Randal'ls Tactic 2013 [13.1.3]

Hi guys,

I, like many of you I'm sure, have been struggling with this most recent patch to find anything even close to resembling a successful tactic. So anyway my laptop broke and I just left football manager for a bit and I've come back determined to make a tactic that works.. and I think I may have done just that.

Now it's early days, only two tests with about 10-15 games in each, but there are a few notable results and the game stats are consistently good, and this is just with me plugging and playing, no set piece setups, no training, no press conferences, just game - holiday - game - holiday - game etc. So I would love some of you to test it and lets see if this is as successful as it seems.

So here is how the tactic looks:

tottenhamhotspurtactics.png

Here are the results in both quick tests so far and the final Premier league season with Tottenham (holidayed cup games):

clubeatlticomineirofixt.png

tottenhamhotspurfixtured.png

tottenhamhotspurfixture.png

englishpremierdivisionovx.png

tottenhamhotspursquadpl.png

And here are some more detailed stats:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3874/mancityvtottenhamstatsm.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/atlticomineirovguaranim.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/atlticomineirovvillanov.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/tottenhamvarsenalstatsm.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/swanseavtottenhamstatsm.png/

The key here is how the team closes down, I noticed that my wingers were largely ineffective both in the attacking sense (always getting to byline cutting inside and trying to shoot from goal line) and then in the defensive sense (they barely tracked back and when they did they seemed reluctant to make even the most perfunctory of tackles) so I thought I'd get shot of them altogether as I noticed that if you play without wingers players fill the gaps when attacking anyway, so usually the Attacking midfielders will pull wide and sometimes the strikers, or if you're really on top the full backs will fill the gap, which seems to be much more effective.

Try as I might a one-striker system just didn't bear any fruit either, so I went for the two strikers which guarantees goals, nicely in this tactic both seem to score with regularity as opposed to one dominating the other, however the goals will usually be split in games, so one might score 3 and the other 1.

I like my defenders to defend, so the full backs have a defend duty, but with quite an attacking mentality (due to the attacking stance) which makes them solid but also get forward enough in support. Also the centre-backs are limited because I don't like them trying too much of the fancy dan stuff, as you'll see though the individual instructions I've not touched, just the combination of the team tactics and their roles have the desired effect. Unfortunately sometimes I still get defence splitting through balls that the defenders just stand and watch, but that's a quirk of the ME I feel, as even trying 3 at the back didn't solve the problem.. if anything it actually exacerbated the problem with just an extra pair of eyes helplessly staring as the opposition attackers ran through one on one.

For the defence midfielders, I always like to have at least one anchor man but I also usually like to have a central midfielder as a deep lying playmaker for the link between attack and defence. This time however I dropped him back to make it a little more defensively stable as he is just far enough forward to be in contact with the attacking midfielders so there is still a strong link. One attacking midfielder has direct passing because on the counter and when he is deep it seems to work really well with the two strikers.

Usually I remove all long shots but they don't seem to be having a detrimental effect here.

In terms of what sort of players, I would try and have at least one quite tall strikers (Jo/Adebayor) as they seem to get quite a few headers. Bit of speed always helps too. Good finishers in attacking mid (sigurdsson/danilson) seem to chip in a fair bit too, but it's all pretty self-explanatory stuff.

Other than that, no shouts, no training, no signings, no nothing, just stick in your players and see how it goes. Would be good if some people did try it out with training and shouts and signings see if it can be made more effective. I'll keep testing and keep you all posted too!

Good luck and enjoy Randall's Tactic 2013!

DOWNLOAD

LINK 1: http://speedy.sh/ADAfW/randalls-tactic.tac

LINK 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/80xza2

(Also I ballsed up the thread title! Would be good if someone could edit that :) )

UPDATE: Trying with Fulham.. only a pre-season friendly but..

fulhamvfcbayernstatsmat.png

Looks promising - will try tonight.

Only problem for you is not being able to use Gareth Bale!

I retrained to lb but then I played him in the Liverpool game and conceded two late goals. He could be retrained for attacking midfield as in this formation they tend to drift out wide.

Good luck guys let me know how it goes!

Hi Randall,

Just curious, with your tactic being symmetrical, what is your thinking behind the passing focus being left flank only?

Was this your stronger side? Or do you find it works better if you focus down a particular flank?

Interested as I have never done this before.

Thanks,

--Ben--

This totally transformed my season. Im Forest Green Rovers who ive got promoted all the way to the EPL but was facing a very tough task avoiding relegation. Beginning of march I was 18th and in dismal form. Was a bit skeptical when trying this tactic but thought why not, well not only did I finish 10th, but I was unlucky to lose a FA cup final to Man U after eliminating man city. Here is a screen of my results.

13179479.jpg

This totally transformed my season. Im Forest Green Rovers who ive got promoted all the way to the EPL but was facing a very tough task avoiding relegation. Beginning of march I was 18th and in dismal form. Was a bit skeptical when trying this tactic but thought why not, well not only did I finish 10th, but I was unlucky to lose a FA cup final to Man U after eliminating man city. Here is a screen of my results.

13179479.jpg

Great results! Glad it's working for you! I will finish off the 3 way test tonight to see where they all finish. Let me know if it works next season!

Also for left flank its so that the attacking midfielder and striker drift out, forvsomr reason it makes them drift out on the right too which gives desired effect. Would be interesting to see if both flanks produces am even better results, but I never tried because the left flank option was working so well.

I'm doing fine with this in my Dinamo save I just started, I only had to turn off off-side, and reset the team instructions to the default so I can control it more with shouts, I was getting caught too high up the pitch against better teams and being punished. Otherwise it is doing well. I will update when I have finished a season.

I am having problems with the conditioning of my players though as the pressing is so high and I'm playing two games a week at the moment.

I'm doing fine with this in my Dinamo save I just started, I only had to turn off off-side, and reset the team instructions to the default so I can control it more with shouts, I was getting caught too high up the pitch against better teams and being punished. Otherwise it is doing well. I will update when I have finished a season.

I am having problems with the conditioning of my players though as the pressing is so high and I'm playing two games a week at the moment.

Has that worked for you? I fear that you will get caught more not playing offside.

Okay guys finished a season now with Tottenham (I holidayed all cup games from about December onwards (and for some reason assman went flat 4-4-2 for all of them), so this is just a premier league test) it went pretty well!!!! One loss to Newcastle which baffles me as the game didn't seem to follow any patterns that showed up through the season, but I guess it was just a quirk of the match engine. Also I had to make one signing as Adebayor was out for about 1/2 of the season so I signed Lewandowski. Here are some final stats from the season and the player stats:

tottenhamhotspurfixture.png

englishpremierdivisionovx.png

tottenhamhotspursquadpl.png

Has that worked for you? I fear that you will get caught more not playing offside.

yes it is better but I struggle at home to win games regardless of offside trap or not. It goes like: me attacking for 75 mins and then the keeper traps the ball, stares at it and watches as the opponent scores, or he kicks it out straight to the striker etc. basically the ME makes the other team win eventually but there is trouble for me to makes good chances.

yes it is better but I struggle at home to win games regardless of offside trap or not. It goes like: me attacking for 75 mins and then the keeper traps the ball, stares at it and watches as the opponent scores, or he kicks it out straight to the striker etc. basically the ME makes the other team win eventually but there is trouble for me to makes good chances.

My keeper did that a few times but not too frequently and I always made 3-5 clear cut chances. So not sure what's going on.. especially strange that it's at home as I was winning consistently. Maybe try putting the team settings on what I had them on originally instead of using shouts. Will be more stable.

Fantastic season there Randall.

Quick question: How do you handle your team talks, especially when on great runs?

What tone do you usually take (or do you mix it up?) and what do you generally say?

As I was trying to make this as plug and play a test as possible I used "ask assistant" but the usual tact I take is "do it for the fans" if I've won 4 in a row against low team expect a win then start cycle again, if losing by 2 aggressive show me something different (or losing by 1 to a low team) if winning by 1 or 2 I encourage if winning by 3 or more well done. At end I say well done for any win, unless it's a 1 goaler against a poor team in which case I say nothing, if I have a much better game than opposition but lose by 1 or draw I sympathise etc. In this test I used ask assistant for most, a couple I manually did.

My keeper did that a few times but not too frequently and I always made 3-5 clear cut chances. So not sure what's going on.. especially strange that it's at home as I was winning consistently. Maybe try putting the team settings on what I had them on originally instead of using shouts. Will be more stable.

That was the original. It is a little better now changed. This is in FMC though.

Archived