The SI Sports Centre - All You Need To Know About FM

The Jigsaw – Movement, Goals and Assists

Building a successful tactic in FM is like putting together a Jigsaw; you need all the pieces to fit to see the overall picture. Player roles and duties are vital to how the shape of the system you use will play out during a game. Over the last few years I’ve seen people post and claim they are struggling with the game but when I’ve looked closer at their settings and system they use one things stick out like a sore thumb and that would be when they attack.

A lot of issues are people don’t really understand the relationships between the roles you choose and don’t work towards getting the best out of a player. For example, if you wanted to use a poacher then you need to ensure he gets the kind of balls he’ll thrive on. That means that you need someone in the team who is capable of pulling off the types of passes which will allow the poacher to play on the shoulder of the last defender. But I’m not seeing this often. A few tactics I’ve taken a look at seem to think you can have a poacher in the team and he’ll just score goals for fun. It doesn’t work like that though in reality as you need players who can firstly find the poacher and then secondly you need to create space.

This is same for all roles and not only a poacher.

So what I’m going to do is talk about one of my saved games and I’ll show you how the players link up together and how each player has a job to do discuss how this plays out in the structure I’ve chosen.

First I should give you a little bit of background to understand why I chose the team I did. In the SI Sports Centre thread I was managing Swansea but at the end of the season I noticed Newcastle has been relegated. So I decided to create a spin off game and resign as Swansea boss and take over Newcastle. I was able to keep the majority of the squad together quite surprisingly considering all the transfer requests the players had put in and all the bids I was receiving.

I managed to walk the Championship with real ease which was expected but the 2nd season in the Premiership was the same too. I managed to win that at the first attempt playing the same way I did in the Championship.

This is the set up I use;

1.png

I want to focus on the front four to begin with so we can understand the job of each one and see why I was so successful.

As you can see the front four consists of a poacher, advanced playmaker, winger and an inside forward. I like this set up due to the variations in attack. It also has the potential to create lots of space with players dropping off and running inside. So shall we take a look at how all this fits together?

I guess the best place to start would be with the poacher. So here goes;

In the two seasons I’ve been in charge of Newcastle my poacher has been Papiss Cisse and he has managed to score 57 goals in 56 appearances the first season and 52 goals in 54 appearances in the second season. That’s a really good return and there is no doubt that he is the focal point of the side. But that doesn’t mean I only rely on him. The other three are the creators and providers and Cisse is the finisher who produces the end product. But most of the work is already done all he has to do is put the ball into the net (which isn’t as easy as it sounds at times).

Let’s take a look at Cisse in a game in Europe where he didn’t do much but what he did was effective and won the game.

cisse passes.png

Nine passes are all he made in this game but each one was completed and vital to how the team played. When we win possession back it’s not that unfamiliar for my fullbacks to launch direct balls into the channels where the attacking midfielders will pick up. Then Cisse will drift into the channels to pick the ball up then run at pace down the flanks.

The next screenshot highlights this;

Cisse drifting.png

My left back wins the ball back and passes up field to my attacking left midfielder who hits it first time to my central attacking midfielder. Who then drives forward while Cisse times his run and then unleashes Cisse.

Cisse timed.png

When Cisse receives the ball he then drives forward down the flank and moves more central into the opposition’s box. Unfortunately nothing came of this move but it highlights the threat that he poses from a wide position and cutting inside.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I won't be updating this any longer I thought it be best to open the thread up now, especially as it's no longer a stickied thread. I am working on something for FM13 but it's still not done yet but will be along the same lines as this thread.

I hope you all enjoyed it and thanks for all the nice comments and feedback that I recieved :)

Cleon is the FM13 version of this thread the one where your doing a Spurs save? I have to confess and say I have relied on users like Mr Hough etc to "lay it on a plate" for me so to speak. However I really want to learn how to play this game properly and am looking for any helpful threads such as these in the hope that I can fully understand the Tactic creator, shouts etc.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Cleon I was wondering, in your Santos tactic why the DLP is on (d) and your BWM and DM are on (s), shouldn't the DLP be on (s) and one of the other on (d) nevertheless the tactic is working very well for my Flamengo side :)

I did pull the Anchor man back as DC tho for more safety ;)

@ Cleon I was wondering, in your Santos tactic why the DLP is on (d) and your BWM and DM are on (s), shouldn't the DLP be on (s) and one of the other on (d) nevertheless the tactic is working very well for my Flamengo side :)

I did pull the Anchor man back as DC tho for more safety ;)

The BWM has higher closing down so even if on defend he still pushes higher than the DLP. The BWM runs around like a headless chicken :) So it made sense to have the DLP on defend as I had a lot of creative players who are good at defending.

So it made sense to have the DLP on defend as I had a lot of creative players who are good at defending.

hehe we don't have that luxury at Flamengo but the players I'm using there works :) I'm a bit surprised the tactic works without shouts, but that might change when we face stronger opponents, all tho I have played against some of the better sides and still was able to win convincingly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived