The 4-3-3 Flat version

I'm currently trying out a flat 4-3-3.

It is working fairly well in preseason and I'm not too disappointed at how the play is, but have some issues that need tweaking.

Midfield: the MCL and MCR are BWM(S). The MC is AP(A). However, I usually spot them in a V-formation, with the MC sitting a bit deeper than the outside MCL/MCR. Any ideas why?

Attack: I'd like to get the outside forwards (STCL and STCR) to try and behave a bit more like wingers when they get the ball, but they seem to stay a bit too much inside. Any ideas how to fix this?

BWM/s is a very agressive and attacking role (possibly more so then AP/a), but it also have a bit to do with how the ME is programed, the central MC will probably always try to drop back a bit more then the other two regardless of the setings while making the occational burst forward if he is told to do so

BWM(S) being more aggressive than AP(A), yes. More offensive positioning on the pitch during the attacking phase? Strange. I'll have to dive into specific instructions then to see if that's the case.

For the record, I want them hunting for the ball a lot in the defensive phases, but in the attacking phases they are there primarily as easy outlets to recycle possession if needed and occasionally to burst forwards. I want the AP(A) to lead the midfield line during that phase. More classic 10-ish than a Pirlo-esque type player.

BWM(S) being more aggressive than AP(A), yes. More offensive positioning on the pitch during the attacking phase? Strange. I'll have to dive into specific instructions then to see if that's the case.

For the record, I want them hunting for the ball a lot in the defensive phases, but in the attacking phases they are there primarily as easy outlets to recycle possession if needed and occasionally to burst forwards. I want the AP(A) to lead the midfield line during that phase. More classic 10-ish than a Pirlo-esque type player.

Try using DLP's on support with an AP on support centrally.

Doing this the DLP's will do exactly what you want, aggressively hunt in your half, but sit back to recycle possession and just generally drive the team. I've run a flat 4-3-3 with wingbacks for a couple iterations of the game now and in FM12 this is what has worked best for me.

Additionally, if you have a player for it, running your central forward as either a trequartista or a deep laying forward is ideal as you get a solid advanced playmaker who will drop deeper for the ball. This is important because it gives your attacking line depth. The reason I suggest you run your central MF as AP(S) is so that you don't get too much overlap positioning wise with your central striker and your center MF. The two outside forwards, I will tend to run as advanced forwards (A) or poachers.

Finally, to fine tune your wide striker play you can tick the box for wide play and manually tell them to hug the touch line, or to cut inside depending on how you want them to play.

I have used a 4-4-2 with an advanced winger for many MANY seasons of FM, so when I choose to play with 3 CMs rather than 2 CMs + RM, or 2 CMs + DMc, it is very much a 4-3-3 in attack.

It works a treat, great link between midfield and attack, dominant in midfield, lots of space for fullbacks to maraud forward, just get your CMs roles complementing each other (easier said than done) and a quality winger, and you are set!

Great replies, thanks.

I'm currently trying 2 BWM(D) and AP(A). While using STC as a T / DLF is an interesting idea, I actually want to use my STC more as a central reference point up front and as the main goal threat. I'll use my STCL / STCR for more roaming-like roles.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Progress report for the interested (nobody?)

BWM(D) and AP(A) work pretty well, but BWM(D) and CM(A) are another candidate. CM(A) has forward runs set, so he shows up even more forward. It may be the better option of the two, I'm undecided. It may also depend a bit on my selection; my attacking midfielders vary between the more creative passers to the type that actually should go forwards to be a goal threat themselves.

I have noticed in the defending phase, the central midfielder will still hang back a bit more than the BWM(D). I can think of three reasons, so far unchecked:

- When defending, the central player of the three has, positionally speaking, a more central spot and therefore logically tends to step in a more "cover"-like role

- The BWM(D) close down more aggressively and therefore position themselves more aggressively on the pitch

- The outside central midfielders have natural opponents in their zone (usually, there are only 2 midfielders in the CM-spots) and tend to mark them. The more central one then assumes a "cover"-like duty for both his team mates.

Any other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lot of success on this game with a 4-3-3. I've found a DLP(D) as the centre of the 3 to be essential though. Both for the defensive cover they provide and being available for a pass when you're attacking players run down blind alleys. For the record I use a BWM(S), DLP(D) and an AP(S) behind a DLF(A), AF(A) and T(A) with 2 FB(A)'s both set to hug touchline to provide the width. Scored 125 league goals in last completed season and it's very much been the best combination I've found so far. Also found having an AP with the runs with ball through centre PPM to be particularly effective.

Archived