the side? I should point out this is the first time in playing FM that I've ever managed the dominant side in the league. My FM games never usually progress far enough to earn the stature to take over these sides (I'm used to being offered jobs like Newcastle, Villa and Celtic!). The streamlined nature of FMC has allowed me to play a game to these levels for the first time, though.

Keen to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

• Administrators

I'd be interested to know people's experiences, but from my own save game and looking at soaks this wasn't a problem for me. Remember though that the number of players available will depend on what nations you've got running, and the fact that the database size is medium in FM terms.

• 2 weeks later...
I've found fullbacks rapidly become extinct for a few FMs now. I usually have to convert a DC or midfielder. Quality central midfielders on the other hand seem to grow on trees.

(In my experience.)

I would agree with this. I've done two saves for FMC and there are always loads of quality MCs but very few decent FBs. One of my saves was with Man Utd and the other one in Brazil. Same results after a few seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree fullbacks are hard to find compared with virtually any other commonly used position (e.g. sure there are few sweepers, GK good as a sweeper keeper, or wingbacks - which I would gladly use in place of fullbacks but if anything are more rare). My only experience with FM is FM classic and I've played up to January, 2020. I have England, Germany and Holland loaded. At first, I had no problem, but my players were all championship (in England) quality. Now I'm in the prem and play in europe and it is hard to find quality fullbacks. I'll note that it seems when I look at national sides they list very few players capable of playing left or right back.

Archived