Tale of the Swans

JonnyCurrie

Tale of the Swans

Opening statement:

Another football manager, another attempt to achieve what I've always wanted: win the European Cup with a Northern Irish club. I've made three attempts so far and I'm not going to blame anything else other than boredom for the reason I stopped short of completing the challenge. That challenge of course is in line with Gundo's European Adventure Challenge, running again this year. These are my efforts (albeit, poor) so far:

Attempt One [FM10]

Attempt Two [FM10]

Attempt Three [FM11]

And so with FM12, I've seen another opportunity for delight, frustration, misery and a general build of apathy towards the beautiful game. I can't wait. ;)

So anyway..

394697.gif

It begins..

Hmm, I seem to remember this lot and incredibly, I haven't continually been reloading the FM in an attempt to get a club I like the sound of. Newington are literally the first club that popped up as the promoted side to the 2nd division after holidaying. Awesome. I feel at home already.

For those of you who can't be bothered (I certainly wouldn't be) to check my first attempt with Newington in FM10, here's a run-down of the club:

Newington Youth Club Football Club (also known as Newington Youth Club, Newington Y.C. or simply Newington) is a Northern Irish football club originating in the Newington area of Belfast, although playing its home matches in recent years at Muckamore, Antrim, and playing in the Premier Division of the Northern Amateur Football League. In 2008, the club became involved in a partnership with IFA Premiership club Crusaders, with a view to securing funding for a new, shared ground in north Belfast. As part of the arrangement, Newington used Crusaders’ current ground Seaview for home matches in 2008/09, marking a return to home matches in the club’s native north Belfast. The club will use Brantwood's Skegoneill Avenue ground for 2009/10.

History

The club was formed in north Belfast as Jubilee Olympic Football Club in 1979 and joined the Dunmurry League in 1980. The club changed its name to Newington Youth Club in 1986, won its first trophy – the Breen Cup – in 1987, became the dominant team in the Dunmurry League for the next few seasons, and in 1990/91 became the first Dunmurry League team to win the County Antrim Junior Shield.

The club joined the Northern Amateur League in 1994, entering in Division 2C, and winning five trophies, including the 2C championship in their first season. Next season saw them win Division 2B to gain promotion to the top junior division of the Amateur League.

The greatest achievement to date came on 1 May 1997 when the club won the Irish Junior Cup – the biggest prize in junior football – defeating Fermanagh team Lisbellaw United in the final.

A Division 2A title followed and soon the club was elevated to intermediate status, gaining a place in Division 1B in 2000, which it won in its first season, followed by the Division 1A title in 2001/02. Newington’s facilities at its Antrim ground, Muckamore Park, however, did not meet the required standards to gain promotion to the Amateur League Premier Division.

In 2004/05, Newington reached the quarter-finals of the Steel & Sons Cup, which qualified them for their first senior competition: the County Antrim Shield; and their first match against senior opposition: a 0-2 defeat at Lisburn Distillery. At the end of the season, the club finished runners-up in Division 1A, but recent improvements to Muckamore Park meant that this time promotion to the Premier Division was achieved.

In 2005/06, only eleven years after joining the League in its lowest division, Newington won the Amateur League title and the Border Cup at the first time of asking. This season also saw the club reach the quarter-finals of the Irish Cup, where they lost out to Larne. In 2007/08, the club reached the semi-finals of the Irish Intermediate Cup, and in 2008/09 won the Amateur League title for the second time.

Their website, www.newingtonfc.com, isn't usable at this stage. What I like to see! No or little history, no expectations, all for me to do.

JonathanCurrieNews_Inbox-2.png

JonathanCurrieNews_Inbox-3.png

The expectation for the 2012/13 season is that we avoid relegation. I think that's pretty do-able. I'll most likely just to stick to seasonal updates in here and maybe the odd extra bit.

Just to confirm, the game is loaded with N.Ireland the only playable nation, a large database and all players from N.Ireland are loaded.

Good luck to anyone else who is taking part in the Gundo challenge!

Played six competitive games now in my initial season and I've loving the new FM I have to say.

Here's some brief updates:

Club Info

Facilities

History

Staff

Transfers

Finances

My first team squad after the window had closed is pretty much what I expected it to look like: a few reasonably good players (for this division) surrounded by a majority of terrible but hard-working lads.

Eventually I decided, given what we're trying to achieve this season, we should make ourselves hard to beat overall. So for our formation, I settled on a rigid 4-1-4-1:

NewingtonYCTactics_Overview.png

So far we haven't tasted defeat that often, nor are we shipping goals regularly and I feel confident about staying clear of relegation.

NewingtonYCFixtures_Fixtures.png

The table after 3 games looks pretty satisfactory for now.

New team meeting feature definitely isn't easy to judge with my limited experience of it.

We've been doing well since the season began and sit 4th in the table. So considering we're relegation candidates, I called a team meeting and 'calmly' told the squad, I was happy with the performances and we will stay clear of relegation if we continue this way. 3 players liked it, 5 players didn't. Not sure why this would be...

Apparently they think they can do better, which is fine but with them all sitting with very good/superb morale, I thought they'd be less difficult to deal with.

Appreciate it B.W.G, I hope so too.

Team meeting: There was but he wasn't motivated or anything from my initial statement so I assumed he wasn't up for addressing the squad himself. Maybe that isn't a factor in whether it's worth asking him to, but I'm still experimenting with these new features.

Started well so far. Loving the cautious tactical approach too, crowding the midfield makes you hard to beat :thup:

Coincidently I'm shifting us to a 4-4-2 at present as I've realised we really don't have a natural defensive midfielder to sit in there.

Of course the first match I tried the 4-4-2, we dominated the match and only lost by a fluke effort in the 90th minutes. Cue the media screaming, "TACTICAL BLUNDER!"

I hate that, on the demo I'd been switching between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 pretty consistently throughout games and had a little unbeaten run. Then I started a game with 4-4-1-1 and lost, and suddenly it was a tactical blunder!

394697.gif

Tale of the Swans - Season 2012/13 recap

The first season at the helm. Anything beyond relegation avoidance is a bonus.

League Prediction: 13th

I set out to make the team hard to beat. The primary goal was to avoid relegation and after a good pre-season, I felt we could definitely do this. We had some very promising results to begin with, although we began with a 1-0 home defeat. The performances, aside from one or two, all season impressed me. These lads are pretty limited (to say the least) and I was amazed at times at how effective they could be. We kept plugging on, picking up points and eventually found ourselves not only safe from relegation but challenging for a promotion spot by the mid-way point. Around March (I think?) I had my first experience with the youth selection and quite a few of them look like they could be useful in the future but one in particular was already a star for this league, at the brave age of 15. Introducing, Stephen Wells, who would have a solid part to play in our run-in, which not only saw us promoted but promoted as champions.

Final position: 1st

League Table

League Positions Graph

Other competitions

Irish Cup - Disappointing to go out to a non-league side and in such a bad manner.

Steel and Sons Cup - Went out of the competition when we were expected to.

Intermediate Cup - A good run which saw us put out at the quarter final stage by higher opposition.

Key players

Stephen Wells - An outstanding impression for a 15 year old in a short amount of games.

Tadej Simeunovic - A young left wing back picked up early in pre-season. Should be solid for another couple of seasons yet.

Michael Fitzpatrick - I like my centre backs to pick up a few goals as well as keeping them out at our end and Michael was a big factor in our unbeaten runs throughout the season.

The club

First Team Squad

Transfers

Staff

Club Info

Facilities

Finances

History

The manager

My profile

My personal screen

Next season

Not really sure what to expect. I figure I will be doing more recruiting pre-season but at this stage, as always, I feel the need to make survival the primary objective.

Career history

Season		League			Club		Final position		Achievements

2012/13		Second Division		Newington	1st			Promotion

Wow!!You've made a brilliant start,hope your able to keep it up :)

Same. I'm half expecting things to pear-shaped all of a sudden but thankfully so far, we seem pretty solid.

The young lad (turned 16) Stephen Wells has 16 for pace, so he's pretty lethal against these sorts of defenders.

Saw this guy a few weeks back and eventually he's got a work permit to allow him to join the side. He's old as hell but I'm looking to match young Well's pace with a bit of experience and better finishing. 10k fee to bring him in. Hopefully it pays off and secures promotion given our good start already.

Good luck mate, I've started a journeyman career and have been playing with Annagh United for half a season, also had Scott McCordick and he was incredible for me scoring atleast a goal a game until someone signed him on a free because he was only on a non-contract which was really annoying as I couldnt offer him another contract because I was well over the tight £300 p/w budget lol.

This Northern Ireland malarkey is a bit easy, isn't it?! ;)

At this stage, apparently so.

Seriously, good job so far. You'll do well to keep hold of Wells though, he surely destined to go on to bigger and better things.

Cheers. Yeah I think he may do. Still a bit shocked he came through in the first place though. Random isn't even a strong enough term for it.

Good luck mate, I've started a journeyman career and have been playing with Annagh United for half a season, also had Scott McCordick and he was incredible for me scoring atleast a goal a game until someone signed him on a free because he was only on a non-contract which was really annoying as I couldnt offer him another contract because I was well over the tight £300 p/w budget lol.

Yeah for some reason Portadown (top repped club in NI at the minute) are interested in McCordick. It's fine that they're interested in him, don't get me wrong but why they're after him and not my 16 year old Wells is a bit strange.

Football, football, football.

Getting put out of two competitions in two matches consecutively (against teams we should be beating) is bad enough..

Steel and Sons Cup Semi-Final exit

Intermediate Cup 2nd Round exit

But for those to come after we beat the biggest club in Northern Ireland in the Country Antrim Shield Final?!

Yes, football you brilliant, yet wonderfully sour-tasting sport.

394697.gif

Tale of the Swans - Season 2013/14 recap

Took me a while to finish this season off but it's worth reporting on regardless..

League Prediction: 13th

I'll be honest, it took such a long time to finish this off I forget all the ins and outs of it but I'll make a go of it. I think we never really left top spot in the league once we got there and pretty much dominated for the majority of the season. It was accompanied by pretty solid efforts in the other competitions and now with promotion to the Premier Division, we can start building that statue outside the stadium of yours truly.

Final position: 1st

League Table

League Positions Graph

Other competitions

Irish Cup - Got put out by our parent club. Think that's part of the agreement isn't it?

Steel and Sons Cup - A nice run until we met Carrick in the semi-final. A bad day in terms of goals conceded and out we went.

Intermediate Cup - Never really paid attention to this.

For some reason in my fixtures list, I can't filter in the Co.Antrim Shield, nor the League Cup. But whatever, we won the Shield with a win good win over NI giants Linfield and beat another Premier Division side in the League Cup final.

Key players

Stephen Wells - Our out and out goalscorer. Bagged this.

Dario - Pretty solid purchase in the January window. I wanted someone to act as the creative forward alongside Wells and he did the job superbly.

Matjaz Cander - Either played in the 'hole' as an attacking midfielder or in a three man midfield. He was a creative force and scored a few goals too.

The club

First Team Squad

Transfers

Staff

Club Info

Facilities

Finances

Affiliates

History

The manager

My profile

My personal screen

My biography

My history

Next season

Premier Division? Should be **** easy, right?

Career history

Season        League            Club        Final position        Achievements

2012/13       Second Division   Newington   1st                   Promotion
2013/14       First Division    Newington   1st                   Promotion, Shield Winners, League Cup Winners

Archived