Offset Striker, does it work?

The two tactics im currently using both employ AML/R and one Striker. Usually I have winger IF and DLF/Target Man. Someone I want to drop deep and link up play.

Now ive seen a few tactics around here recently using an offset striker. My line of thinking is if i use an offset striker who drops deeper on the side of the Inside Forward it should open up a big gap, if the DC follows him, for my IF to exploit. Has anyone had any experience with this as In theory I think it is a pretty logical and good idea.

I alternate between a standard 4-1-2-2-1 and a 3-2-2-2-1 with 3 DC and WB's. The only thing that really changes between the two formations is the defensive line. High tempo high closing down and fluid.

If he favours a side (allbeit a small favour) then you actually make him easier to mark as the 1 centreback can deal with him. When he's central sometimes it can draw both defender out when he drops deeper. If he drops into the space your IF is currently occupying or will be using then you are actually giving him less space than he would have. As the striker and his marker would all be in a simliar place to your IF. It also means the marker might mark the IF and leave the striker as you are taking the defender a lot closer to the IF to start with.

I like offset strikers but they work better with players running from deep through the centre imo.

It's what i'm playing right now though i didn't though of putting the striker on a particular side, i have a target man on support(supply to feet) with a winger and an inside forward getting to exploit the space he creates from dropping deeper, it works a lot better with a target man than a DLF though i'm not quite sure why probably because of the TTB setting, i also have a center midfielder on attack that sometimes will take advantage of that space too since he runs from deep often.

Just one thing that i never understand, why do people call the 451 or 433 a 4-1-2-2-1? Is it an English thing?

If he favours a side (allbeit a small favour) then you actually make him easier to mark as the 1 centreback can deal with him. When he's central sometimes it can draw both defender out when he drops deeper. If he drops into the space your IF is currently occupying or will be using then you are actually giving him less space than he would have. As the striker and his marker would all be in a simliar place to your IF. It also means the marker might mark the IF and leave the striker as you are taking the defender a lot closer to the IF to start with.

I like offset strikers but they work better with players running from deep through the centre imo.

So it would probably work beter if I set my Striker say offset on the right, then my MCL as an AP with runs from deep on oftern?That way he would get forward, maybe leaving the one DC against the onsurshing MC and the AML/R. You think that be a better option?

Yeah 4-1-2-2-1 is not a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 as Cleon said its somewhere in the mddle of both

Give me an example of an IRL team whose formation can't be qualified as 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 but rather 4-1-2-2-1?

Barca? Swansea? Its not 4-3-3 as there are not four strikers but its not 4-5-1 as there arnt 5 midfielders. Its a hybrid of them both, in the middle.

A lone striker playing in a STCL or STCR position will push him out wider than you would actually want. I prefer my STC to be central and moves into channel, that still creates enough space for my AML/R to cuts inside and link up play. Maybe i can put up a few screenshots when i am free.

Give me an example of an IRL team whose formation can't be qualified as 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 but rather 4-1-2-2-1?

We are discussing a game here not real life.

A lone striker playing in a STCL or STCR position will push him out wider than you would actually want. I prefer my STC to be central and moves into channel, that still creates enough space for my AML/R to cuts inside and link up play. Maybe i can put up a few screenshots when i am free.

This is very valid.

Using an offset striker means he only ever really moves into 1 channel, the side he favours in the off set position. Which isn't ideal if your striker is supposed to create space for other players to exploit. Unless you use a poacher of some kind then it wont make much difference.

Well in FM terms 3 central strikers works just like 1AMC-2FC similar to flat midfield three is very much like 1DMC-2MC. The FCC or MCC will naturally drop deeper.

They play different, but whatever :thup:. Not quite sure what point you're trying to make with the post. It's nothing to do with the topic and the post isolated on its own makes no sense.

[video=youtube;A2msz_2jegU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2msz_2jegU

I made a short video focusing on lone forward moving into channels, which confuses the backline of the opposition.

I made a short video focusing on lone forward moving into channels, which confuses the backline of the opposition.

What editing software did you use to add the caption at beginning?

When a player is allowed to move into both channels you can take the whole back 4 out with 1 intelligent pass if he draws them out, like he has done in many of those clips. Especially if you have late runners into the box like you did :)

What did you go with in the end Jimbob?

I always wanna put Jimbo :D

Put Jimbo its good ;) I get JImbob Jimmy Jimbo so yeah im good. Not had chance to try anything yet, was playing a Network game last night. WIll trial things tonight and post on here with anything I find.

Ive watched the first goal but am at work so cant really watch it all. Ill have a look on my lunch and let you know what I think :) Is that a central striker with move into channels?

What editing software did you use to add the caption at beginning?

When a player is allowed to move into both channels you can take the whole back 4 out with 1 intelligent pass if he draws them out, like he has done in many of those clips. Especially if you have late runners into the box like you did :)

Just the Windows Live Movie Maker that comes with the OS.

So who is the actual striker haha? Cannot work out who is actually playing up top. Could you post a screenshot of his instructions, he seems to be a class link up striker, which is what I could do with. Someone who makes the space and links the play. I think ive got the player for it just cant seem to get the instruction right.

So who is the actual striker haha? Cannot work out who is actually playing up top. Could you post a screenshot of his instructions, he seems to be a class link up striker, which is what I could do with. Someone who makes the space and links the play. I think ive got the player for it just cant seem to get the instruction right.

In the video, it is either Muniain or Sanchez. I think your trying to get a DLF or Treq but mine is setup as a poacher, but if you want the screenshot, here it is.

fm2012033002585898.jpg

I tried this offset striker thing the other night and by 20minutes in had made him more central again. Was just not getting in the right positions, I think it would work better with a proper onrushing midfielder, like Lampard for Chelsea. But as this sometthing that I dont really have in my tactic didnt really work well.

@David_Beckham_7 Ill try that setup, One of my young striker plays better in the poacher role so will try that setup :)

Archived