A European Ramble

HunterKiller

Following the success of my final FM11 save in Eastern and Southern Europe, this is a journeyman save that mixes big nations and small to hopefully provide a real long-term challenge and enjoyment on FM12. The following leagues have been loaded (down to lowest division):

Denmark, England, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Sweden & Turkey

Leagues added (year): none

Leagues removed (year): none

Player database is large, with no edits, and I will be starting unemployed. There are no real aims, but I am hoping to manage the following clubs at some point:

Bishop's Stortford (England) - My former local team, currently residing towards the bottom of the BSN IRL :(

AEK Athens (Greece) - I've developed a real soft spot for them from last year's version, where I won the league and cup double three times running

Lech Poznan (Poland) - The final stop on my career in FM11, sadly cut short due to the release of the frankly fantastic FM12

Liverpool (England) - My favourite club

Barcelona (Spain) - The pinnacle of football

Let the ramble commence!

Pre-Season 2011/12 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

After being unemployed for a matter of days, the first (and only to be honest) job to be offered was Kirklarelispor, a team newly promoted to the lowest playable league in Turkey. The finances are in fairly good shape for a team at this level, and as such the transfer budget is £5.5k, with a wage budget of £12k p/w. I've been given a one-year contract to June 2012 (confidence ;)) at £250 p/w.

The Squad Depth chart shows that we are fairly well catered for in most areas; centre back is the main concern, especially with the prospect I signed promptly injuring himself for a couple of months upon arrival :mad: The only problem is, a lot of the players are the wrong side of 30, and as a result the team has a, shall we say, 'veteran' look to it? Target man Ishak Topçu is likely to be important for us this year, and I'll be looking to employ a nice direct style to utilise his skills.

Transfers

With a lot of room in the wage budget, I went hunting for freebies to strengthen the team - a total of 5 players have been brought in to date, with two more scheduled to arrive in January:

Oguzhan Yalçin - My scouts raved about him, and he looks to have some quality. Can play up top, but will hopefully play the majority of his games from the right.

Adil Karpuz - Released by a third division club, Adil was brought in to strengthen our left side and looks useful.

Metin Fidan - Right back was a weak spot when I arrived, and Metin will hopefully fill that void. Currently injured though.

Anuk Emre - Signed for the problem centre back position, is relatively young and looks solid. Lack of pace may be a problem.

Süleyman Celikyurt - Didn't really need anyone on the left, but this lad is versatile and has pace so should see some match time.

Erhan Alçayir (Jan) - Good first touch and passing for this level, and my scouts are convinced he will only get better.

Oktay Ayaz (Jan) - Released by Premier Division Sivasspor, will need to work on his composure to become a useful striker.

The Season Ahead

The team are predicted to finish 15th out of seventeen teams, which as it is outside of the relegation places would do me fine! The board expect nothing, but I am quietly confident that we have enough to finish mid-table or thereabouts. I'm looking forward to spending time in Turkey, as the no foreigners rule in the Second Division is challenging and really helps me to focus on youth (if I'm here that long).

deltablue - I think we may just keep our heads above water this year!

ManUTactician247 - Thanks for reading; the 'Deadly Watermelon' (as he will now be known) is currrently my second top-scorer!

AK22 - Thanks, still disappointed about the result last night!

iseemonsters1 - I loved my time in Greece on the last game, Romania we don't talk about :o

End of season update to come soon (probably after the rugby!) :D

Season Review 2011/12 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

We confounded the critics (just) by finishing a safe 13th in the end, a comfortable 12 points clear of the relegation places. Spare a thought for the hapless Kocaelispor though, who managed an incredible 1 draw and 31 defeats from 32 games, scoring just 13 goals and shipping 118 :eek:

The year started well, and at one point I was looking more towards the playoff places than relegation, but we tailed off as injuries began to take their toll. A vital (and entirely unexpected) 1-0 away win at then-leaders Pendikspor stopped the rot with four games to go however, and we finished the season with a superb 3-2 win away at Bandirmaspor. The board are apparently 'satisfied that the club tried their best' in the league this year, which strikes me as a little harsh!

Squad - A number of these will be off in the summer as their contracts expire, and I will be looking to bring in some younger faces to replace the dead wood and the declining veterans.

Finances - Not the best as we sit nearly £150k in red, but hopefully the upcoming clearout will trim the wages.

Key Players

Oguzhan Yalçin - Although I expected to play him mostly on the right, an inhjury to target man Topçu forced me to play him up top as a poacher. Top scorer with 12 goals, but may be used in behind Ayaz next season in my 4-4-1-1 formation.

