Coming clean - I need help, I don't know what I'm doing!

OK - so *deep breath*, I need help. I don't understand what I'm doing. I'll say what's happened so far, and then need hand-holding through trying to get what I want... ;)

Apologies for lack of screenies - am at work, and TBH not sure how to get them in anyway.

Team - Liverpool FC

1st season - 4th (just!)

Formation - SK, FB(a), BPD(d), CD(d), WB(a), CM(d), DLP(s)[cm slot], W(A), AP(s) IF(A), POA(A) (inside forward on the right).

Team instructions - Very rigid, control strategy, pretty sure I've gone for low closing down as I read somewhere that this wasn't working well in this ME

Overall impressions - successful season, Suarez picked up many goals as poacher but generally front 4 were working well. We were exposed defensively on counters and there were some games we just couldn't get a foothold.

2nd Season - went for same defensive set up, but swapped the AP(s) for DLP(s) in the DMC slot, changed the DLP(s) for a AP(s) and changed the CM from (d) to (s). Also changed Poacher for advanced forward(a)

We are just coming up to Xmas in 2nd season and tactics are pretty much fluid - and we're successful, although very low scoring. Most games are now 1-0 wins unless against a poor team. My central defenders are getting massive ratings this season, but I'm really disapopinted with my attack. We've gone from creating good chances through a variety of means last season to ballooning long-shots from way out or dribbling into trouble. I've tried playing around with Suarez's role, but overall I think we just don't have enough men forward/options hence the long-shots/excessive dribbling - I can't seem to fix this so have ditched it and reverted back to 1st season tactic.

So, what am I after? Well, my tactic works(ish) but I don't really understand why and I don't like our vulnerability at the back. Also, I don't think it's how I really want to play from a tactical point of view... Trouble is, I don't really know how I do want to play.

I like the idea of a fast striker continually pushing the back-line back (i.e. poacher), this should create space in midfield, or expose the opposition to a poor offside call. I'd also like to play 'efficient' football - I love what Barca do, and the current craze to play like them - but I'd much rather hold the ball in my half, create some space and then 2/3 passes to the front man to score. I'm thinking 1 up front is OK, but he's going to need support so either go for 2 up or have 3 in the AMC strata - they should provide the final killer pass. It's at the back that I really don't know what to do...

Best players - Lucas, Reina, Nkoulou, Cirigliano, Suarez (but maybe's he's not all that good...) and Assaidi's turned out OK although work rate is a bit poor...

Please can someone help me learn why my 2nd season tactic wasn't working (I'm burning to understand) and also suggest a target state to work towards for my 1/2 formed ideas on how to play...

Thanks - can post more info tonight if you're missing vital stuff.

pretty sure I've gone for low closing down as I read somewhere that this wasn't working well in this ME
is this a typo? not exactly sure what you mean here

there was a bug in one of the early fm13 ME's that ment high closing down was not working properly, this was fixed a long time ago, if that is what you are talking about

OK - screenies as promised

Here's my 1st season tactic:

1stseason.jpg

And here's my second:

2ndseason.jpg

(ignore Gerrard playing at DMC, he doesn't - I just switched formations quickly to grab these screenshots).

Problem 1) I don't really understand why season 1 tactic worked

Problem 2) I don't really like season 2, tight defensively, rubbish at scoring goals

Problem 3) I don't really have a philosophy as such - other than having a nippy forward upfront to stretch the backline, plus wanting to play 'efficient' football. (I'm not claiming that either of the above tactics do this - they were just what I went for based on team players today. I'd rather have an idea of what I'm aiming for long-term and work towards that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Any reason why you switched your fullbacks to a support duty?

The first thing that sticks out about the second tactic is that you have your three forwards on attack duties, which will tend to leave them isolated from the midfield. This wouldn't have been as much of an issue in the first tactic as you played with an AMC who can link things up. If you want to make the second shape work, you should probably have one of your forwards on a support duty, preferably the CF, although that would go against what you want in your striker.

Thanks RVD. In terms of the fullbacks - I was trying to be more secure at the back, the season 1 tactic was a bit of a "I'll score one more than you" thing.

I'm really struggling to have a footballing philosophy, which (having read the 12 steps, and a variety of other threads, seems to be the place to start). Can anyone help start me off? I've no idea whether to play with 3 at the back (which I'd like), or what shape even...

Your tactics will make changes as the seasons go by until you get one that suits what you have available. I would decide roughly how you want to play, do you want to play attacking football, hit sides on the counter or control a game. Once you have decided that then you can set the team instructions to reflect this.

The first thing I would do to your formation is put your winger and IF onto a support duty, this will give your fullbacks more protection defensively and help link the midfield and forwards together. This should help the problem of a lack of goals.

I would also make Suarez and Trequarista or a DLF as he has the ability to be a fantastic playmaker. With him being a AF he will be further stretched up the pitch and further isolated from the midfield.

Personally I don't like a rigid formation and less creative freedom as the players you have are good enough to make their own decisions and effect a game. This will restrict your players to sticking to there positions and creating less chances through getting in between the lines.

Archived