Defensive 4-5-1, should the striker be target man or poacher

Hi, I'm currently playing in the non leagues in England. I use a very defensive 4-5-1 with 1 defensive midfielder and mr/ml instead of amr/aml, normally playing on the counter. Obviously this leaves me with a serious problem of scoring goals as my striker is very isolated, I can't seem to work out what type of striker is best suited to this position whether its a target man who can have the ball launched up to him or a poacher who could just pounce on anything loose. Any advice please?

One thing I had some success with is a target man - support when coupled with one very offensive midfielder (CM-A). This way he'll be a good target if one of your wide players makes a dash down the flank, but he'll equally hold up the ball when in possession or when a counter is launched while your midfielder moves into a scoring position.

I've had great success in Belgium playing a similar formation with an isolated striker on advanced forward role. He needs to be quick, good at dribbling, and strength and jumping would help a lot to hold up the ball when hoofed up, too, despite the mobile role.

However this was all at a much higher level so not sure it would work in lower league, I also enjoyed frustrating the opposition by telling my team to hold on to the ball and be patient building from the back despite playing on the counter, this led to a lot of marginal wins as nothing happened in the whole match then we'd score in our only chance. this being a somewhat technical, possession based setup I'm very suspicious it wouldn't work at all in England, particularly in lower league. And you'll struggle to find a striker with such a large skill set.

One option I'd very rarely choose in a 4-5-1 is poacher. Especially as most poachers seem to be weak. You'll do fine scoring goals against teams that play a high line or attack as counters and balls over the top will undo them, but anyone who sits back or defends deep will cause you problems.

If you're playing with 1 striker, he has to be the best player on your team, strong to hold the ball up, fast to get onto the through balls, and accurate in possession to stop wasting countering opportunities.

Advanced forward attack works quite well with a strong mobile forward. The advanced forward will look to run the channels between the fullbacks and centre backs and generally offer more options to your midfield. A good target man should also work quite well. I think you'll have problems using a poacher though as they will stay centrally near both CB's and will be dificult to pass to. As others have also pointed out the poacher will be isolated even when he does get the ball.

If it were me I would have two wingers who cut inside and a creative forward playing Deep Lying Forward to feed them in. But in your case I don't know really, although I have found it works better with a TM as they can hold up the ball to let other attackers advance. Admittedly I don't use 4-5-1 in the lower leagues due to the lesser quality and I usually use simple tactics like a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1/4-3-3. I find Poachers only really work with another striker up top supporting them!

Archived