Float crosses

My teams are simply terrible at defending, no matter what setup I choose. The biggest problem is what is called 'float crosses' in tactics setup, so these far post crosses. They are just tearing up my defence. Goalkeeper often misses them, and wingbacks/fullbacks are late. I tried man marking/zonal marking, man marking on wingers, approaches from defensive to attacking - same problem. Best counter I found out is to beat opponent with same weapon, but it can be so frustrating if your best wingers are injured, or striker has worse day. Generally defending in this FM is really difficult.

Have you tried showing the crosser (be that winger or full back) to their weaker or inside foot?

Also when marking the crossers, have you watched the games so the marker is actually doing his job, or is he perhaps too advanced (attacking full back for example).

-SnUrF

My current team settings:

Sampdoria_Tactics_Team.jpg

And typical situation (I lost another similar goal in that match):

My full-wing back is behind attacking player:

Sassuolo_v_Sampdoria_Pitch_Full.jpg

Although opponent is mediocre player, he easily goes by and crosses deadly ball:

Sassuolo_v_Sampdoria_Pitch_Full_3.jpg

Covering defender goes nuts:

Sassuolo_v_Sampdoria_Pitch_Full_4.jpg

Well......I myself use a 4-2-2-2 box formation (2 DMC, 2MC, 2Strikers, no wingers) so I only have the backs (both WB-a) on the sides and I rarely concede from crosses. And even more rarely from those floating crosses.

Seems like there is a big difference between using RB/LB instead of DML/DMRs. You might want to try changing to a 5-2-1-2 with two attacking wingbacks. Another option is to EVERY match set the individual marking of the backs to mark the specific wingers. (if you set them to manmark before the match the AI might make them manmark the wrong players, do it manually.)

I have no experience with this formation though, I would put the 2 fastest DCs on the flanks though.

Anyhow gl!

I'm getting this all the time, most of the goals I conceed come from these types of crosses. Also when the opposition striker drops deep to collect the ball it tends to result in a goal.

Could that have anything to do with the marking of your defenders or the type of closing down you use?

I'd say it has more to do with this being an overpowered aspect of the match engine, closing down and setting players on their weaker foot works better than nothing but you run into issues when the opposition then change tactics and puts two footed players on the wings.

The last match I played my opponent put his main striker on the right wing - his left foot is strongest and his right is reasonable and he has a crossing of 6 so I decided to show him inside, what happens? He sets up a goal with a cross to the lone forward (rubbish jumping and heading) after I had kept them at bay for 88mins. My taller central defender who has instructions to man-mark the lone striker was drawn away by the right winger along with my wing back.

I dont have that problem at all tbh. I am not even sure why but so far my last 3 games:

- Lyngby 2nd Danish division topteam, then 1st division relegation candidate

-Dinamo Zagreb 1st Croatian division topteam

-Flamengo Brazil 1st division top-ish team

I really have a good defensive record, even with a terrible squad with Lyngby.

Ive used a 41221 with Lyngby and a 4222box with DZ and Flamengo.

With both tactics:

-I have at least 1 DMC. DMC might be the most important position in the game defensively.

-I used default closing down, often with 'hold of' shout, I really prefer this by far over hassling/pressing more. Holding position just seems so much better to me. You say oppo striker drops deep which results in goals for them. Well then close down less...what will happen is this: your defenders and midfielders will not follow players around everywhere they go, but instead stay in position more (never 100%) and wait for the opponent to act. In this case it would mean that the defender would just stay where he was and he would pick up the IF or AMC making a run in the gap (well there would be no gap but still :D).

Another side effect is this: when you get the ball your players are still in the attacking formation because they dont run around like headless chickens meaning you can attack quicker. The DMC wont be all the way on the right side off the pitch too far away to receive short passes from your dcs, stuff like that.

It is personal preference but closing down is something that works sometimes, same with holding off. Against Chelsea it might be better to hold off and to 'guide' hazard into the middle towards your patiently waiting psycho warcriminal DMC who suffers from PTSD, instead of closing him down with your RB and DMC creating a gap behind the RB and in the DMC spot. When playing with Chelsea against a league 2 club pressing is more valuable because you much stronger and they will adapt to that by playing slow, cautious, lots of players behind the ball. If you hold them off within 10 seconds you are at halftime because nothing happened because basically they want to win without attacking. Same holds true when being 1-0 behind in 80th minute ofcourse.

Maybe this wasnt usefull to you but I used to ONLY play with pressing: default or up, until fm2013 and I believe people overvalue pressing and undervalue a more reactive approach.

To come back to the crosses problem. Watch all goals you conceded from crosses the last 5 matches.

-Who gave the cross/assist? The winger, inside forward, fullback? Was the winger unmarked because your back attacked their fullback when he had the ball? Did your own winger not cover their fullback? (btw you can never guard against 100% of all crosses keep that in mind.)

-who finished? last patch i conceded a lot from wingers crossing to the other wingers who were then unmarked in the box. That problem should largely have been solved this new patch and for me it did. I rarely concede like that. If its their strikers check your DCs concentration, heading, jumping etc. Concentration is more important this game than it was in fm12 or so i have been told.

-how was your team shaped, where were the midfielders/wingers/strikers at that moment. They shouldnt necessarily be in the box defending but at least they should be were you want them to be or do what you want them to do (if you have a BWM he will close down whole pitch and he can be anywhere).

Sorry to answer questions with questions, dont take anything i said for granted, i just hope i can be of help :p

GL!

-Who gave the cross/assist? The winger, inside forward, fullback? Was the winger unmarked because your back attacked their fullback when he had the ball? Did your own winger not cover their fullback? (btw you can never guard against 100% of all crosses keep that in mind.)

-who finished? last patch i conceded a lot from wingers crossing to the other wingers who were then unmarked in the box. That problem should largely have been solved this new patch and for me it did. I rarely concede like that. If its their strikers check your DCs concentration, heading, jumping etc. Concentration is more important this game than it was in fm12 or so i have been told.

-how was your team shaped, where were the midfielders/wingers/strikers at that moment. They shouldnt necessarily be in the box defending but at least they should be were you want them to be or do what you want them to do (if you have a BWM he will close down whole pitch and he can be anywhere).

I am quite content with positioning. Even if wing back is dragged away, side defender comes instead. Unfortunately preventing attacking player from delivering cross, or marking wider players seems really difficult. I think I will drop this 5 man defence, and try something with dmc and 4 man defence. I just can't make this system work :(.

I hope I can make side defenders a bit more offensive, not only focusing them on stopping these overpowered crosses.

Archived