Adil Karpuz - The 'Deadly Watermelon' opened his account with two goals on his league debut, and continued to contribute throughout the season finishing with 7 goals from the left wing.

Taner Araz - Club captain and solid right back, his form forced new signing Metin Fidan first on to the bench, then onto the transfer list. Also scored a magnificent 30-yard screamer.

Honorable mention goes to young Oktay Ayaz, who came in for two matches at the end of the season once safety had been assured and chipped in with one goal and two assists.

Club Watch

Bishop's Stortford (BSN) - Finished 14th, made no impression on the cups.

AEK Athens (GSL) - Finished a disappointing 7th and missed the European places. Sacked the manager halfway through the year, but I felt it was a bit early in my career to apply :D

Lech Poznan (Ekstraklasa) - Struggled early on, but hired Bulgarian legend Hristo Stoichkov who lead them to 2nd place in the league and a Europa League place.

Liverpool (EPL) - Came third in the league behind champions Man City with Man Utd in second. Chelsea make up for a disappointing 5th place finish by winning the CL, whilst Arsenal struggle to sixth with Spurs taking 4th.

Barcelona (BBVA) - Win the league by four points from rivals Real Madrid, who knock them out of the Spanish Cup at the semi-final stage. Also suffered disappointment in the CL, losing out to OM in the quarters.

Overall

Very satisfied with the performance this year, although I feel we could have done slightly better. The worrying thing is that a lot of the regulars (especially in midfield) are either coming to the end of their careers or leaving in the summer, so I will need to be busy in the break.

Career Summary

Year       Team                 Division                         Pos             Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Kirklarelispor       Turkish Second Div (Group A)     13th            None

Pre-Season 2012/13 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

Internationals

France win the European Championship with a closely fought 1-0 win over Germany in the final, also knocking out Spain in the semis. With no surprises in the Group Stage England do well, knocking out Portugal in the quarters before losing 2-1 to old enemy Germany. Capello remains as England manager.

Transfers (Budget £7k, Wages £10.75k)

As promised, the summer was a pretty busy one for me, with a total of nine arrivals and twelve departures. The brief Kirklarelispor careers of Metin Fidan and Süleyman Celikyurt come to an end due to lack of first-team football, with a total of £9k brought into the club, whilst ten other fringe or declining players were let go on frees. Of the arrivals, only 2 were over 21 as I looked to youth for the season ahead. The new breed are:

Berkay Onarici - The oldest of the bunch at an ancient 25, looks good technically and should hold down a CM spot. Released by non-league Siirtspor.

Bertul Kocabas - I wasn't entirely sure we needed a striker, but my scouts convinced me otherwise. Needs some improvement, but could be very good.

Ilkay Durmus - Very promising left-back, previously at Stuttgart. Quick and good in the tackle.

Isa Ülger - Sixteen year-old attacking midfielder that my scouts absolutely drooled over. Apparently has great potential, and will be given some first team football this year.

Kamil Dinçer - Another sixteen year-old with massive potential. Already 6'4" and a beast in the air, what will he be like when he finishes growing? :eek:

Mehmet Kodes - More midfield cover, nothing special about him but he can play in a variety of positions which will come in useful throughout the campaign.

Tolga Mertoglu - Yet another midfielder, to my eye he looks better than Kodes and is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Yusuf Aydin - A good technical left winger, will play second fiddle to Korpuz this year but looks a good prospect.

The clearout of the established players and the arrival of the Young Ones puts us under wage budget, spending £9,300 per week.

The Season Ahead

Mid-table was the demand from the board for this season, and I'm confident we can achieve that. The squad now has an average age of 23, down from 27 last year, and it feels like there is a youthful energy about the place!

Okay, got some more meanings for you

Onarici - Repairman
:D

Aydin - Intellectual

I'll leave the nicknaming up to you
:)

Cheers ManUTactician247, all I can picture now is Onarici patrolling the midfield whilst thwacking a spanner into his palm in a threatening manner! Whilst Aydin reads some 16th century poetry on the bench.

Dinçer will be amazing at set-pieces. Just get them to kick the ball at his head ;)

He better be good at something AK, because I'm pretty sure it's not stopping the other team from scoring given his first few appearances! Tempted to play him as a target man, can't be worse than at CB!

