Stories Of A Mediocre Manager

Burgess Basso

Hey members of Career Updates Forum, I was a “poster” in the FM Stories Forum but I’m not the most patient guy around when it comes to writing. I’m more of the type who just likes to put the basics. I’m not the one to muck around with tactics and go for the best players around, I like to play FM my way and that’s the way it’s going to stay I’ve decided to do this as the forum is best matched to my sort of writing, I’m a new writer in this forum so any advice/tips/constructive criticism would be well appreciated, thanks :)

I play Football Manager 2008 on a pretty run of the mill computer. It’s the original version with no updates etc. I am going to run-

-England (Blue Square N/S)

-Scotland (Division 3)

I’m not the best at uploading pictures and stuff so most of it will be writing and I will post screenshots (hopefully eventually) and when needed. I start in the 2007 season (wow that seems ages ago!). My status is the lowest you can get, I’m not expecting amazing results and cup wins and no really long term goals for the minute, but pure mediocrity!

I’m currently on holiday until a job pops up and I shall write from there with match updates and table positions and if anybody else wants to know information I will do my best to find it.

Here it goes..

On the 25th Of February I was confirmed the new manager of Cambirdge City Football Club they play in the Blue Square South and they are positioned 15th with NO transfer budget and a little wage budget of 3.8k p/w. The finances are looking pretty tight so hopefully I can make the club a bit of money. The facilities are what you expect from a run of the mill Conference side really, nothing special but they’ll do.

The team isn’t in bad shape and I will look to bring in some players of my own in the coming weeks most likely loans and free transfers. My goal for the rest of the season is simple- Stay up.

I will most likely just be using the standard 4-4-2 formation with no niggly in depth stuff (player runs, mentality etc.) I don’t know much about the squad at the moment but if any players catch my eye I shall let everyone know!! Also with signings/exits etc.

*On a side note I have already asked the board for a new parent club (our current one is Cambridge United who are only 1 league above us, I hope we can get a new better ranked club for the chance for player loans and a bank injection)

Deisler26 & Tricky-Jigsaw- Thank you very much, my first time posting here so hope it all goes well :)

3/3/2008

Cambridge City (15th) 4-1 Bognor Regis (1st)

I was not expecting this one bit. We dominated the leaders in a consistent display all around the pitch. Leading scorer Lee Roache scored a hat trick and strike partner Michael Gash scored shortly after the break, it could’ve been 5 but our substitute Cotterill was chalked offside. The leaders finished with 10 men as we got of to a great start.

*We are now 11 points clear of the relegation zone :)

8/3/2008

Cambridge City (15th) 2-0 Eastbourne Borough (17th)

A belter and a tap in from our captain Steve Wales gave us a deserved win over fellow mid table side Eastbourne as we move up a place to 14th level on points with Bath City.

*We are now 13 points clear or relegation :)

*Unfortunately the board was unable to find a “suitable” partnership for a parent club so it looks like I’m stuck with our near neighbours as a parent club.

15/3/2008

Hampton & Richmond Borough (12th) 0-0 Cambridge City (14th)

It was a poor game in general, chances were created but finishing was awful, our keeper should’ve got motm. We also hit the crossbar late in the second half, still unbeaten so I can’t complain too much!

*We stay 14th with 49 points and 35 games played out of 42., hopefully we can just see it out until the end of the season. I don’t see too much to worry about quite yet.

22/3/2008

Cambridge City (14th) 1-1 Welling United (2nd)

A credible draw against a Welling side doing well in second place. We fell behind 10 minutes before half time with sloppy defending. But winger Ashley Fuller found himself space in the box and made the game all square minutes before half time. Welling ended the game with 10 men after a late tackle on Roache.

* We drop down 2 places to 16th after this result, but we’re 12 points clear from the drop zone with 6 games left to play.

deltablue, don't partonise me sir!! I am considered an adult now that I am 18 :p

iHeadHunta x - I knwo it's not bad i'm pretty pleased with it all!!

24/3/2008

Havant & WaterlooVille (18th) 2-1 Cambridge City (16th)

A 92nd winner ended our unbeaten streak as we lost an important game, we fell behind just before the half hour mark before our midfielder Josh Simpson headed past the keeper in a crowded box, disaster struck in the 92nd minute as a goal mouth scramble in which saw the ball trickle over the line for an undeserved win.

*We stay 16th and 12 points clear of the relegation zone with 5 games left to play.

