[FM10] New days for Newington [Gundo's European Adventure Challenge]

JonnyCurrie

394697.gif

After completing the Dafuge Challenge this year with Dartford I found myself uninspired and in look for another challenge. In particular a challenge that would allow me to really bond (albeit superficially ;)) with the club I was managing. I came across the story of NepentheZ's Knockbreda and the incredible man known as Andrew Smylie. I was hooked with the idea of taking a team local to me to the same kind of success, if it was possible.

So I loaded up the Northern Irish leagues, holidayed and eventually I ended up at Newington, a club based in North Belfast (known as the 'Swans' or the 'Ton'.) They have no history worth mentioning in this country as expected and very limited facilities, aswell as funds. This isn't going to be easy but I'm sure it will be fun as hell trying to win the Champions League with this tiny football club.

Currently I am in the 2020/21 season and here are the season updates so far:

Key: C2 (Championship 2), C1 (Championship 1) and CP (Carling Premiership.)

Season 1 (2010/11) - C2 - 2nd [Promoted]

Season 2 (2011/12) - C1 - 11th

Season 3 (2012/13) - C1 - 5th

Season 4 (2013/14) - C1 - 1st [Promoted]

Season 5 (2014/15) - CP - 3rd

Season 6 (2015/16) - CP - 7th

Season 7 (2016/17) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 8 (2017/18) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 9 (2018/19) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 10 (2019/20) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 11 (2020/21) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 12 (2021/22) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 13 (2022/23) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 14 (2023/24) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Season 15 (2024/25) - CP - 1st [Champions]

Club Honors:

Carling Premiership: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025

JJB Irish Cup: 2020, 2024

Co-operative Cup: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2024, 2025

Paddy Power County Antrim Shield: 2017, 2021, 2024, 2025

Ladbrokes.com Championship 1: 2014

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game has been run on Football Manager 10.3 with no use of editor.

394697.gif

Newington Y.C. - Carling Premiership - 2020/21

We need to start building this club up (facilities, stadium etc) and maintain our dominance at home whilst trying to break new ground in Europe.

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

League Table

League Positions

It was a satisfactory season and nothing more really. We dominated the league but should have ended the season unbeaten in my view and didn't score enough goals considering the quality of our strikers compared to the average defence in the league.

Cups

County Antrim Shield: For the first in a few seasons we managed to win this tournament. The final was a breeze.

Co-operative Cup: Number five.

JJB Irish Cup: Unbelievable. I have no idea how we lost this and how we yet again went out of this tournament so early.

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: The journey was bit more difficult than last year but we made to the final and dispatched Linfield accordingly.

UEFA Champions League: We got a bad draw against Cluj (who have money and decent players) and ended up going out of the competition in heartbreakingly late fashion.

UEFA Europa League: We got drawn in a group against Fiorentina, eventual winners Chelsea and Frankfurt. We did fine in all the matches and did manage to pick up back to back wins against Frankfurt both home and away.

The Squad

Squad: The squad needs improving for Europe, if not as well for the home front (going after every trophy.)

My Player of the Year: Scored goals and had a good amount of assists aswell. Will probably be moving on though.

Fans Player of the Year: A decent player and could possibly be at a good club in the future. Probably moving on soon as well.

Carling Premiership Player of the Year: Well the fans called it right after all.

Carling Premiership Young Player of the Year: A brilliant young striker. Unfortunately one that will move on this summer.

Club Information

Transfers

Finances

European Coefficients

Club Info Page

Facilities

Staff

Affiliates: Had this announced - not sure whether to cancel it or not.

Next Season

I will be doing a lot of wheeling and dealing this summer with some of the better players moving on for cash. I will try to start bringing good youngsters and I will also be (for the first time) taking control of the reserves and the Under 18's so I can have a good look at what the Newington youth policy can offer.

Obviously the same goals apply for what I wish to achieve next season. Everything at home with more progress in Europe.

In other news, my fears last season are now confirmed. My board are indeed complete morons and just like last season, they obviously know quite well what will bring more money into the club. :rolleyes:

[b][u]Season[/u]          [u]League[/u]                           [u]Position[/u]       [u]Achievements[/u][/b]

2010/11         Ladbrokes.com Championship Two   2nd            League Runner Up - Promoted
2011/12         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   11th           Avoided relegation
2012/13         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   5th            Avoided relegation
2013/14         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   1st            League Winners - Promotion
2014/15         Carling Premiership              3rd            County Antrim Shield finalists, qualified for UEFA Europa League
2015/16         Carling Premiership              7th            Avoided relegation
2016/17         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners - CL qualification, Shield winners, Co-op Cup winners
2017/18         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2018/19         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2019/20         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Irish Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2020/21         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners, Shield Winners

• 2 weeks later...

Newington Y.C. - Carling Premiership - 2021/22

The goals once again remain the same: Win everything at home and try to break new ground in Europe.

Let's see!

League Table

League Positions

I was slightly disappointed by our performance in the league this season. I can't complain too much as to their credit, the players did do the job in the end. However with the players at our disposal, we shouldn't be losing any games, nevermind five.

That said, I didn't help matters by bringing in far too many players over the season and tweaking the tactics too much than I normally allow myself to.

Cups

County Antrim Shield: Got knocked out early.

Co-operative Cup: Beating Linfield made it six on the bounce for Newington.

JJB Irish Cup: Good God! I've still only managed to win this cup once and I'm starting to think Newington have a curse against them after Glentoran came away with victory after this match. :mad:

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: Another amazing run, ending with our fifth All-Ireland trophy on the bounce with a sweet victory over Linfield.

UEFA Champions League: We managed to reach the group stage after last season's last minute heartbreak in the last qualifier. We didn't really do ourselves justice in the group and on one occassion especially we got destroyed. However, the main goal as always is simply to get to this stage and pick up the nice cheque for £6million. A win over Ajax at home left us with something positive.

Reserves

Squad

League Table - Winners

Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round

Steel Cup - Winners

Under 18's

Squad

League Table - 5th

U-18 Cup - 1st Round

The Squad

First Team: We lost a good number of our best players last summer but now I've brought in quite a big number of young players and I am happy to let them develop.

Star Players

Stuart Dallas: One of the few legends of Newington. Our captain for years now and will probably go on for another five years yet. It's a credit to him that he's still around after all the changes that have taken place.

Rogier Seedorf: Our best forward and whilst not always putting them away, he had a good season.

Ian Elliot: A good right winger who can deliver good assists all season long.

Craig Hancock: A real drive from midfield and can pop up with a goal or two when he feels like it.

Paul Kerr: Probably the best signing I've made so far with Newington, an great player for his age.

Craig Boyle: A good new striker that got a decent return in assists this season.

Awards

Fans Player of the Year: Not bad for a 32 year old left back.

Carling Premiership Player of the Year: A superb player and well deserved.

Carling Premiership Young Player of the Year: Probably could have won both awards but I'm happy he got some recognition.

Club Information

Transfers

Finances

European Coefficients

Club Info Page

Facilities

Staff

Affiliates

Next Season

Finally! We have a new stadium being built! And for me personally, it's the first one that's ever been named after myself. :D

The facilities getting upgraded seems to be an annual thing I guess.

Next season?! Do better in the group stage and clean up every trophy available at home.

[b][u]Season[/u]          [u]League[/u]                           [u]Position[/u]       [u]Achievements[/u][/b]

2010/11         Ladbrokes.com Championship Two   2nd            League Runner Up - Promoted
2011/12         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   11th           Avoided relegation
2012/13         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   5th            Avoided relegation
2013/14         Ladbrokes.com Championship One   1st            League Winners - Promotion
2014/15         Carling Premiership              3rd            County Antrim Shield finalists, qualified for UEFA Europa League
2015/16         Carling Premiership              7th            Avoided relegation
2016/17         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners - CL qualification, Shield winners, Co-op Cup winners
2017/18         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2018/19         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2019/20         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Irish Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2020/21         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners, Shield Winners
2021/22         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners

Newington Y.C. - Carling Premiership - 2022/23

Our last season at Muckamore..let's get out of here!

League Table

A pretty unremarkable season overall quite frankly. We had a decent start and then I got bored (or frustrated) with the lack of goals so I began tweaking the tactics. Bad idea. We began scoring less goals, then getting beat and it wasn't until January that I actually got things back in order.

Cups

County Antrim Shield: Knocked out after extra time by Linfield.

Co-operative Cup: Unfortunatley, not a 7th Co-op Cup in a row.

JJB Irish Cup: Don't be silly, as if I could win this.

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: But this one is a gift and we trounced the finalists for good measure.

UEFA Champions League: Money money money! Seriously, I'm waiting for this competition to be anything beyond that in terms of enjoyment.

Reserves

Squad

League Table - Winners

Intermediate Cup - Winners

Steel Cup - 1st round

Under 18's

Squad

League Table - Winners

U-18 Cup - 2nd Round

The Squad

First Team: I will be trimming a good number of players this summer and I will attempt to get in a real goal-getter (don't hold your breath.)

Star Players

Rob Cooper - An excellent buy from the Aston Villa youth team, hopefully I can hold on to this gem.

Iain Waddell - He's moving for £1million + 50% clause because he wants to leave, which is a shame. He should be a good player later in his career.

Awards

Fans Player of the Year: Iain Wadell rightfully got some love from the fans.

Carling Premiership Young Player of the Year: Deserved some sort of award this season. Again a shame he's leaving us.

Club Information

Transfers

Finances

European Coefficients

Club Info Page

Facilities

Staff

Affiliates

Next Season

Well we are now in the Currie* Stadium and therefore, a new beginning. New dreams..of expanding our 5,000 all-seater capacity and hopefully we can continue building this club.

Maybe even one day in the future I'll complete the damn challenge! :rolleyes:

2021/22         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2022/23         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Setanta Cup Winners

Good going JC :thup: I'm enjoy this read. Some good progress made with 'little 'ole' Newington. Although i'm disappointed that you didn't claim a 7th consecutive Co-op Cup! ;) I'm surprised that Glenavon and even more so, Glentoran are struggling as much as they are. I had a great save on 09 where I did a similar thing with Lurgan Celtic after reading Nep's Knockbreda save and those two were always challenging for honours.

Well done on the new stadium, hopefully that's the next step you need to push on.

Newington Y.C. - Carling Premiership - 2023/24

Welcome to Currie* Stadium! Let's get this 5,000 capacity rocking! :D

League Table

Positions Graph

Thing went pretty well this season but again nothing beyond our expectations. I was disappointed to lose to Linfield twice in the league and they were also a big pain for us in the cups (although we beat them eventually.)

Cups

County Antrim Shield: For the first time in a few seasons we had our reserves make it to the final and they won the day easily.

Co-operative Cup: A good run and a great final to watch.

JJB Irish Cup: Another good run that ended with a showdown with Linfield. This one aswell, went all the way to the wire.

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: The matches this year seemed to be harder but we won the tournament all the same, making it seven in a row!

UEFA Champions League: Starting to get a bit worried that we'll never be able to progress in Europe. We seemed to be getting worse.

Reserves

Squad

League Table - Winners

Intermediate Cup - 3rd round

Steel Cup - Winners

Under 18's

Squad

League Table - Winners

U-18 Cup - Winners

The Squad

First Team: Happy with the first team squad at the moment, I'll be surprised if I add any expensive players after bringing in Griffiths for £4.5million last January (big risk..I'm well aware.)

Star Players

Craig Hancock - Great engine and really drives forward from midfield to cause problems.

Rob Cooper - Another great season from this young man.