Season Review 2012/13 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

One word - frustration :mad:

OK, so we finished 14th which to look on the bright side guarantees us another year in the division, but Holy Dalglish were we lucky that Sancaktepe, Beylerbeyi and Darica were consistently terrible. I'll explain - at the turn of the year we were sitting comfortably in 12th, no drama, let's just coast along and maybe (just maybe) sneak a look at those playoff places occasionally. The first five matches back saw us win 2, draw one and lose 2, whuch was perfectly acceptable. The last of those wins, a 5-1 mauling of the aforementioned Sancaktepe, was the last lot of three points we saw for the rest of the season.

That's 12 games. Twelve games. I tried everything, nothing worked, and we decided to lose the last six games on the spin as an encore, slipping down the table as a result. I'm surprised that a) my monitor is still in one recognisable piece, and b) I haven't free transferred the whole stinking lot of them. Still, those three teams were terrible and we survived by three points. We didn't deserve to. Plus, this man is an idiot.

Squad - No idea who is good any more, as I though they all were. Then the above happened.

Finances - Looking better than last season, but still more red than black.

Confidence - I have to say, I agree :thup:

Key Players

None! OK, a few were not completely useless...

Oguzhan Yalçin - Played well behind the front man occasionally, and chipped in with a number of goals and assists when things were going well.

Ogulcan Gökce - Joined on a free in January when I decided Dinçer wasn't ready for first-team football and did his best to bail out a sinking ship.

Ilkay Durmus - Looks like a superb prospect at left-back, let himself down a bit towards the end of the season.

Oktay Ayaz - Didn't always turn up, but ended as top scorer with 10.

Youth Intake

Didn't do this last year, as they were all carp. Will try and monitor these year by year, and watch as they fail again and again.

Remzi Özütok - Rated only one star potential, but looks to have a couple of decent stats.

Ömer Dilmen - May turn into a half decent poacher.

Cem Balci - Another striker, at least he can head and finish a bit.

Club Watch

Bishop's Stortford (BSS) - Different regional division, same result. Finished 14th.

AEK Athens (GSL) - New manager Nikos Karageorgiou (formerly of PAOK) leads them to 4th and a Europa League spot.

Lech Poznan (Ekstraklasa) - The Stoichkov magic wore off after 10 games with the club in 10th and he was shown the door. Recovered to 3rd and the Europa League for next season.

Liverpool (EPL) - Poor in the league as they finish sixth, but win the CL after defeating PL champions Man City in the final 3-1.

Barcelona (BBVA) - Pipped to the title by Real Madrid and lost out to Man City in the semis of the CL.

Overall

Poor, poor and more poor. Much better will be needed next season or I suspect the board will have me out quick smart. Received two job offers from England during the season with Bury (L2) and Grimsby (BSP) approaching me. If we start next season as we finished this one, I will be off, one way or another!

Career Summary

Year       Team                 Division                         Pos             Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Kirklarelispor       Turkish Second Div (Group A)     13th            None
2012/13    Kirklarelispor       Turkish Second Div (Group A)     14th            None

Pre-Season 2013/14 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

Transfers (Budget £2.3k, Wages £11.5k)

A few ins and outs this year, nowhere near as many as the previous summer. Old timers Topçu and Baytaroglu were got rid of for a combined total of £10k in order to reduce the wage budget and leave space for new arrivals. Three reserve team players also left as their contracts expired. That space was used to strengthen a variety of positions:

Nurullah Can - I knew a new GK was a must, as first choice Seker did not impress last season. My scouts have been raving about Can (who has Turkish second nationality), but to be honest I'm not sure if he will be our saviour this season.

Fahrettin Biyikli - Brought in as the successor to 31-year old club captain Araz, looks to have solid skills for the right back position.

Eray Ataseven (screenshot taken mid-season :o) - Hard working, skillful and just 20, should slot into the DLP position in the new 4-4-2 formation.

Burak Altiparmak - Another German with Turkish nationality, should add some quality from the right flank.

The ins and outs means our wage budget has settled at £11.2k for the season, just under budget.

The Season Ahead

The board have adjusted their aims after our dismal run last season, and merely want us to avoid relegation. Again, I'm confident we can achieve that, although if we do not have a mid-table finish I fear I may be off. Especially as Guardiola has now left Barcelona.....too ambitious?

Season Review 2013/14 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

14th. Again.