29/3/2008

Cambridge City (16th) 3-1 Fisher Athletic (21st)

A great win against struggling Fisher ensured our survival, we got of a great start with midfielder Paul Jackson tapping in from close range, a freak goal gave Jackson his second of the afternoon before Stuart Wall gave us our third from the spot midway in the second half. Fisher grabbed one back from the spot after one of our defenders handled in the box.

*Great to think we have survived and I can perhaps experiment a bit and push on for the last 4 games, we move up to 14th,

April 2008

5/4/2008

Hayes & Yeading United (11th) 2-2 Cambridge City (14th)

We gave a battling performance as we played most of the second half with 10 men. Steve Wales & Lee Roache were the scorers for us as we came from 1-0 down to got 2-1 up only for Hayes to equalise just before the break.

*We sit 15th with 54 points (only 6 points of the play offs!) Never seen a league this tight. Very unlikely we’ll make the play offs with 3 games left & results around us etc. But we’ll try and end the season on a high.

*Maidenhead were relegated after losing to Dorchester

*Shortly after the game we finalised the signing of former Burton midfielder Andy Ducros

7/4/2008

We sign Moroccan midfielder Abdou Eh Kholti from Rushden & Diamonds on a free transfer.

8/4/2008

We continue our purchases with a new goalkeeper, veteran Carl Muggleton (39) signs in from Mansfield on a free transfer.

21/4/2008

Cambridge City (15th) 2-2 Bromley (7th)

We came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with play off hopefuls Bromley. Carl Muggleton was very unlucky with the goals as it was terrible defending something I must sort out. Michael Gash & Lee Roache scored the 2 goals which bought the game level and we almost snatched a winner. Bromley ended with 10 men after a late tackle from their centre midfielder.

*Both guys had a great debut and Ducros did well when he was bought on, our points tally is now 55.

HotChocolate- Thanks for the comment :)

26/4/2008

Bath City (6th) 1-0 Cambridge City (15th)

A questionable goal gave the play off chasers a undeserved win, their striker Knowles was offside when the ball was played, I will probably say something about the decision.

*We drop down a position to 16th, the F.A were unsurprisingly silent about my public dismay about the decision.

3/ 5 / 2006

Lewes (14th) 1-2 Cambridge City (16th)

We finished the season with a deserved win at fellow mid table side Lewes. We took the lead when winger Richard Jones went behind the defence and headed past the keeper shortly after half time. Jay Conroy then scored an own goal for the home side which put us 2-0 up. The hosts ended with 10 men after a midfielder tugged on Cotterills shirt. Lewes got a consolation right at the death but it was too late for them to salvage anything,

*We finish the season in 15th with 58 points

deltablue- And me it's been a decent start in my opinion :)

HotChocolate- I stick to my word :p

End of season review

As I came in only a handful of games before the end of the season it’d be unfair to judge, we had a couple of good results coupled with some not so good ones. We seem to be scoring regularly which is a positive, however we only kept 1 clean sheet which is poor, I shall be looking to stabilise the finances and hopefully bring in some new players while trying to keep the main core of the squad. Just read up that Lee Roache scored an impressive 22 goals in all competitions, will face an uphill battle to keep him but all in all… Hopefully another season of.. Mediocrity.

8/5/2008

My scout highly recommended Will Thacker (19) who plays right back, he was only just released from Notts County. Will should hopefully help bring stability to a defence with low confidence.

9/5/2008

Fans questioned my signing of veteran striker Rod Wallace (38) on a free transfer. Wallace will bring much needed experience to a young squad and can hopefully help me in my attacking options for next season.

Blue Square South Winners/Losers

Promotion- Sutton United (Champions) Dorchester Town (Play off winners)

Relegation- Maidenhead United (22nd) Fisher Athletic (21st) Weston Super Mare (20th)

16/6/2008

Possibly our best signing yet [bAndrew Brown[/b] will sign from Nuneaton Borough after his contract expires. Brown was their leading scorer with 10 goals.

Season 2008/2009- Cambridge City Blue Square North Now!

I have aimed for mid table again after a decent end to the season, I don’t think we’re in danger of going down but no where near the standard to get promoted. Hopefully the new players will jell and I’ve had not offers for Roache yet! We have been moved to the Blue Square North so we now have a host of new teams to play. As I have done I will post what I think is important news. The media think we will finish 17th which I personally think is a bit low for us so lets prove them wrong and get this show on the road!(Oh and I don’t do friendly’s!)

• 7 months later...

Archived