Simon Griffiths - A big decision to buy this Arsenal regen but I was driven by the poor results in the Champions League and the fact he looked pretty damn good for 19 years of age. Hopefully he can grow and justify his fee after a very promising start with us.

Rogier Seedorf - He's been with us for a few seasons now and whilst he has now been pushed behind Griffiths in the creative forward role, he's still putting in top performances.

Robbie Watson - Incredible season for our new striker. I said last time that I wanted to get a goal getter: 47 goals from 57 starts will do. :)

Awards

Fans Player of the Year

Club Information

Transfers

Finances

European Coefficients

Club Info Page

Facilities

Staff

Affiliates

Next Season

Unfortunately I have not got any news of further expansion to the stadium which is a big disappointment.

The one thing we need to do next season is not allow ourselves to once again be the whipping boys of Europe - although it's easier said than done.

2022/23         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2023/24         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Shield Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Irish Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners

Newington Y.C. - Carling Premiership - 2024/25

Onward and upwards as they say! Could we do better in Europe?

League Table

Positions Graph

Another satisfactory season but we really should not be losing to any sides in this league. We started off with a 3-0 away defeat and I guess sometimes you can't explain these things.

Cups

County Antrim Shield: A good run, one that included an incredible match performance by Robbie Watson in the semi-final against Crusaders. Linfield went down in the final.

Co-operative Cup: Another one in the cabinet with a good day out in the final.

JJB Irish Cup: Linfield usually get us at some point every season. They chose their moment well.

Setanta All-Ireland Cup: Another year that seemed to increase the difficulty of winning this trophy. Still, we tightened our grip on being the most successfull all-Ireland champions since its inception.

UEFA Champions League: We got destroyed on a few occassions in the group stage and it is starting to really become clear that it might be a while before I can start challenging the quality sides of Europe.

Reserves

Squad

League Table - Winners

Intermediate Cup - Winners

Steel Cup - 3rd Round

Under 18's

Squad

League Table - Winners

u18's Cup - 1st Round

The Squad

First Team: The team has a great blend of youth and experience now and I will let the youthful ones blossom. Hopefully I can keep them on long-term contracts so I will not be forced to sell them for profit.

Star Players

Robbie Watson - Another great season for this man. Not as many goals as last season but I'm pretty certain that was hindered by long-terms injuries more than once.

Ian Elliot - Our vice-captain and a consistant performer on the right wing.

Michael Clarke - My background staff picked this lad out from a side in Ireland that I'd never even heard off. Thank god they did! This lad is impressive for his age and already has some Premier League & Championship sides looking at him. Has gone on to represent Ireland as well.

Rising Youth Players

Callum Hemsley - A great young centre back that could (if he fulfills his potential) become a legend at this club.

Billy Hughes - From the moment he came through our youth picks, he was ready to play in the first team, in fact my coaches rate him as one of the best players in the league at 16/17. Became the youngest player to be capped by Ireland.. but he's not the only left winger with a big future..

David Sheridan - One year older but very much in the same mold as Billy Hughes. So to avoid complication for their development, I have got them both training as right wingers so they both play if needs be.

Grant McCann - The oldest of the young players from our academy but one that is looking pretty good. Already a firm starter in central defence.

Steven Rosbotham - A young midfielder with a good overall base of attributes. I'm not sure of his future but his performances have given me optimism.

Awards

Carling Premiership Young Player of the Year - Michael Clarke took home the gong.

Fans Player of the Year - Again..

Club Information

Transfers Part 1

Transfers Part 2

Finances

European Coefficients

Club Info Page

Facilities

Staff

Affiliates

Next Season

More disappointment this summer again because the board are not expanding the stadium! :mad:

I guess we'll just try again next season and hope for (again) more luck in Europe and hopefully if our crowds grow, we'll get an expansion. :thup:

2023/24         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Shield Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Irish Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners
2024/25         Carling Premiership              1st            League Winners, Shield Winners, Co-op Cup Winners, Setanta Cup Winners

Archived