Despite the lack of movement regarding league position, I feel that there are positives to take from the season compared to last season. Nine more points, more goals scored and less conceded, plus we ended up breaking even in terms of goal difference, and at no point did I feel like quitting. Every little helps, right? :D

The poor form from the end of last year carried over into the new campaign, waiting three games to finally break our sequence without a win. Dardanelspor were the unfortunate team, going down 2-0 at Kirklareli Ataturk to two dubious Isyapan penalties. We then went another five games without a win, plunging us to rock bottom in the table. Two wins in a row lifted morale, and from then on we never really looked in any trouble, settling in our favourite 14th position for the last 13 fixtures. A 5-0 away hammering of the bottom club (including a hat-trick for the promising Ayaz) pretty much secured safety, and was followed up by an impressive 3-0 defeat of high-flying Denizli Bld back at home where all three scorers were defenders :eek: Left-back Durmus also earned international recognition, with a call-up to Turkey U21's.

We made it to the third round of the cup, seeing off bottom team Bursa on penalties and non-league Nazilli Bld in an entertaining 5-4 game. Kizilcahamamspor from Group B then ended the dream, pipping us 1-0 at their place.

Squad - Much happier with this now, although Yalçin had a poor season and with Kocabas leaving at the end of the season our striking options look a little thin

Finances - Lost a lot more than last year, and this is beginning to look a little worrying

Confidence - The board are a lot happier, as am I

Key Players

Ogulcan Gökce - Very solid season at CB, also profited from our newfound potency from set pieces by notching up five important goals

Oktay Ayaz - With strike partners Yalçin and Kocabas underperforming, Ayaz showed his growing confidence in front of goal by racking up 17 in the league

Eray Ataseven - Stepped in the DLP role perfectly allowing me to jettison the elderly Isyapan

Youth Watch

Remzi Özütok - Has not really progressed, and will probably be let go as soon as possible

Ömer Dilmen - Performed ok in the U18's, will have one more year to prove his worth

Cem Balci - Has apparently improved 'signifcantly' this year - one sub appearance for the senior team

No standouts from this year's intake, although I did uncover this beast from last year's youth - 18 years old and 6ft 6!

Club Watch

Bishop's Stortford (BSS) - A solid 11th in the BSS.

AEK Athens (GSL) - Finish a disappointing 7th, Nikos Karageorgiou being replaced by former OFI boss Pavlos Dermitzakis in March.

Lech Poznan (Ekstraklasa) - Stormed the league, wrapping up the title with 4 games to go. Knocked out of Europa League qualifiers by Dundee Utd.

Liverpool (EPL) - Bounce back from a poor showing last season by finishing third. Failed to make it past the group stages of the CL, and lost in the FA Cup final to Man City, who also win the PL.

Barcelona (BBVA) -Finish 11 points behind Real Madrid in second under the guidance of Roerto Mancini after Guardiola leaves for the Spain job in June 2013. Madrid also knock them out of the CL at the semi final stage, and beat them in the final of the Copa del Rey.

Overall

Encouraging signs for the future, and I'm confident that the move to 4-4-2 helped the results. I've signed another 1-year contract at £475, and the aim for next year is to finish above 14th. Small steps...

Career Summary

2012/13    Kirklarelispor       Turkish Second Div (Group A)     14th            None
2013/14    Kirklarelispor       Turkish Secind Div (Group A)     14th            Er...none

Thanks guys :)

FIFA World Cup 2014 - Holders Spain / Hosts Brazil

Group Stage

Group A - A massive shock as hosts Brazil crash out, losing to Denmark and drawing with minnows Japan. Ghana proceed as winners, with Denmark in second.

Group B - Slovakia surprisingly top the group with Germany in second. Newcomers Oman finish third after beating a disappointing Cameroon side.

Group C - Portugal top as expected with Colombia runner-up.

Group D - Uruguay win the group by virtue of goals scored from Italy - South Korea also finish on five points but miss out by the same method.

Group E - Chile and Algeria qualify, Belgium miss out again by goal scored as the top three finish on five points again.

Group F - Argentina and Holland qualify as expected.

Group G - England top the group with three wins and are joined by France in the next round.

Group H - Spain and Ukraine progress comfortably; Canada finish bottom with 1 point and suffer a 7-0 defeat against the holders.

Second Round

Summary

Both teams from Brazil's group crash out, Ghana falling to Germany and Denmark beaten in extra time by Slovakia. Portugal knock Italy out after extra time, whilst Colombia win the all-South American tie against Uruguay and are joined by Chile who pull off a surprise win against Holland. Argentina progress comfortably against Algeria, while Spain defeat France and England have the best of a seven-goal thriller against Ukraine.

Quarter Finals

Germany 3 - 0 Colombia

Comfortable victory for Germany

Slovakia 1 - 2 Portugal

A brace from Cristiano Ronaldo sees Portugal through to the semis against a battling Slovakia who had equalised through Vladimir Weiss.

Chile 2 - 2 Spain (Spain win 6-5 on penalties)

Chile so nearly stun holders and form team Spain; Sanchez and Vidal putting the South American team two up after 51 minutes. Llorente pulled one back with an hour to go, before Sergio Ramos picked up a second yellow card. Spain continued to press however, and Isla was the villain as he put through his own net in the 83rd minute. Fabregas scored the winning spot kick after misses from Vidal and Gonzalez for Chile and Xavi for Spain.

Argentina 4 - 1 England

England's World Cup somes to an end at the hands of an impressive Argentina side. The South Americans were three up just after the half hour, a brace from Aguero and an own goal from Jagielka doing the damage. Otamendi gave England a glimmer of hope by receiving a second yellow on 73 minutes, and Walcott pulled one back three minutes later. It was to only be a consolation however, as Aguero completed his hat-trick with ten minutes to go.

Semi Finals

Germany 0 - 1 Argentina (AET)

Argentina struggled unconvincingly to overcome a stubborn Germany side, Lepper's own goal sending them through.

Portugal 0 - 2 Spain

Goals for Silva and Villa send the holders through to the final comfortably.

Third Placed Playoff

Portugal 0 - 1 Germany

Final

Argentina 1 - 0 Spain (AET)

A typically dull World Cup final, won by Lionel Messi's tidy finish in the 93rd minute.

Awards

Best Player - Aguero

Golden Boot - Aguero

Young Player - Lukaku

Dream Team

Managers

Mario Menezes (BRA) - Sacked

Fabio Capello (ENG) - Retired

Rankings

Argentina knock Spain off the top, whilst England climb twelve places to 5th. Colombia rise 18 places to ninth, whilst USA drop from 8th to 25th.

Terrific read. Keep going mate - I will follow with interest.

As an aside, I see Kocaelispor got mullered in your first season. I thought I recognised the name and sure enough - they were top division regulars not that long ago. A shocking series of relegations! ManUTactician247 - Can you elaborate on what has happened with them?

Terrific read. Keep going mate - I will follow with interest.

As an aside, I see Kocaelispor got mullered in your first season. I thought I recognised the name and sure enough - they were top division regulars not that long ago. A shocking series of relegations! ManUTactitian247 - Can you elaborate on what has happened with them?

Not sure what you're talking about there, if you're talking about my posts, I was translating his player names.

I think he means that he was wondering what happened to Kocaelispor in real life to have them plunge from once being in the top division.

Well it's difficult to say as they were first relegated when I was 6 years old ;). Having a look back on their history, they made a come back to the Turkcell Super Lig but got relegated twice in a row, they were having money problems at the time which probably contributed to their downfall. Even last season, they could only come 12th out of 18 in the second division which was pretty poor.

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are much appreciated! Glad you enjoyed the World Cup review ~RosT~, I pretty much ignored Euro 2012 so decided to make an effort with this one!

Pre-Season 2014/15 - Kirklarelispor (Turkish Second Division Group A)

Another busy summer, although most of the departures were reserve/fringe players whose contracts had expired. Kocabas was on a ridiculous £1,100 a week and wouldn't lower his demands, so off he went. Mertoglu never lived up to his ability, and the 'Deadly Watermelon' himself was on the way down and out the door.

Ins:

Burak Can Balci - Just 20 years old, already looks like a good AM. His technique and finishing are excellent for this level.

Enver Gökçe - Another CM with great technique, will be a squad player this season.

Mert Afyon - 24 years old, he's got great flair and I expect him to start as the second striker with Ayaz.

Mustafa Ataçocugu - And the midfielders keep coming...good technique and work rate, may be the best of the CMs brought in.

Mustafa Berk Karahan - Young lad that looks to have the makings of a good CB, and with Tiraki retiring at the end of the season we will need more cover there.

Osman Milaslioglu - Last of the midfielders (honest), good stamina, positioning and tackling makes him a good backup to Ataseven in the more defensively minded role.

This is how the squad looks - I feel I may have signed a few too many in the midfield :o

The Season Ahead

Anywhere but 14th! Seriously, the board expect mid table, but I have a feeling that with the added depth we may sneak a playoff place. A lot depends on the forward trio of Ayfon, Ayaz and Yalçinstaying fit and finding form though, so fingers crossed!

Here we go :D

Balci - Someone who sells honey :p.

Mert Afyon - (Mert - Brave)(Afyon - Poppy)

Atacocugu - Son of ancestors.

Karahan - Knight.

lol, I guess your team is becoming medieval.

:D, what's Turkish for 'king' or 'emperor'? Might have to start basing my signings on these translations!

Archived