Motivation for a new and final FM 2012 save!

This is the time of year when I usually start one last FM save to take me up to the new release, however I have hardly played this version and the thought of diving into it and sorting everything out, tactics and training mainly seems like such a massive task when just thinking about it! Does anyone have any tips about what you do to ease yourselves into a new save, or how to get a good motivation to start and carry on a career?

If you don't like starting again, don't give up.

Which is why I'm 30 odd seasons into my game, carrying on is a lot easier than starting again.

Yeah you think so? Starting is actually my favorite part of FM! Restructuring the staff, restructuring the squad to suit my favo tactics (or the other way around, depends on the funds of the club), restructuring training, setting long term goals for the club and therefore for myself, etcetera.

It's actually getting stuck in the same routine that bothers me, which happens to me already after about 4 or 5 seasons of the same save. I guess that's why I'm having difficulties with long term relationships, apart from playing this game obviously!

Depends on how many seasons you intend to play and how much involved you want to be.

for 2-3 seasons I would suggest to pick a top club.

You can simply use 2 default tactics if your squad is strong enough to compete for the title without to much worries.

Any tactic can work if you have good players, a home and away tactic should be enough to start with and once they are familiar with them you can add a 3rd tactic.

Don't try to buy to many players at once, that usually backfires short term.

Golden rule when signing players "Quality > quantity".

Also in a short term save you don't need to do anything about the training schedules.

When signing staff the game will give them a default task, again nothing needs to be done.

It might not be ideal but usually it's good enough, so you can jump right into the game and play matches.

Yeah you think so? Starting is actually my favorite part of FM! Restructuring the staff, restructuring the squad to suit my favo tactics (or the other way around, depends on the funds of the club), restructuring training, setting long term goals for the club and therefore for myself, etcetera.

It's actually getting stuck in the same routine that bothers me, which happens to me already after about 4 or 5 seasons of the same save. I guess that's why I'm having difficulties with long term relationships, apart from playing this game obviously!

Totally agree with this post!

Starting a new save, or switching to a new club, are the most interesting parts of a save. I get bored out of my skull after 4/5 years with the same club, knowing all the players inside out, etc. As for getting one of the top job offers, I get bored even quicker then.

This is the time of year when I usually start one last FM save to take me up to the new release, however I have hardly played this version and the thought of diving into it and sorting everything out, tactics and training mainly seems like such a massive task when just thinking about it! Does anyone have any tips about what you do to ease yourselves into a new save, or how to get a good motivation to start and carry on a career?

I'm the same, can't get motivated this time of year knowing all the stuff I have to wade through as the manager of a new team in a new save. Plus I know who to buy and who to avoid by now so thats another turn off.

So I've got into the habbit of playing my final save in a completely different way.

If you can't face the prospect of all the boring managerial things that come with a new save, try this...

Create a fantasy player (or even yourself) as an 18 year old 'promising' player with decent CA for the league he's in and -10 PA, and put yourself in a lower league team. Create a passive manager who remains unemployed (effectively you're just a scout who attends the matches you're picked to play in). Now go watch yourself play and see how you progress as a player. You're sort of playing FM, but not, if you know what I mean :). None of the hands on stuff associated with a normal game. The gameworld unfolds, but you're just an observer.

Once you reach the end of your career and retire, become the manager of the last club you played for, or the club you had the most afinity with as a player.

I've done this since FM09 as my final save while waiting for the new game to come out.

In my final FM12 save, my player started as an 18 y/o at Harrogate Town. He stayed there for 2 seasons and moved to York City on a free. Spent 2 seasons there and went to Carlisle United for 4 seasons for a fee of £75K (had a 6 month loan spell at Preston North End), joined Derby County (in L1) on a free and played there for 3 seasons. He's now approaching 30 y/o. Honours to date are a JPT winners medal, a winning goal at Wembley in the JPT final, a few player of the month awards, two promotions, and the second top scorer in L1 when he was 25. So nothing special. If I'd made his CA & PA higher at the start and given him more world rep he would have followed a similar path to my final FM10 save, which saw my player start in L1 and end up at Valencia with CL medals, La Liga medals, and England caps galore - plus a goal in the World Cup Final :D

Archived